Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter's impressive performance

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter's incredible achievement

Andre de Ruyter has achieved something that no other Eskom CEO over the past fifteen years could do — reduce debt.

Eskom’s debt securities and borrowings increased from R30 billion in 2005 to over R488 billion in March 2020.

The rapid escalation of debt was a result of gross mismanagement, corruption, and poor procurement processes at the power utility.

The Medupi and Kusile mega-projects played a particularly big part.

The two coal-fired power plants were supposed to be completed by 2015 at a cost of R163-billion. Six years later they are still not finished, and their cost ballooned to R451-billion.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Many people have highlighted that Eskom is overstaffed and that an easy way to cut costs is to retrench staff. This is, however, not on the cards.

De Ruyter said from the outset they have agreed that there will be no forced retrenchments at Eskom, and this is an area which they will not budge on.
That's the main bulk of their costs though. I would guess the keyword there is forced, since e.g. power plant closing isn't "forced".

isie

Honorary Master
But he is white he is only targeting the blacks to get the money

we really need a sarcasm font here :p

d0b33

Honorary Master
He does seem to have a passion for leadership and problem solving. Not everyone has that quality which makes him the ideal person for the role.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I hate Eskom. But I can’t argue the achievements and figures presented. I hope he continues weeding out the bad elements in Eskom and someday restore the power utility to its former glory.
You are able to do that? Some people flatly refused to accept the achievements and figures when presented by the SABC last week.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Transnet, SABC and RAF.
Transnet is destroyed beyond repair. Whole train stations dismantled and stolen.
RAF "turnaround" is smoke and mirrors and "financial figure" juggling. It's easy showing a surplus when you rake in R2 billion a month, but pay out nothing.
SABC....a dinosaur that has no reason to exist anymore.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
RAF?

I might not be following that news.... mind enlightening us?
This nonsense...