Ethernet Cabling question

Supersoaker

Expert Member
When crimping cables I've tried using a cutters/normal scissors to get each wire perfectly straight (could be me) they never the same length, I untwist them, put them into order and straighten them out then I cut them, feed the wires into the jack as far as they will go until I see a exposed copper wire in each lane, sometimes I have to take the jack of and start over because they aren't cut straight. With each step I inspect the wires.

So my question is what do you guys use? I know you get crimpers with jacks that feed the cable through and cut off the ends but I want to learn the manual way of doing it.

To be clear, I have crimped a couple of cables for my house and a couple of friends, they do pass the test but I end up wasting cable every time I have to strip the cover back and repeat the steps.

lkswan747

Expert Member
RJ45.jpg

The best RJ45 connectors in my opinion are the passthrough connectors. It allows you to visually check the colour code before crimping. They have saved me many metres of cable and tons of connectors, as I used to have a few balls-ups when crimping with the standard connectors.

lowriderza

Expert Member
Unpair the strands as far as possible after pulling it out of the sleeve. Flatten all the wires properly, you can use a pen but should be able to do ot with your fingers. If the strands stay sort of in a straight line place them in order and grip firmly. Using a crimping tool cut it straight leaving enough length to push it into a jack. Holding tightly push it in and let go only when needed. It should pop into the channels. Once it is in and passes the visual test crimp it and push the sleeve back if there's exposed pairs.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
View attachment 1129520

The best RJ45 connectors in my opinion are the passthrough connectors. It allows you to visually check the colour code before crimping. They have saved me many metres of cable and tons of connectors, as I used to have a few balls-ups when crimping with the standard connectors.
Awesome tool indeed :thumbsup:

Saba'a

Executive Member
View attachment 1129520

Places to buy these pass through ones for Cat 6 cable? And cat 5e?

Usually shop at HD Cabling. Will ask them.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Firstly, the ends don't have to be straight or even reach the end bit the individual cables need to be in their own (correct) lanes. You shouldn't have any exposed copper. Just push them in and gently move side to side as you near the end and you should be fine. Note that stranded cable (flyleads) are always trickier to line up before pushing in. Use your thumb and forefinger to squash the cables down flat before grabbing the end with the other thumb and forefinger and pulling away to straighten the cable out before pushing into the jack.

WAslayer

Executive Member
In addition to buying these pass through rj45 plugs, you now have to buy the crimp tool that can cut the excess cable as you crimp..

Still don't understand what OP is doing.. my standard crimp tool cuts the cable straight every time..

Saba'a

Executive Member
In addition to buying these pass through rj45 plugs, you now have to buy the crimp tool that can cut the excess cable as you crimp..

Still don't understand what OP is doing.. my standard crimp tool cuts the cable straight every time..
Hmm dont think my crimper can do passthrough?
91a3067884f4f2b3922c83b8bba577a3.jpg
27c79de744cd7a2b951904368f944ad3.jpg

WAslayer

Executive Member
Hmm dont think my crimper can do passthrough?
91a3067884f4f2b3922c83b8bba577a3.jpg
27c79de744cd7a2b951904368f944ad3.jpg
Nope..

Need something like that.. you will notice there is a blade in the section you stuff the plug in to crimp..

Well, to be clear, you can crimp pass through, but you would then need to find some creative way to cleanly cut the wires sticking out, without cutting off your fingers, damaging the rj45 and cutting it off close enough, that you don't have a cable that now can't seat properly in the network port, because you couldn't get the wires cut close enough..

Little Mac

Honorary Master
...and they don't have to be straight if you're pushing them in anyhow. They will stop when they reach the end. Perhaps OP is using a blunt cutting blade... or it's moving and has "overbite" - I've seen cheapies do that... that might account for the bare copper as well?

mjzar

Once you've stripped it back and the strands are ordered correctly just pull it tight before cutting straight.
I haven't had any issues - there's plenty of guides on YT
Nope..

Need something like that.. you will notice there is a blade in the section you stuff the plug in to crimp..
Yeah I have that very tool, its a quality item.
You don't need it though can easily just trim the excess with a sharp blade/utility knife if you use the pass-through connector