[Feeler/Wanted] Medium to High End Android Cellphone

eshwar

[Classifieds seems to be automated, so someone move it there?]

Hi all,
Looking for a little play thing with the following minimum specs:
Haven't put it as [WANTED] since I am still trying to find out what such a phone would go for and its not too urgent.

Screen: 3.7" with Gorilla Glass or similar
Resolution: 800 x 480
Brands: HTC, Samsung, LG
Processor Clock: 1GHz single core (I guess I might settle for 800MHz but ideally no...) or better
Processor Generation: ARMv7 compatible e.g. Cortex A8 e.g. TI OMAP3xxx, Samsung Hummingbird
RAM: 512MB
Memory: either 8GB onboard or if less then, microSD required
Camera: front camera required
Networks: Must work with both 900 and 2100 MHz 2G/3G/3.5G networks i.e. Cell C HSPA+, MTN, etc
Warranty: Preferred

I have looked around and have a few models in mind.
HTC: Desire, Desire S
Samsung: Galaxy S
Google: Nexus, Nexus S
LG: Optimus Black, Optimus 2X

Actually, I wanna mess around with Custom ROMs esp Android ICS based ones. I guess an ideal buy would be from someone who got a contract upgrade but they don't want the phone? That way the warranty stays too

LOCATION: I would like to see the phone first Unless you are ok with cash on delivery.

Please do suggest any options I must have missed

Models I am not interested in:
Nothing yet, but the high end ones like Galaxy S II would obviously be expensive so those are out
HTC Desire S

Last edited:

Maverick Jester

The Special One
Nothing yet, but the high end ones like Galaxy S II would obviously be expensive so those are out

That depends on your definition of expensive?

The Galaxy S costs about R1000 less than the Galaxy S II. You can pick up a brand new S II for R4,500, and it comes with a warranty.

Link

veethree

MTN have a special on the Desire S this month for R89 per month with R100 airtime included. That's just over R2,000 for the two year period for the phone and the airtime. If you can pick up a contract, that seems like a pretty good deal.

hawker

Honorary Master
Considering you want to play with ICS ROMs don't get the Desire.

My Desire struggles a little bit with ICS ROM's -> no full hardware acceleration yet.

eshwar

MTN have a special on the Desire S this month for R89 per month with R100 airtime included. That's just over R2,000 for the two year period for the phone and the airtime. If you can pick up a contract, that seems like a pretty good deal.

I saw that. But they arent very hacking friendly. Faulty mmc implementation means the onboard storage tends to corrupt itself. I know it sounds absurd but its over on xda

eshwar

Considering you want to play with ICS ROMs don't get the Desire.

My Desire struggles a little bit with ICS ROM's -> no full hardware acceleration yet.

Thanks! Does it have an Adreno 200? My LG P500 has an Adreno 200 and it has hw acceleration to an extent :)

hawker

Honorary Master
Thanks! Does it have an Adreno 200? My LG P500 has an Adreno 200 and it has hw acceleration to an extent :)

It has an Adreno 200, they have HW acceleration working with a hack but it isn't perfect. They don't have drivers for it :(

eshwar

Yeah same problem, some driver issues with Qualcomm stuff. Not very fond of these Qualcomm guys. They dont seem very supportive!

rodga

Honorary Master
get the lg optimus black please
I need ICS in my life ;)

U can get it for 250 month on the rbm contract which is a good deal in itself

eshwar

get the lg optimus black please
I need ICS in my life ;)

U can get it for 250 month on the rbm contract which is a good deal in itself

Oh yeah! Forgot about it! The one with 500MB and 250mins and some sms right? It should be getting an official update! Sometime when the next android is out :p

rodga

Honorary Master
Oh yeah! Forgot about it! The one with 500MB and 250mins and some sms right? It should be getting an official update! Sometime when the next android is out :p
200 mins anytime/network, 100 sms/mms, 500mb data