Fiber Wi-Fi vs Copper Cable

Enthused Dragon

Hi,

So I'm trying to make a decision on internet based on Ping for MMO gaming.

I currently have a 8Mb/s copper line and getting a ping around 200ms on a good day and 300ms on a bad day.

My landlord offered to give me access to use his Fiber via WiFi, I'll have to boost it with a repeater to reach my gaming room.

So based on these facts, will it be worth accepting his offer or stay with my copper line?

I'm currently playing ESO, which is "ok" with a bit of lag.
But I plan on getting Destiny 2 and since that's a FPS it'll be terrible with lag.

Thanks in advance.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Depends on when you're gaming and when your landlord is streaming/downloading.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I have a 8Mb/s copper line with Afrihost and I usually having a ping in the range of 13ms to 75ms.

FuLL_MeT4L

Expert Member
Most of the latency you experience is due to it being an international server for your MMO, so this isn't going to be a massive improvement.

Pros:
Lower ms on Fibre (we're talking 1-5ms vs 20-60ms for ADSL)
Consistent ms on Fibre

Cons:
Landlord could potentially saturate the connection while you're gaming (depending on fibre speed).
WiFi, depending on setup, could actually add more latency, and result in greater inconsistency than the gains from fibre.

If you can borrow a repeater, your best bet is just to test this all out and see how it goes in the real world.

midkemia

fiber is better
first prize - run a cable through the roof to the fiber!
second prize -get a decent mikrotik or ubiquity AP on both sides and use them to make a wireless bridge. will add 5-50ms extra ping depending how many walls it needs to traverse. budget to add at least 5ms per single brickwall and 10ms for double brick walls.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
fiber is better
first prize - run a cable through the roof to the fiber!
second prize -get a decent mikrotik or ubiquity AP on both sides and use them to make a wireless bridge. will add 5-50ms extra ping depending how many walls it needs to traverse. budget to add at least 5ms per single brickwall and 10ms for double brick walls.

Wow. Rather budget 1-3ms per wall, 10ms is insane, signal would be dead at that point.