Fibre in Morningside Durban

RANGA555

Hi guys I live in Wallace Road Durban, I can literally see two roads that have fibre from my house those being Florida road and Innes road, I'm stuck in this little bubble with only adsl and no line of site for fixed wireless.

Does anyone know of new fibre rollout happening in the Morningside Windermere area? Back in 2019 contractors for Vumatel came and mapped the water and power lines in the road, even going as far to send a guy to make a fibre plan for my block (where they will dig and where the lines would be run etc) before getting chased away by the "construction mafia".

So that kind of shattered my dreams of getting fibre, I can only hope that someone brings fibre around this year.

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu

ghostRgg

The issue I see with that road and Windermere, in general, is that all the surrounding places have been covered. So for an FNO to roll out and cover the area, they would have to put in a lot of work to cover let's say, 50 houses.

We are busy with the Glenwood area, but have dropped you a DM to see if there is anything we can do.

HiMz

@ghostRgg i am also in the Windermere area and have also been waiting for Fibre. I am on Sutton Crescent. Any chance you can make a plan on a rollout for me?

i see a lot of Morningside has been done by Vuma and Openserve have done Essenwood but Windermere seems to be stuck in the middle with no rollout planned :(.

working from home is terrible with an ADSL connection.

Thanks

RANGA555

@ghostRgg i am also in the Windermere area and have also been waiting for Fibre. I am on Sutton Crescent. Any chance you can make a plan on a rollout for me?

i see a lot of Morningside has been done by Vuma and Openserve have done Essenwood but Windermere seems to be stuck in the middle with no rollout planned :(.

Thanks
See if you can get neighbours and such to show interest on their website. ghostfibre.com

id22

Thanks
I do work on Sutton Crescent as well . Vox, Cell C and Vuma all advertised Fibre coming soon in 2018 but nothing since. You can try rain. the 2600MHZ spectrum works as well as the 1800MHZ . you might be in luck.

RANGA555

I do work on Sutton Crescent as well . Vox, Cell C and Vuma all advertised Fibre coming soon in 2018 but nothing since. You can try rain. the 2600MHZ spectrum works as well as the 1800MHZ . you might be in luck.
My rain router doesn't work so well at home. I just use it when on site for the unlimited data between 23:00 and 18:00

HiMz

I have used RAIN and it was very bad. haha i have tried quiet a lot actually. the best for me was MTN Fixed LTE. got some really decent speeds but the data was becoming too expensive and i had to switch to 20Mbps uncapped. i actually do know alot of people who want Fibre here but i have no idea how about i go asking around for them to register interest.

RANGA555

I have used RAIN and it was very bad. haha i have tried quiet a lot actually. the best for me was MTN Fixed LTE. got some really decent speeds but the data was becoming too expensive and i had to switch to 20Mbps uncapped. i actually do know alot of people who want Fibre here but i have no idea how about i go asking around for them to register interest.
If they're in the morningside windermere area ask them to go to ghostfibre.com and show interest there. Please dude. Every bit counts

HiMz

I have an idea, i will give it to my body corporate for them to distribute in our building and buildings around the area they oversee. This should help tremendously :).

RANGA555

I have an idea, i will give it to my body corporate for them to distribute in our building and buildings around the area they oversee. This should help tremendously :).
Fantastic idea. Please please do that. Its been close to 2 years since vumatel were here

HiMz

So small update and good news. Body corporate has come back and told us Openserve is rolling out fibre here on Windermere and on Sutton crescent and sent through the forms for our trustees to sign. so all looking good and a step in the right direction. @RANGA555 not long now before we finally get Fibre by the looks of it :D

SadIvyParrot

See if you can get neighbours and such to show interest on their website. ghostfibre.com
I replied to this on another thread, I am in the Musgrave Durban area, and no one wanted fibre, they wanted to stay on dsl, it was fast enough, but more importantly the phone worked during one of Eskom's many tantrums....

No one would sign up, and believe me, folks tried, had those tents, camped right outside a huge block of flats and basically were abused, the doctors/lawyers, CA's didn't trust fibre, too many had tried wireless and it just failed, line of sight, bit in the shadow, reflected signals, problems...

Then one day a crew arrived Monday, and by Friday, I had swopped my 031 for a B number.. It will happen, I guess it is just a matter of time.. They are even doing the far south coast, so it is a process, and it will happen...

The beauty of fibre is that it is a once off.. until they figure out how to go faster than light!!! Just keep reminding them.. I gave up hope once I spoke to a number of dsl users here, promoters, all the same thing...No power, no nothing, and what if the cellphone tower goes offline?? These are legit concerns!!

ronald911

Expert Member
I replied to this on another thread, I am in the Musgrave Durban area, and no one wanted fibre, they wanted to stay on dsl, it was fast enough, but more importantly the phone worked during one of Eskom's many tantrums....

No one would sign up, and believe me, folks tried, had those tents, camped right outside a huge block of flats and basically were abused, the doctors/lawyers, CA's didn't trust fibre, too many had tried wireless and it just failed, line of sight, bit in the shadow, reflected signals, problems...

Then one day a crew arrived Monday, and by Friday, I had swopped my 031 for a B number.. It will happen, I guess it is just a matter of time.. They are even doing the far south coast, so it is a process, and it will happen...

The beauty of fibre is that it is a once off.. until they figure out how to go faster than light!!! Just keep reminding them.. I gave up hope once I spoke to a number of dsl users here, promoters, all the same thing...No power, no nothing, and what if the cellphone tower goes offline?? These are legit concerns!!
Been on Openserve fibre since for a little under 3 months now....
Most stable connection I've had all my life so far.
Even during power outages, with an inverter, it stays rock solid, where as my LTE (including phones) would lose signal. Don't know if it's the case with all Fibre providers.

Fibre is basically a much faster DSL - eg Fixed Line.

Personally I also don't trust any wireless internet. (except the last few metres, from my wifi router to some of my devices, lol)

Line of sight is slow and overpriced for most part, loses signal on cloudy / foggy days.
LTE can be good at a cost, but in many areas providers have issues scaling it to meet demand.

Perhaps Starlink could be a bit of game changer in the sense that they are reinventing satellite internet.

SadIvyParrot

I was the first user of fibre in my area, had it from the day it was installed, and it was a nightmare, hated it, wanted to go back to dial up, it was that bad, off more than it was on, and unstable, but after 3 months, as the system become embedded, it is now OMG, perfect...Going up from 8 to 25meg in the next few days..

I just wish that I had 1 ONT/Fibre/Wireless/UPS all in one that lasted for as long as an Eskom tantrum.. You see it on the 'tube, the all in one's.. we have a stupid ONT and and ... what for??? 3 yr contract and I get internet during a Eskom tantrum, yes please!!!