Fibre in Strand

Stratt

Since yesterday evening everything seems fine. But, Axxess sent me some other news today.

Apparently there will be price adjustments on all Frogfoot fibre services effective 1st June. My 100GB capped will increase from R759 to R869 which will bring it quite close to uncapped packages from other ISPs.

I assume other ISPs will follow suit on Frogfoot packages. Has anyone else received similar news?
Nope, my 100mbit is R995 p/m.

hazey

Hey guys! Strand 1.8 on Frogfoot just went live today and I thought I might re-ignite this thread. This is my area and I ordered a 100mbit package from Cape Connect. Fingers crossed it's smooth sailing with them :)

ld13

Honorary Master
Hey guys! Strand 1.8 on Frogfoot just went live today and I thought I might re-ignite this thread. This is my area and I ordered a 100mbit package from Cape Connect. Fingers crossed it's smooth sailing with them :)
What do they charge for installation?

portcullis

Cape Connect Internet Rep
Company Rep
Has someone from Frogfoot called you yet to arrange for a contractor to run the fibre run from the boundary box into your house?

If so, please call Sonja first thing on Monday so that she can co-ordinate the router delivery with the fibre activation.

If not, please call as soon as you are given a date. It makes life much easier for all parties if your router is on site and you are able to test the link before the technician leaves.

It also negates the possibility of a potentially dodgy tech who's signed himself up as a reseller for another ISP telling you untruths about whichever ISP you have chosen, and then pressuring you into signing up with another ISP. Unfortunately, this has become a "thing".

portcullis

Company Rep
What do they charge for installation?

R1885.00

No catches.
No nasty contracts.
No small print.
No need to talk to three different employees and then still buy yourself out of a contract.

If you don't like our service, you can leave at any time.

hazey

R1885.00

No catches.
No nasty contracts.
No small print.
No need to talk to three different employees and then still buy yourself out of a contract.

If you don't like our service, you can leave at any time.
I think I've already been contacted by a dodgy "techie". I was told that your terms have changed to a 3-month or something like that policy that says I have to be a customer for that time otherwise I have to buy out my contract. Is this true?

And regarding my installation, no I have not been contacted by FrogFoot. Should I just wait, or can I jump the gun and contact them?

ld13

Honorary Master
I think I've already been contacted by a dodgy "techie". I was told that your terms have changed to a 3-month or something like that policy that says I have to be a customer for that time otherwise I have to buy out my contract. Is this true?
On the cape connect page...

NOTE: Activation, setup or installation fees on third-party networks are non-negotiable and are charged on confirmed service activation. Although these products are offered on a month-to-month basis, a minimum 3 month initial contract period applies.

portcullis

Company Rep

And regarding my installation, no I have not been contacted by FrogFoot. Should I just wait, or can I jump the gun and contact them?
That would have been the owner who wrote you personally after this nonsense of contractors signing customers up for other ISPs became a thing.

We are then left with the +/- R1885.00 bill from Frogfoot for the install, the first months' pro rata (Frogfoot have a brilliant back end - as soon as the ONU goes live, we receive a certificate of completion with billing commencing 48 hours later) and a second months notice - that's how Frogfoot work. All of which we have to pay to Frogfoot, while the customer - who we have done all the hard work for - goes off with someone offering a "free" install.

The margins on networks such as Frogfoot are so small that this kind of stunt being pulled repeatedly leads to viability issues. You can only throw R2785 per 10Mb customer down the toilet so many times before it hurts.

@hazey Jumping the gun will not achieve anything. Nothing will happen until you reach the top of the queue at Frogfoot and they call to arrange the installation.

Try and keep the distance between the boundary box and your fibre termination box in the house below 30m. Recently we've received reports of contractors charging clients directly for every meter past 30m.

I need to add that we were one of the first ISPs offering service on the Frogfoot network. We've been there since Constantia was in the planning stages. Until two months ago, there were never any issues on Frogfoot. However, as the Frogfoot network increases in size, they are signing up more and more contractors to run the last mile. Not all those contractors are as honourable as the contractors we've worked with in the past.

I stand by what I said earlier. If a client has a legitimate reason for wanting to leave - for example he or she may be working on Azure servers based in Australia, and our links into Australia are slow - we will happily part ways with that client so the client can find an ISP with a direct link into Singapore or Hong Kong. We'll even help the client find a suitable ISP. However, that does not apply to the person calling us on the day of the fibre installation, saying; "I want to go with ABC because they have a free installation".

Stratt

How long did you wait for Frogfoot's contractors to contact you?
I got phoned the Thursday (network was scheduled to go live the Friday) to ask if they can install on Monday morning. The contractors arrived at 08:15, and by 10:00 the fibre was trenched, installed via trunking into the house and spliced. The link was activated on site, and I was live by 10:30am. I was really pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it was. I did however pre-order 8 months in advance.

belator

Are you on line yet?

I may be moving from my existing estate and wish to confirm that their IPv6 works on Frogfoot.

Stratt

Are you on line yet?

I may be moving from my existing estate and wish to confirm that their IPv6 works on Frogfoot.
If not, why not just use Tunnelbroker? They have presence in JHB now, and provide you with a free /64 block. Mine is up and running for the past couple of months without any issues. If you do move ISP's then you still retain your IPv6 block.

belator

If not, why not just use Tunnelbroker? They have presence in JHB now, and provide you with a free /64 block. Mine is up and running for the past couple of months without any issues. If you do move ISP's then you still retain your IPv6 block.
My IPv6 pool has remained the same despite moving from fixed wireless to PON at my house, then AEN at the new house we bought in a security estate two years ago, after selling the old house. But that's all on the CC owned network, so the PPPOE details remained the same.

Now we're looking at going "off reservation".

I've seen friends of mine in De Zalze on another ISP have no end of problems with that ISP and v6 on Frogfoot. The CC techs tell me that their native v6 works on Frogfoot. I just want to confirm that it does work, as I've grown quite fond of the long numbers.

I still prefer native IPv6 over a tunnel solution.

IanM

So we just bought in Lochnerhof and moving in November. Boundary box is not up yet with fiber cables still sticking out from the pavement. Who do I contact to have that done before we move in?

Would like that to be done at least by the time we're in. Need internet in the house asap after move in.

Stratt

So we just bought in Lochnerhof and moving in November. Boundary box is not up yet with fiber cables still sticking out from the pavement. Who do I contact to have that done before we move in?

Would like that to be done at least by the time we're in. Need internet in the house asap after move in.
Hi there and welcome to Lochnerhof. I am also in Lochnerhof, and most blocks here are active and live. If you fall within the coverage zone, just place an order with whichever ISP you choose and they will arrange to connect everything up.

Coverage: https://www.frogfootfibre.com/frogfoot/myaccount/home/frogfoot/coverage.jsp

If you don't fall within the coverage zone, I am afraid you will have to wait for fibre to be installed, if at all, or go with a Telkom line in the meantime :sick:

IanM

Hi there and welcome to Lochnerhof. I am also in Lochnerhof, and most blocks here are active and live. If you fall within the coverage zone, just place an order with whichever ISP you choose and they will arrange to connect everything up.

Coverage: https://www.frogfootfibre.com/frogfoot/myaccount/home/frogfoot/coverage.jsp

If you don't fall within the coverage zone, I am afraid you will have to wait for fibre to be installed, if at all, or go with a Telkom line in the meantime :sick:
Our place is definitely covered! Made sure of that before we put in an offer there haha!

So the boundary box will only be installed once we've ordered from an ISP? I've always been under the impression that the boundary boxes are put up at all properties regardless of whether they take up fiber or not...

ld13

Honorary Master
So the boundary box will only be installed once we've ordered from an ISP? I've always been under the impression that the boundary boxes are put up at all properties regardless of whether they take up fiber or not...
I have mainly seen those boxes in octotel areas.

Stratt

Our place is definitely covered! Made sure of that before we put in an offer there haha!

I don't have a boundary box for my fibre. They trenched directly from the mini "manhole/access hole" they installed on the sidewalk directly into my property. Those access holes on the pavement is generally not locked, open yours up if possible and check if there is fibre pigtails installed in the box. But if it says you are covered, you should be good to go. All you need is to place your order.

IanM

@Stratt @ld13 @belator ... Right so now that it's official that we're moving, which ISPs do you guys currently have and what's your experience with them? I'm currently considering Home-Connect over Frogfoot for a 200 package, but would like some other opinions. Heard good things about Cape Connect as well but don't know them very well.

I also considered Vox and CISP but recent events have pushed them back in my preferences.