Fibre is killing ADSL

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It's actually sad how far behind the US is when they should probably have been the world leaders: https://newnetworks.com/ShortSCANDALSummary.htm
Above is from 2005, supposedly it's hit $400bn in tax cuts, tariff charges etc. by 2014.
Every user has been charged a fee by cable providers to roll out fiber since the 90's or so, while the provider just pockets it.

It's actually gotten to that point that some cities are building their own fiber networks and letting ISP just resell it to customers. The problem is that some states have laws where the city is not even legally allowed to build their own network, they'd first have to go through court to get that law changed.

Another more recent article: https://nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/11/27/americans-fiber-optic-internet/ though it quotes the book of my original link.

dunkyd

Executive Member
Highly doubt that will happen for quite a while.
The fiber itself hasn't reached the limit yet, the tech on both ends is what limits it.

Plus our fiber is trenched . :p
Our area already has 3 companies wires........one seems full of breaks already.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Our area already has 3 companies wires........one seems full of breaks already.
Yeah, I also have 3 different line providers trenched outside, can swap between OpenServe, Frogfoot and Vumatel. Only missing Octotel, and I am fine with that.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
From dial-up to ADSL to LTE relegated to a WISP and now fibre I can say from my experience so far that fibre is bloody awesome.
Consistently fast, HD streaming with no buffer, with 3 other devices connected and minimal to no packet loss while gaming even on EU servers.

Thor

Honorary Master
It's actually sad how far behind the US is when they should probably have been the world leaders: https://newnetworks.com/ShortSCANDALSummary.htm
Above is from 2005, supposedly it's hit $400bn in tax cuts, tariff charges etc. by 2014.
Every user has been charged a fee by cable providers to roll out fiber since the 90's or so, while the provider just pockets it.

It's actually gotten to that point that some cities are building their own fiber networks and letting ISP just resell it to customers. The problem is that some states have laws where the city is not even legally allowed to build their own network, they'd first have to go through court to get that law changed.

Another more recent article: https://nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/11/27/americans-fiber-optic-internet/ though it quotes the book of my original link.
True capitalism, it works hence they are the world leader.

genetic

Honorary Master
From dial-up to ADSL to LTE relegated to a WISP and now fibre I can say from my experience so far that fibre is bloody awesome.
Consistently fast, HD streaming with no buffer, with 3 other devices connected and minimal to no packet loss while gaming even on EU servers.

South Africa truly moved into the 1st world of internet since the advent of fibre. My 100Mbps fibre line serves me well for now - no need to upgrade unless you are using massive amounts of data.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
True capitalism, it works hence they are the world leader.
Not really, it's more that the government didn't follow through on what was required/asked for. Capitalism would have meant that those companies would have been taken to task for failing to deliver the work they were paid for.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Week before last I saw they removed the paving on the bridge over the highway and they appeared to installing orange ducting pipes looked to be either 30 or 50mm, they were also digging up trenches towards the entrance to my neighborhood. Since then it looks nothing, the paving is just out , there's several ditches dug up.

Any idea which company uses orange ducting?

Tovad

2 phones is not something to compare fiber with.

How much do you pay per megabyte is.
What's your cap brah, and what's your cost per MB as Thor asked?

As an example the Vodacom deal recently discussed is 90/80GB for R299 so its is R3.32/R3.74 per GB

I am happy to pay anything less than R10/GB for the mobility convenience - my "cap" is what I can afford to spend..

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
As an example the Vodacom deal recently discussed is 80GB for R299 so its is R3.74 per GB
Still about 5x the price if I made a fake 1TB cap on my truely uncapped Cool Ideas fiber connection.

Tovad

Still about 5x the price if I made a fake 1TB cap on my truely uncapped Cool Ideas fiber connection.

Which means your fibre deal is twice as expensive as 4G if you use 100GB pm as I typically do

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
Fibre is killing ADSL

Point Topic released its latest World Fixed Broadband Statistics report which shows that the number of fibre connections are growing while copper-based services are declining.

The report showed that the number of copper lines globally fell by 8% over the last year, while FTTH connections increased by 22%

Ok, so what is the 100% operating service life of these fibres(quality). If fibres get old and brittle, nightmares coming.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I would go fibre if they would actually make it available here, Im literally 200 meters outside of the coverage area and they dont intend on sorting it out anytime soon.