Fifa frets over 2010 stadiums

We are probably getting a very small percentage of the $3billion that is earmarked for south asia/africa....

And that money is usually given to NGO's iirc.....

But I do agree with you, money that gets poured into Africa, invariably doesn't go where its supposed to.
The point was not where the money comes from but Gavin's musing that we don't get foreign aid. We do.
 
Fair enough, we do, but given our status on the International stage, we get a VERY small amount of it....
 
Excatly. What moron actually believes that we dont get aid from other countries? BobbyMac proved it with the articel about the $10 billion. Even if we get only $1 which i dount, its still going into the gvt's pockets. Have you seen anything done with it?
 
Fair enough, we do, but given our status on the International stage, we get a VERY small amount of it....

We get foreign AID. Our government took its sweet time to come to grips that AIDS is a killer desease and actually exists yet foreign AID to the tune of billions has been flowing into this country precisely for combating AIDS. Sorry, it doesn't matter how little it is in your eyes, in the bigger scheme of things we are a tiny country with a very small percentage of total GDP. We shouldn't need the foreign assistance but we do.
 
You do realise that if they pull the world cup our economy will plummet, there will be huge debts at the banks that can no longer be recovered and a vast amount of skilled and intelligent people would emigrate.

This would cause the economy to fall even more which will end up in SA falling apart. So I would agree with JK8 on this one and you are severely misinformed if you think it will help SA at all having the world cup pulled.
But isn't this exactly what the naysayers want? There always seems to be a contingent that wants countries in Africa, and South Africa specifically, to fail, so they can say I told you so.
 
The US wanted to be informed and the minister said we will spend it how we see fit. Yeah right.
Much more likely the US government wanted to dictate how it was spent. That is how they usually operate. The picture is never as straightforward as it appears.

Our western countries did not get where they are painlessly. Things may or may not improve in Africa depending on how and why foreign countries interfere in the area.
 
Much more likely the US government wanted to dictate how it was spent. That is how they usually operate. The picture is never as straightforward as it appears.

Our western countries did not get where they are painlessly. Things may or may not improve in Africa depending on how and why foreign countries interfere in the area.

Or maybe the US saw how the rest of the money was wasted and really wanted to help the people living with AIDS/HIV ?
 
But isn't this exactly what the naysayers want? There always seems to be a contingent that wants countries in Africa, and South Africa specifically, to fail, so they can say I told you so.
I don't think anyone wants SA to lose or fail at this. I think that putting all your eggs in one basket and making this the only priority from a talk perspective but arrogantly disregarding calls to action is firstly extremely bad but more importantly typically African. I always smirk when I hear about "Arrogant Americans" but Africans are infinitely more arrogant - especially African heads of State.
 
What's racist about that? Phonetic indication is often used when speaking to babies.
I'm sure you didn't mean it in reference to talking like a baby - is that how you would pronounce the word even if you were using phonetic indication as a means of trying to get the point across? It was obviously taking a stab at a certain race's pronounciation of the word, assuming Gavin's race, and hoping that he would understand it if you pronounced it as such.

PS: I didn't label it racist, I said there's no need for racial overtones or implications.
 
I'm sure you didn't mean it in reference to talking like a baby - is that how you would pronounce the word even if you were using phonetic indication as a means of trying to get the point across? It was obviously taking a stab at a certain race's pronounciation of the word, assuming Gavin's race, and hoping that he would understand it if you pronounced it as such.
Actually I was under the impression Gavin is white but who cares? It was my intention to treat him like a baby, the same as my treatment was meted out. So carry on crying racism as long as you want, it was not my intention.
 
Actually I was under the impression Gavin is white but who cares? It was my intention to treat him like a baby, the same as my treatment was meted out. So carry on crying racism as long as you want, it was not my intention.

I'm not black either, what possible reason would there be for me to cry racism?
 
PS: I didn't label it racist, I said there's no need for racial overtones or implications.
But you assumed I was making a racial remark based on your assumption that I was assuming Gavins race. How is that not alluding to race :confused: Gavin could be a green martian for all I care.
 
Let everybody else make up their minds about the context in which you said it.

For now, let's get back on topic.
 
Donated money all looks like it is aimed at AIDs. Such money would go wherever it is needed. Now some South African leaders may have been taken in by stupid myths surrounding AIDs. They're not alone nor is this unique to Africa. If work needs to be done here and those providing the money don't think the government is up to it, then they should do it themselves. Some African countries have definitely risen to the challenge.

The Oprah school is a private thing. It's up to her to make sure it is managed properly.

Prancing about like we own the planet makes us Americans good contenders for most arrogant.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X