Chun_li

Hi guys, so the end of next year I plan on (hopefully) getting my first car. I would like to save up and buy one rather than taking out a loan. My budget will probably be 40k and below. For many people the Citi Golf, Nissan 1400 and Tazz are good default choices for a car, plenty of parts, more reliable and cheaper to maintain than many newer cars but my issue is that they get stolen. ALOT. I don't want my car to be stolen!! So...
I've seen a few Honda Ballades generally in good condition (especially the 80s one with pop up lights)
I've seen Fiat's, French cars (the only French cars I would buy for a first car is the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107 since they share components with the Toyota Aygo) as well as a few Daihatsu's and Classics (Beetle, mini, and old Merc W123 )

I want something that can last me and be affordable to maintain so Volvo's (except the Amazon ) are out as well as newer Mercs
I don't want a ford Ka, Opel Corsa lite, Kia Picanto or Atos

Please be reasonable, don't suggest a car that costs 100k !!

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I'm afraid for that budget you won't have access to a whole lot, but maybe keep your eyes open for a good deal. You are in the lower end of the spectrum and you seem to be quite picky so I will recommend something modern but also models where parts are easy to find and affordable.

My recommendations:

VW Jetta 3
Hyundai Getz
Ford Fiesta 5th Gen
Fiat Polio
Renault Clio Mk 2

thechamp

Honorary Master
Look for a Hyundai, Nissan Sentra or the as you said the Ballade.

Chun_li

Has anyone owned or driven this model Ballade? Of so how is it compared to a Jetta/fox or Corolla

Attachments

• ad_1574350064715.jpg
    ad_1574350064715.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 29

thechamp

Honorary Master
Has anyone owned or driven this model Ballade? Of so how is it compared to a Jetta/fox or Corolla
I have never owned or driven one but it's a beast that never dies, I know a couple of people who have owned them.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Another idea is to post in the classified section of this forum, a member could be looking to get rid of an old car and you can score yourself a good deal.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I'm afraid for that budget you won't have access to a whole lot, but maybe keep your eyes open for a good deal. You are in the lower end of the spectrum and you seem to be quite picky so I will recommend something modern but also models where parts are easy to find and affordable.

My recommendations:

VW Jetta 3
Hyundai Getz
Ford Fiesta 5th Gen
Fiat Polio
Renault Clio Mk 2
Fiat Polio and the Renault are for people who are looking for trouble.

Chun_li

Fiat Polio and the Renault are for people who are looking for trouble.

My parents own a Clio and yoh the electronic components are a pain. It is a lemon though (previous owners got in a accident and never informed my parents. My parents only discovered that when they bumped into the original owners daughter)

I do like the idea of the Honda. It mixes the reliability of a Corolla but without the anxiety of it getting stolen

A3@MBB

My parents own a Clio and yoh the electronic components are a pain. It is a lemon though (previous owners got in a accident and never informed my parents. My parents only discovered that when they bumped into the original owners daughter)

I do like the idea of the Honda. It mixes the reliability of a Corolla but without the anxiety of it getting stolen
How can the car be a lemon if its been in an accident and fixed on the cheap?
It's not the manufacturers fault that its got electronic faults now.

Somewhere I saw a Opel Monza 160 GSi advertised during this week.. Bought from an old couple giving up their keys of freedom.

Chun_li

How can the car be a lemon if its been in an accident and fixed on the cheap?
It's not the manufacturers fault that its got electronic faults now.

Somewhere I saw a Opel Monza 160 GSi advertised during this week.. Bought from an old couple giving up their keys of freedom.

From what I've heard and researched 2000s French cars (like the Citroen C3) are a pain. It's not just South Africans who think this, if you search it on www.honestjohn.co.uk you can see that they also have bad experiences with them.

A3@MBB

From what I've heard and researched 2000s French cars (like the Citroen C3) are a pain. It's not just South Africans who think this, if you search it on www.honestjohn.co.uk you can see that they also have bad experiences with them.
I rather let personal experience guide me than internet forums and the telltale from a friend who have a friend that had a bad experience.

I can state from family experience (sample of 1) that the 80's Honda Ballade is a total POS. Overheating and using oil, running like a dog.

Did I factor in the probability that the 30 year old car had been serviced by a wannabe back yard mechanic and had a head job done on the cheap?

See where I'm going with this argument?

Leegov

Daihatsu Sirion 1.3
Ticks all the boxes
It has the same motor and gearbox as a Avanza 1.3
Sold as a Toyota Passo overseas