Fixed Wireless RAIN useless

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I don't see it as lucky. Fixed Rain towers seem to have good backup. Survived 2.5 today too.

That is quite impressive, we have had multiple reports of clients that haven't fared as well as you.

TELESPHORE

Another horrible weekend with Sunday being the worst. So bad could at times not even do speed test. Speed constantly below 1 MBps and sometime zero. Upload speed fine. And wort is informed by Afrihost that because I am on the edge of coverage I must get another product. NO I SHALL NOT BE BULLIED. Still waiting for RAIN letter. Joined Fixed Wireless +- Feb 2018. Apart from few issues had good speeds until November. Now I must find a new product/service because RAIN is oversubscribed and have no intention to fix the problem. Well lets hear what ICASA has to say about it. Got all the EMAIL. And if Afrihost cannot produce letter from RAIN then ICASA is going to hit Afrihost first. I have full signal on my device. Edge of service se gat. The coverage map is an emulation with safety factors already build in. Before some tech blabs about theory come do a physical check. I am sure one would be next to the tower and still get poor speeds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190218-151419_MyBroadband Speed Test.jpg
    Screenshot_20190218-151419_MyBroadband Speed Test.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 17

Anti-Chris

I haven't been able to use my RAIN fixed wireless for the last 2 weeks either. Going to cancel my service with them as soon as my new package arrives.

TELESPHORE

I haven't been able to use my RAIN fixed wireless for the last 2 weeks either. Going to cancel my service with them as soon as my new package arrives.
What package are you going to use. RAIN has been a big disappointment with no intention of keeping customers. What they shall learn is in the Telecom community once you get a pong that stays, even if your ping improves

TELESPHORE

For some reason the downloads have improved this morning. Maybe they did get more than 2 brain cells working and tuned the tower?

Anti-Chris

What package are you going to use. RAIN has been a big disappointment with no intention of keeping customers. What they shall learn is in the Telecom community once you get a pong that stays, even if your ping improves
Saw that I have coverage for CellC, so am going to try them out. Sim should arrive today.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
For some reason the downloads have improved this morning. Maybe they did get more than 2 brain cells working and tuned the tower?
With recent weather and loadshedding we have seen a number of complaints around the network, but please keep an eye out and shout if you see a major dip again.

Saw that I have coverage for CellC, so am going to try them out. Sim should arrive today.
Awesome, let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

TELESPHORE

Now Rain has responded via twitter. Not stating that I am out of coverage as they incorrectly stated before. No saying:
"The service degradation is due to congestion and we, therefore, are not able to take further investigative interventions. the service will return to its optimal performance when the congestion subsides. "

Now what kind of answers is that. No indication of fixing it. Congestion is caused by equipment failures or over-subscription or both. There must be a plan of action to resolve as it is not going to disappear by itself. Or are they waiting for subscribers to retire like Tito suggested on Gov Departments.

It seems Rain has no idea how to manage this. Think I am going to draft my complaint to ICASA this weekend and take it from there.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Now Rain has responded via twitter. Not stating that I am out of coverage as they incorrectly stated before. No saying:
"The service degradation is due to congestion and we, therefore, are not able to take further investigative interventions. the service will return to its optimal performance when the congestion subsides. "

Now what kind of answers is that. No indication of fixing it. Congestion is caused by equipment failures or over-subscription or both. There must be a plan of action to resolve as it is not going to disappear by itself. Or are they waiting for subscribers to retire like Tito suggested on Gov Departments.

It seems Rain has no idea how to manage this. Think I am going to draft my complaint to ICASA this weekend and take it from there.

Not great to hear Telesphore :( Rain are working to get their network up to speed in congested areas, I know this isn't a concrete response, but I can assure you they are doing their best to get connections more stable. Drop me a PM with your location and let's see if we can migrate you to our Cell C network instead.

namzsteve

Expert Member
If you're still using Rain fixed what what from Afrihost, please stop crying and cancel. Simple.

Anti-Chris

With recent weather and loadshedding we have seen a number of complaints around the network, but please keep an eye out and shout if you see a major dip again.

Awesome, let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:
Well... You asked me to let you know how it went so here goes...
Decided to keep the RAIN network and give it to the kids for downloads and get an additional CELLC package.
Ordered it through Afrihost and everything went smooth untill I had to take delivery...
With the RAIN package a year ago there was no issue to deliver it to my wife, this time round I designate my wife as the person that will receive the package. The courier rocks up at her work wanting to see a proof of address in my wife's name AT HER WORKPLACE!!! I spoke to the courier and explained to him that it is my package, the account is in my name and my wife will only be taking delivery since she had the proof of address in my name and my ID with her...
Couldn't sort it out so the courier left with my package and I called Afrihost... Explained the situation to a Fixed wireless manager and he promised to try and sort it out and get back to me.
A lady later called me and told me the easiest will be to change the delivery address to my work address and I should send her my work address via email and she will arrange and let me know. I sent her the details and GPS coordinates.
The following morning my wife calls me... The courier company again wants to deliver the package to her work address and they would just want to confirm if she managed to sort out the paperwork!!!
So, I logged onto the Afrihost Clientzone and cancelled the order as well as the RAIN subscription I had.
Went to a CellC store the following day and 20 minutes later I walked out with a fixed wireless package that works beautifully... Now I am just waiting for my refund of the debit order that Afrihost was quick to take off of my account... Will give it untill Friday, if it is not refunded I will just reverse it through my internet banking...
Luckily there is at least one thing from Afrihost that works and that is the online order and service cancellation...

ramsbod

Obviously, there are some issues that are out of our control so there is no way to guarantee 100% uptime. When there are issues I can assure you that we will do everything we can to try and sort this out.

Afrihost may do everything they can but they are not capable of doing much. The have so many non-technical people working their that they are useless. I will be cancelling all my Afrihost products. They are done.

ramsbod

This is really horrible to hear you say. You shouldn't have been without a connection for so long.

I know that I am getting back to you so late, but I would really like to assist you. Please send me a PM with your account information and I will get you sorted out.

Your company is useless. PM'ed you but got no response. Cancelled my product and in the process of cancelling all my Afrihost products. Your service is worse than Telkom now.

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
Not great to hear Telesphore :( Rain are working to get their network up to speed in congested areas, I know this isn't a concrete response, but I can assure you they are doing their best to get connections more stable. Drop me a PM with your location and let's see if we can migrate you to our Cell C network instead.

Oooh jinne from bad to worse.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Easier said than done. No ADSL no fibre. CellC is kak too and Telkom mobile is even worse. So what do you suggest?

No ADSL, no fibre, I'm sure there are other solutions out there. I left afrihost and went directly to Rain mobile, I also have fibre with Openserve

Bufamotis

Only reason I don't dare try netflix during the night time is data usage as data is not uncapped in those hours so the little data that one has for night time and disaster times - when mobile is down - needs to last for the entire month. Worse if using an android tv box as that tries to give you the best quality for all your data.

log into your account, and adjust your stream quality in Netflix's browser if you're using capped internet. I took my account's quality down to "Low" over December when we were on leave and using my limited afrihost mobile data. At first I was burning through the gigs at an alarming rate (4k package...yay..) and then RTFM and set it lower, we could watch three movies for a gig

"Netflix offers four data usage settings to choose from:
  • Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device
  • Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device
  • High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD
  • Auto - Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current internet connection speed
    1. Sign in to Netflix.com.
    2. Select the profile you'd like to change your data usage settings for.
      NOTE:

Data usage settings cannot be adjusted from a Kids profile.
    3. Select Account.
    4. Under My Profile, select Playback Settings.
    5. Select your desired data usage setting.
      NOTE:

Restricting data usage may affect video quality.
    6. Select Save. Your changes will take effect within 8 hours."