FNB clients being signed up for fraudulent Apple Subscriptions

Average Josephine

So about an hour ago, I got a sms from FNB saying that that a transaction has been declined due to an incorrect CVV number - which is weird because I didn't buy anything in like four days. So I do what any rational human does and I phone my banks fraud department. And I hold for a half an hour. So I put down the phone and start a chat with my friendly secure chat buddy through the FNB app. The agent tells me that the payment was for a Apple.com subscription and that I should contact the fraud department.

So I phoned them again and waited for 45 minutes before someone answers the call. I explain my issue, and I'm told that my card has been cloned (the card that I haven't used in months and that is still in my wallet that hasn't gone outside of my home in months). So the lady says that it is for an Apple.com subscription (and NO I don't even own an Apple device) and that I need to canceled my 'cloned card'.

According to the agent I spoke to, and the Team Leader I spoke to after that, this has been happening all day... And that is why it takes you more than 45 minutes to speak to a FRAUD department, that should be contactable any time of day to help clients that desperately need it.

So Apple, is it just FNB clients that you are trying to sign up for fraudulent subscriptions? Did someone in your company get a nice little client list from their friend at FNB?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So about an hour ago, I got a sms from FNB saying that that a transaction has been declined due to an incorrect CVV number - which is weird because I didn't buy anything in like four days. So I do what any rational human does and I phone my banks fraud department. And I hold for a half an hour. So I put down the phone and start a chat with my friendly secure chat buddy through the FNB app. The agent tells me that the payment was for a Apple.com subscription and that I should contact the fraud department.

So I phoned them again and waited for 45 minutes before someone answers the call. I explain my issue, and I'm told that my card has been cloned (the card that I haven't used in months and that is still in my wallet that hasn't gone outside of my home in months). So the lady says that it is for an Apple.com subscription (and NO I don't even own an Apple device) and that I need to canceled my 'cloned card'.

According to the agent I spoke to, and the Team Leader I spoke to after that, this has been happening all day... And that is why it takes you more than 45 minutes to speak to a FRAUD department, that should be contactable any time of day to help clients that desperately need it.

So Apple, is it just FNB clients that you are trying to sign up for fraudulent subscriptions? Did someone in your company get a nice little client list from their friend at FNB?
Your card that has been in your wallet for however many month means nothing, you card could have been cloned ever more months ago, but if happening on a wide scale they probably exploiting some data leaked from another source.

Anyway, no reason to get yourself in a tiff, the fraud was prevented. What are you angry about?

maumau

Honorary Master
Your card that has been in your wallet for however many month means nothing, you card could have been cloned ever more months ago, but if happening on a wide scale they probably exploiting some data leaked from another source.

Anyway, no reason to get yourself in a tiff, the fraud was prevented. What are you angry about?
Me myself I would be angry at having to hold on for 30 minutes and then again for 45 minutes .... calls are not free.

The usual trick of SMSing you but over 1 hour of your airtime solving the problem. Loathsome.

blowdart18

Phone VISA directly - tell them to cancel your card because it was stolen.

Then phone FNB back and say your card is lost - depending on your plan, free card, free delivery, less hassle then trying to deal with FNB themselves sometimes.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Haven't had any issues with this either - also FNB, I do have an apple subscription.

However, if it did happen, it would definitely be Apple trying to get an extra R60 out of me, and definitely wouldn't be a criminal trying to defraud me. Because Apple will literally go bankrupt if they don't get my extra R60. Because they're a small company who like to clone cards. Because they need the money. And criminals are trustworthy so they wouldn't do this.

So definitely Apples fault.

dlevine

Phone VISA directly - tell them to cancel your card because it was stolen.

Then phone FNB back and say your card is lost - depending on your plan, free card, free delivery, less hassle then trying to deal with FNB themselves sometimes.
just cancel card on the app and order a new one.

blowdart18

just cancel card on the app and order a new one.
No you will still be charged for any transactions that will appear on the card, the card number remains "live" on the VISA network, cancelling with FNB does not cancel the card with VISA.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Happened to me in Feb. Apple Subscription (i think they buy cards and return them for the cash) + some ubers in joburg.

Cancelled the card. Disputed the charges, and sorted out within a week. A bit painful, as I was out with family at a wine farm the time for breakfast, and spent most of the time on the phone with FNB.