FNB Galaxy 10.1 vs iPad 2

IanM

So I'm currently contemplating on getting a tablet through FNB's newish rental agreements. https://www.fnb.co.za/promotions/smartphone-tablet-in-your-hands.html

I'm considering a Galaxy 10.1 Wi-fi 32GB (R279pm) or iPad 2 Wi-fi 16GB (R265pm).

Problem is, I can't figure out which tablet to consider and I thought I'd get some info first. Let me just say that I have tested out both tablets in stores and I'm aware of both tablets' pro's and cons. But I still have a couple of questions, so if you have the answers, it would be appreciated:

1.) Hidden costs. Are there any on these rentals through FNB?

2.) Apps. I'm currently a young professional and do not want a credit card at the moment. As far as I know apps through the Apple Store can only be purchased with a credit card. I have heard that Android apps can be bought, apart from a credit card, with a FNB cheque card (Visa enabled), prepaid airtime (only a recent development) and Paypal (which I can link to my FNB account). Anyone have further info on this?

3.) Lag on Galaxy 10.1. I have noticed, while testing the tablet in a shop that there is much more lag on the Samsung tab. The iPad was smooth as a whistle, but on the home screen of the Galaxy the lag was significant and definitely noticeable. I have heard that Honeycomb 3.2 fixed this lag issue. Any truth to this?

I am currently leaning towards the Galaxy, except for the lag issue. Any info on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

kang

I can only answer your 1st question unfortunately.

There are no hidden costs except that they ask you to agree on a new type of "package" with them. If you have a gold cheque account, it still costs R92 pm but there are some added T&C's such as you're only allowed 2 (I think) free cash withdrawals a month and in-branch transactions cost a bit more.
Their aim is to promote using card and online transactions. There may be other T&C's but those are the ones I can remember but for sure there are no hidden costs.

(BTW: They say allow approx 10 days for delivery but I recieved mine in 6 days. It would've been 5 days but it had to be rerouted from JHB)

Last edited:

curbs2012

Expert Member
From what I've read, there are no hidden costs but as kang said, you are required to move to their mobile fee option. This is the main requirement to gain access to any of their deals related to these devices and the phones they offer.

As for the tablets themselves, the iPad is super smooth but has its limitations. If you know anything about Apple devices these should be well known to you. The galaxy will in comparison to the iPad, be a little laggish.

I use the Asus transformer and just updated to ICS and the lag that my device had previously is a lot less now, a lot less...

Viva

Expert Member
Lag on Galaxy 10.1. I have noticed, while testing the tablet in a shop that there is much more lag on the Samsung tab. The iPad was smooth as a whistle, but on the home screen of the Galaxy the lag was significant and definitely noticeable. I have heard that Honeycomb 3.2 fixed this lag issue. Any truth to this?
A close relative of mine has an iPad2, so I've gotten used to the feel of it - the speed and lag-free navigation. I only later got the chance to test out a Galaxy tab in a store, and I was honestly shocked at the laggy interface.

Now I'm no Apple fanboy. I have never owned an Apple product in my life, and I currently use an Android phone. Maybe someone in the know can confirm whether or not this issue can be fixed by an update. But if you are not absolutely sure that this is the case, I suggest you go for the iPad instead.

One other thing you might want to remember is that the iPad 3 will probably be announced in March.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I got the iPad 2 wifi only for R200 a month, I can't recommend iOS or android that's a personal preference, best to test them out first hand to make an informed decision. I've played with a galaxy but need an iPad for iOS projects I'm involved with.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I got this iPad via FNB and in like it. The quality feels miles better than the Galaxy...but it's just not Android. Somehow I prefer Android. But then again I have Android on my phone - do I really want Android on my tablet as well? Anyway,

1. No hidden costs

2. If you self discipline get a credit card. If you don't, STAY AWAY. I've never bought anything on Android Market but can tell you that people buy Apple apps with vouchers on iStore. I've never done that though.

3. Like I said above, the iPad's build quality is superior. But you will need to get over the fact that Apple's limitations. You can't, for instance, just plug it into any USB socket and copy stuff over. It has to work through stupid iTunes etc. But the screen doesn't lag...ever.

Frikkenator

Expert Member
Don't know about the other points, but if you've got a cheque card, that should work on all of the app stores. From their point of view it is the same as a credit card.

Viva

Expert Member
Don't know about the other points, but if you've got a cheque card, that should work on all of the app stores. From their point of view it is the same as a credit card.
+1, I use a cheque card with the Android Market and it works just fine.

RandomGRK

Expert Member
When I had my tablet, the Asus Transformer, there was also some lag. I downloaded a different launcher off the market, ADW EX, and the lag was gone. It was ipad smooth.

Overall though, I would wait to see if they offer the ipad 3 and then get that.

IanM

Thanks for the replies so far! Really made some issues more clear for me. Think I'll go to Incredible this week and ask to see the updated Galaxy with Honeycomb 3.2 (if they have it). Will keep the thread updated on the progress. Again, thanks for the replies so far. Really excited to get my hands on one of these machines!

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I have worked witht he ipad, we have one at work for testing purposes. The interface is smooth, but as i have personally owned an iphone before i will never actually buy an apple device fro myself, I was completely annoyed by the restrictions and limitations that apple imposes on the devices especially with iTunes and that was long before i got an android, after having gotten on of those there is no chance in hell I would even consider an apple device.

If you consider limitations and restrictions apple is like a strait jacket while android is more like a pari of kids plastic handcuffs, for many I can image they would prefer the restrictions. Its all once again personal preference with devices, at least with android (not sure about apple), you can use your paid apps on all your devices, its actually part of the TnC that both you and the developers agree too, as long as your email address is registered on the device you have access to all the apps you have paid for.

Laggy UI, yes "ipad" smooth i would still go 3rd party. If i had to guess, androids memory management gives the launcher a lower priority over other apps causing it to lag, 3rd party apps would technically not be a stock launcher so they are treated differently and given higher priority.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Thanks for the replies so far! Really made some issues more clear for me. Think I'll go to Incredible this week and ask to see the updated Galaxy with Honeycomb 3.2 (if they have it). Will keep the thread updated on the progress. Again, thanks for the replies so far. Really excited to get my hands on one of these machines!
I had both the devices that you are looking at currently. You will never get the Galaxy as smooth as the iPad, even if you put different launchers on it etc. It is just the way that android works and the way iOS works. iOS stops everything while using the touch screen while android still tries to do things in the background. Depending on what you want, this can be a real deal breaker either way.

That said, I preferred the Galaxy, because it still allowed me to download larger apps and podcasts etc over 3G, while the iPad simply didn't. You had to jailbreak it to get it right.

All I can say is look really close at what you want, not what the specs say. Because the specs say the Galaxy is way better than the iPad and that simply isn't the case.

Luke7777

Executive Member
On the Apple apps via Credit card : You can purchase iTunes vouchers from a place like evopoints and then just redeem the amount. Since I have a US account (ZA appstore is lame) , I use the voucher method.

On JB : If you plan to use the iPad with a Drifta, don't JB it :)

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
That was something that came out a few weeks ago, it was discovered that apple enforced a 20mb download limit on its devices when using 3G, they said it was to improve user experience and had no intention of removing it.
Problem with that was it does not read the file size beforehand so if you file exceeds 20mb you will only find out after its already downloaded 20mb as the download will just fail

rodga

Executive Member
not sure if it was mentioned
theres a delivery fee of R120 - dont think it was there when they started out??

F

Fudzy

Depending on how much you are planning on using it on the move, check out reviews in regards to battery life.

IanM

Isn't there a "collect" option instead of forking out another R120 for delivery? A bit harsh of a delivery fee if you consider places like kalahari only charge +-R50.