FNB online banking woes resolved

DarkStreet

Expert Member
I remember a while back FNB's SSL certificate expired. I called the support centre and the people had no idea what I was talking about.

kds

I remember a while back FNB's SSL certificate expired. I called the support centre and the people had no idea what I was talking about.

I had a problem with Standard Bank, where they populated the branch list for Nedbank with the wrong data, their solution? Clear your cache, close your browser, rinse, repeat. I eventually sent them screenshots detailing the problem, to this day I have had no feedback. Call centres...

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Good news. My experience has been generally exceptional.

UtterNutter

Expert Member
I experienced this problem this week. I phoned their call centre to report this and was told that their internet banking is not experiencing any issues at all.

Idiots. And "I told you so."

bex.cpt

Expert Member
in all my dealings with FNB bar 1 I have been very happy. Online banking has really been made simple and easy.

FHTheron

I'm also happy with FNB and their whole electronic system - very useful.

However, their emailed bank statements claim to be "encrypted in compliance with" some or other law, but they are most definitely not. I imagine this will be impossible to escalate to someone who even understands the difference between selecting some "Secure this document" (making things up here) menu option from Adobe and actually deploying an encryption system where the user's password isn't emailed to him.

RoganDawes

Expert Member
I'm also happy with FNB and their whole electronic system - very useful.

However, their emailed bank statements claim to be "encrypted in compliance with" some or other law, but they are most definitely not. I imagine this will be impossible to escalate to someone who even understands the difference between selecting some "Secure this document" (making things up here) menu option from Adobe and actually deploying an encryption system where the user's password isn't emailed to him.

Actually, they are encrypted, to prevent you from modifying them. a.k.a digitally signed.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
FNB sent me comment regarding the proper channels for reporting problems with FNB Online. I updated the last paragraph accordingly.

FHTheron

Ah OK, fair enough, PDFs are signed at least. That is integrity of a message, not encryption. The CSVs arrive as plain text still.
And I'm not so much worried about somebody modifying it than about somebody seeing it when they shouldn't.