FNB virtual card will launch next week

|tera|

Master of Messengers
VCpay on steroids.

It seems good though.
Especially that the virtual card itself doesn't expire, but only the CVV.
Makes payments easier as the article said.

Nimz

Executive Member
Finally! Let's hope they stick to the damn date this time

werfie

Expert Member
Wait... am I missing something...? how can you use this for subscription services if the CCV number changes every hour. It means next month when your subscription automatically renews, the CCV won't work and the subscription won't renew?

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Wait... am I missing something...? how can you use this for subscription services if the CCV number changes every hour. It means next month when your subscription automatically renews, the CCV won't work and the subscription won't renew?
A new CVV could be created with the same card is how I understand it.
So you basically 'update' the payment with new CVV as well as card details.
The actual virtual card is there until deleted.

hyarion

A new CVV could be created with the same card is how I understand it.
So you basically 'update' the payment with new CVV as well as card details.
The actual virtual card is there until deleted.
The problem is that the subscription services work on billing cycles and your CVV lasts for 1 hour. So unless you are able to update the CVV 1 hour before their billing cycle every single month, it's not going to work. You'd have to wait for the billing to fail, potentially your service to be disabled and then hope their re-activation process bills you instantly instead of a few days later.

This will be great for purchases from online stores, but unless the changing CVV is optional, it wont work for subscription services.

werfie

Expert Member
The problem is that the subscription services work on billing cycles and your CVV lasts for 1 hour. So unless you are able to update the CVV 1 hour before their billing cycle every single month, it's not going to work. You'd have to wait for the billing to fail, potentially your service to be disabled and then hope their re-activation process bills you instantly instead of a few days later.

This will be great for purchases from online stores, but unless the changing CVV is optional, it wont work for subscription services.

Yup. Precisely.

Great service for on demand purchases, but won't work for subscriptions if I understand the way it works as explained in the article... I found it a bit odd that the article is aimed at promoting the use of this for subscription services when it won't actually work for that.

|tera|

Master of Messengers

My experience with subscription services are the same. Except the ones I actually need to pay allow me to update details, even if the account was not paid.
Spotify gives a lot of leniency for my broke pocket.
Other services request the CVV only, but allows me to keep the same card and just enter CVV when making payments.
I don't have active subscriptions on my bank accounts. I usually do manual card payments.

blunt

Expert Member
I guess they have until midnight.. still sweet fcakll on my app

The_MAC

Executive Member
Great, but does it solve the FICA game they played with their customers on Sunday?