Free 3G modem and data with your ADSL through Telkom Simple

g-d-zilla

Oh big deal! Where does 500MB of data get anyone? A few e-mails and that's it!

ndlovue6

should i be honestly happy about this.........NO! epic fail telkom. you were the weakest link this year. the mampara award was supposed to go to you guys.

CellBel

Expert Member
No big deal Telkom, you will have to do better than this.
Drop price on line rental & get pre-paid customers, contracts ain't popular anymore.

Last edited:

zaidmo

I don't understand the once off part of the 500mb.
Is it 500 mb for day 1, and 0 mb for the other 729 days?

I feel sorry for the telkom marketing guys - a real hard job for them to make this package look attractive

mielieman2006

I don't understand the once off part of the 500mb.
Is it 500 mb for day 1, and 0 mb for the other 729 days?

I feel sorry for the telkom marketing guys - a real hard job for them to make this package look attractive
+1 Think its a nightmare to do their marketing ;) although i think when it comes to budget they have nearly unlimited resources @@

system32

Executive Member
Higher speeds please

ADSL 384Kbits/s - You can't do any Web 2.0 at this speed.

3G is faster than that.

The USA FCC, defines "Basic Broadband" as data transmission speeds of at least 4Mbps.

When will Telkom start lifting the minimum broadband speed?

CellBel

Expert Member
ADSL 384Kbits/s - You can't do any Web 2.0 at this speed.

3G is faster than that.

The USA FCC, defines "Basic Broadband" as data transmission speeds of at least 4Mbps.

+10 Good point.....wake up Telkom.

wayfarer

Expert Member
With everyone going the Cell C route, Telkom has excess 3G modems and don't know what to do with it. 500mb is nothing; Afrihost gives you double that for free each month, no strings attached, although that is ADSL and not mobile.

MickeyD

RIP
When the DoC / ICASA amends the SA definition of broadband?

Wag

Expert Member
Eishhh, mamparras. Hope the telkom-titanic sink quickly.

CeeBee

Expert Member
haha... we recently took over an office near Botswana, used to dial up.... woman there was also still in the mindset of 384kbps="fast internet"
I wonder when the telkom guys will get over that.... and realise that in this decade 384k is no longer fast (or as Telkom puts it on their website : FAST)
maybe that is a hidden insult to new customers to see who is retarded so they can screw them over even more since they don't know better

still.... for what u get, analogue line + ADSL + modem etc... I guess its not really bad price... if u come from dialup and basic low internet usage.
I just laugh at the image: some bloke going "hmmmm! FAST internet"
I guess shouldn't laugh... it may as well be any of my parents :)

Last edited:

Tick

Unfortunately it's Telkom, so your experience will be approximately as follows. Firstly they will 'accidentally' overbill you for something or other, like a 4Mb line when you only ordered 384, and you'll have a nightmare of a time trying to undo that. Then somehow your username/password will 'leak', and your bandwidth will get used up on the second day of the month with 20 parallel sessions. When you phone them, they will blame 'your security', then hang up on you.

And a 24-month contract with the devil? No thanks.

I don't care if they included free blow jobs from Minki van der Westhuizen in the deal, I will never buy anything 'Telkom' that I don't absolutely have to, the nightmare that will be the user experience that follows is just not worth it.

Tweak

Expert Member
CellC 4G Internet is 21 Mbit compared to telkom average of 0.3 Megabit

No Line Rental 5 Gigs for R250

Dsl Line Rental of 4Mbit Lines are R350 + Analog R150 + 3gigs Telkom Data R210

Telkom = R710
Cell C = Faster & Prepaid R250

Screw You Telkom Bitch

MickeyD

RIP
There's another catch... you have to be a NEW applicant to qualify. If you have an existing Telkom fixed line service of any kind (POTS, ISDN, dial-up, prepaid, etc) you cannot apply for the SIMPLE product. How simple?!?!

Necksy

Its gr8 to C the incumbent trying to align itself with the industry players....