• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

FTTH Rondebosch

ajules

Expert Member
I have received an email from RCID(Rondebosch Community Improvement District) canvassing interest for fibre access in the suburb.If you are based in Rondebosch and want more details or are interested in expressing your interest PM me.

Yeah please! I would love fiber, that being said I'm only studying this year and next and things usually move quite slow :/. I'm all for it though! I wonder if my road (Lyle) would count, it's technically still in Rondebosch if only just!

Kelerei

Yeah please! I would love fiber, that being said I'm only studying this year and next and things usually move quite slow :/. I'm all for it though! I wonder if my road (Lyle) would count, it's technically still in Rondebosch if only just!
Crap, you're in walking distance... :p

Lyle Road is Rosebank though. Rondebosch starts at Nursery Road (one block down from you).

Last edited:
... wow that luck though :/. That being said I would probably move a couple roads to get fiber, even for a year. It's just worth it!

ajules

Expert Member
Just an update.RCID has received sufficient responses from the community to start the RFP process and then hopefully an MOU shortly thereafter.

Shard

I've been speaking to a couple of the guys that do not so much FTTH (because FTTH is the biggest load of BS, true FTTH wont ever happen in this country), but Fibre installations.

I'm negotiating for rollout in my entire street, since it comprises alot of flat blocks. Problem is, most are people renting, so cant really pull enough demand.

So far MTN advertises that they do FTTH in Rondebosch, sent them a mail in march, got a reply last week, so MTN !@#$ off to hell as far as I'm concerned.

DFA has backbone running along main roads in Rondebosch already, ye wish were as organised as Constantia, although they sold it as a CCTV network with the added benefit of FTTH. Thats how they convinced people to have it rolled out further than just main roads.

zeely

I've been speaking to a couple of the guys that do not so much FTTH (because FTTH is the biggest load of BS, true FTTH wont ever happen in this country), but Fibre installations.
its common knowledge that telkom ftth is not real ftth, but rather fibre instead of copper as last mile. From the exchange its exactly the same as ADSL.

but other providers are (as i understand) most certainly proper FTTH - unless you know something i dont?

jackshiels

Expert Member
its common knowledge that telkom ftth is not real ftth, but rather fibre instead of copper as last mile. From the exchange its exactly the same as ADSL.

but other providers are (as i understand) most certainly proper FTTH - unless you know something i dont?
Telkom FTTH is "true" FTTH. Your connection is fibre from the house to the backbone of the net. The exchange has a fibre backhaul.

Sure, it goes through Telkom exchanges, but that is a mere technicality.

zeely

Telkom FTTH is "true" FTTH. Your connection is fibre from the house to the backbone of the net. The exchange has a fibre backhaul.

not quite - telkom fibre runs over IPC, EXACTLY the same as your adsl. That is why you can use your adsl account on a telkom FTTH line.

operators who have provisioned their own networks have no such limitations.

I suspect this is also why telkom FTTH upload speeds are 1/10th of download, whereas other providers your upload is generally 1/2 of your download speed

jackshiels

Expert Member
not quite - telkom fibre runs over IPC, EXACTLY the same as your adsl. That is why you can use your adsl account on a telkom FTTH line.

operators who have provisioned their own networks have no such limitations.

I suspect this is also why telkom FTTH upload speeds are 1/10th of download, whereas other providers your upload is generally 1/2 of your download speed
Physically it is pretty much the same as FTTH anywhere else though.

So if the exchange is delinquent and over-capacity what happens to the FTTH?

jackshiels

Expert Member
So if the exchange is delinquent and over-capacity what happens to the FTTH?
It will get congested, just like if the backhaul link to the net from Constantia fibre data centres gets oversubscribed. FTTH isn't able to circumvent poor planning.

not really - if you compare the architecture of say constantia fibre with telkom ftth, you'll find them radically different
In technical setup yes, but the general overview is that it runs via fibre from the internet to the consumer. Node model numbers don't change the game.

Telkom is indeed selling FTTH. That is why they call it FTTH.

It will get congested, just like if the backhaul link to the net from Constantia fibre data centres gets oversubscribed. FTTH isn't able to circumvent poor planning.

In technical setup yes, but the general overview is that it runs via fibre from the internet to the consumer. Node model numbers don't change the game.

Telkom is indeed selling FTTH. That is why they call it FTTH.
I would guess people are trying to get fibre to avoid telkom's poor capacity planning at the exchanges, not just faster speeds.

Sounds like it's not going to work.