Galaxy Note9

corwill

Thanks man. I am on Vodacom

Pie ,for me ,is a positive update.
Battery use is good , it''s smooth and the visible extra's eg .
Your status notification menu /messages ,, is now fully
theme able ( via Samsung theme store ).
Also the inbuilt (Samsung) Finder app, is much more detailed in a "in device "search .
No issues ,so far .
Just a note of caution ,if you ever decide to "unbrand" your device .

If you prefer voLTE ,wifi calling ( when it works !! ) , the inbuilt spam protection and Samsung Pay ,,etc
and on a Vodacom sim , you flash the unbranded XFE firmware, the result will be that
your CSC , will change to XFE/XFE/XFV .
Further, resulting in you losing above functions!
Further , no Vodacom OTA 's

I was on XFE ( PIE ) for quite a period of time( maybe 2 weeks ? )
I lost , all of above mentions functions .
( Apparently on a MTN sim ,above is available for use ?)
Yes , i could "see " these features on XFE ,but they were not available on a Vodacom sim .
The only extra ,i gained was video calling,(available for instant use /option ,from device phone dialer ).
On Vodacom ( XFV) video calling is hidden,

I'm back on XFV/XFV/XFV and volte and spam protection is back , also Samsung pay ...and the Vodacom splash screen !!
Good luck

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Only negatives I have after the Pie update is the Navigation bar not hiding itself and related to that Google assistant only works with the Navigation bar plastererd to the bottom of the screen. If hidden Google assistant is a no-go. I will be doing a factory reset over the weekend as I did not do it with the Vodacom update.

corwill

Only negatives I have after the Pie update is the Navigation bar not hiding itself and related to that Google assistant only works with the Navigation bar plastererd to the bottom of the screen. If hidden Google assistant is a no-go. I will be doing a factory reset over the weekend as I did not do it with the Vodacom update.

Read, your comment above and "tested" Navigation bar.
No issues with hiding the nav bar.
I either use 3 rd party app Shortcutter, that has Immersive
mode, that you can either set to,
no statusbar or no navbar or hide both.
You have to enable Immersive mode, with a ADB command
It's a no root app.
Google Play. (paid version) .
I even can use Nova Prime to hide navbar for me, on desktop.

Otherwise i use BxActions to set Bixby button to hide navbar, either per app basis or for all apps.

Google Assistant, works for me with Navbar hidden.
Long press, where home button is supposed to be.
It's a bit sticky, but it works fine.!

However,
I actually have Google Assistant
configured to respond/call, at any time,
whether phone is on sleep / Locked.
or if I'm using any other app.
Also have option to either
Ok Google or Hey Google.
Responds 99 % of time.

jnvdh06

Has anyone found a decent clear (without black border) full glue tempered glass screen protector?

I have been using my Note 9 without one but I recently got a moerse deep scratch on it.

I'm currently using a plastic one but would like to get a decent glass one.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Has anyone found a decent clear (without black border) full glue tempered glass screen protector?

I have been using my Note 9 without one but I recently got a moerse deep scratch on it.

I'm currently using a plastic one but would like to get a decent glass one.

I have been recently researching this, online and asking people at stores
Only came up with negative stories about the glass protectors. Touch sensitivity decreases. Swiping on the edge is uncomfortable.
I heard the gel ones are best.
So I bought one, but messed it up when installing it........:mad::mad::mad:
Now I have nothing.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Did anyone notice the option to mute the camera shutter sound has disappeared after the update?

Awesum

Expert Member
Did anyone notice the option to mute the camera shutter sound has disappeared after the update?
You can still mute it by turning the system sounds off, using the volume keys.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Sure.
But why take away that functionality to have the shutter sound muted all the time...
Now it must be done every time you take a snap (for those who want it muted anyways)

kang

Easy mute no longer works after Pie. Please tell me I'm not the only one. And then, tell me how to fix it.

kang

I just got my phone back from a screen repair and need to protect it now. I am really considering the whitestone tempered glass but at about R1k I need an alternative in the meantime.
I refuse to get a black boarderd glass.
@Zyk1 when you say gel do you mean the self healing type? Where did you get it from?

Zyk1

Expert Member
These small cell repair shops, normally owned by Pakistani gentlemen, stock these.
These are much thicker than the normal plastic protectors and they do self heal.
Around R250 to R300.
I bought one but messed up the installation so had to remove it.