General Photography

So, I went to buy a Tripod today at Orms. http://www.manfrotto.com/294-aluminum-tripod-3-sections

They have it on Special!!! Only paid like R1300 or something. I also bought a bag, Lowepro Adventura 170 shoulder bag!!!

I want to buy the Zoom lens now - as I do LOVE zoom photography, where I can zoom in close to the animals! That is my favourite, so the lens I want to get is http://www.ormsdirect.co.za/canon-ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-usm-lens Is that a good lens for nice zoom?

Lol. The fever starts..
 
Lol. The fever starts..

Does it ever end?

f074ee058ff0aaca7baee55683085b2e_zpsd5be8a13.jpg


And if course I still have my 400D. . . two of them actually. :)
 
Good beginner's tripod. Can support up to 5kg so nothing wrong with that. What head does it have on (ball-head, 3-way or what)?

I'll hang on to the "zoom lens" for now if I were you. There's too much you have to learn before you'll be able to make an informed decision on what lens to buy (refer my email to you earlier today).

Yes, thank you very much! The tripod is a 3 way the guy said. Ok, I will hang on with getting a zoom lens and first learn to use the camera.

Did you remember to get a head for that tripod?

Can't tell you much about that lens having never shot with it. I can recommend the next one on that site - the 70-200 f/4 L is a surpurb lens but it might not be long enough for you.

Yes Bwana, the tripod comes with a head. It was all on special for R1300 something. Normally he said it's worth well over R2000. So, I think it is a good bargain. Hmm, thank you for the recommendation! As I will be doing a lot of wildlife shots, I will definitely need a good zoom - I found the 26 zoom was working quite well, so need something similar to that. The thing is, in the bush you cannot get close to animals, so you do need a good zoom. I also love close-ups of the animals, which I have quite a few of that I want to enlarge on canvas and sell.

The guy at the shop said that the lense he showed me is equivilant to 15 - 20 optical zoom- which would be great. I did not know some of the lenses are so expensive!!! That one is quite reasonable at R5190.00. Other zoom lenses are like R11 - 14k. But, I think I will wait with that before I buy it - first get to know the camera!

Last question please - I would also love to dabble in long exposure shots, where water looks like mist... is that possible with the current lens on the camera? That is why i bought the tripod, to be able to do that :D
 
Does it ever end?

f074ee058ff0aaca7baee55683085b2e_zpsd5be8a13.jpg


And if course I still have my 400D. . . two of them actually. :)

WOW!!!! What a stunning collection!! How much did that BIG lens cost you? If you don't mind me asking pls.
 
Does it ever end?

No :D

Also only started getting into photography properly beginning of last year. I already have two bodies, 4 lenses, a tripod, umbrella, 1.2m softbox, 580exii, two sets of triggers, light stand, gels, rechargeable batteries x a lot and a flash head with battery pack..
 
Seeing bwana's collection reminded me how little I've spent on photography this year. I bought two new bags, and a 2nd hand 50mm f/1.4. That's it! I need to do something about that!
 
The guy at the shop said that the lense he showed me is equivilant to 15 - 20 optical zoom- which would be great. I did not know some of the lenses are so expensive!!! That one is quite reasonable at R5190.00. Other zoom lenses are like R11 - 14k. But, I think I will wait with that before I buy it - first get to know the camera!


The bad news: those R 11k to R 14k lenses are the cheaper ones. The ones I use for wildlife is in the R 75k to R 100k range.

When it comes to telephoto lenses there is an old saying.....cheap, fast, long: choose 2.


But you will understand better after reading my email and the follow up one.
 
A second flash, remote flash triggers, new bag, 17-55 f2,8, 70-200 f2,8 mk ii, 40mm STM, 32 rechargable batteries, new battery charger, strap for my 7D and then there's the 24-70 mkii and 5d mk iii that are still on order. *sigh* If you say it fast enough it doesn't sound so bad.

In my defence I did sell my 24-105 and my 70-200 f4 IS. :o
 
The bad news: those R 11k to R 14k lenses are the cheaper ones. The ones I use for wildlife is in the R 75k to R 100k range.

When it comes to telephoto lenses there is an old saying.....cheap, fast, long: choose 2.


But you will understand better after reading my email and the follow up one.
The whole photography thing is what you are wanting to achieve. I have gotten pictures with my Bigma that you will never get with your R75k - R100k lenses (and of course the other way around), but that's what you and I are happy with. You keep trying to promote *your* ideals - other people have different ideals...
 
The guy at the shop said that the lense he showed me is equivilant to 15 - 20 optical zoom- which would be great. I did not know some of the lenses are so expensive!!! That one is quite reasonable at R5190.00. Other zoom lenses are like R11 - 14k. But, I think I will wait with that before I buy it - first get to know the camera!

I think we need some clarification of terms. "Zoom" does not mean the same thing as "telephoto" - bwana's picture has several zoom lenses, including a 16-35, which could be considered a wide angle lens, even zoomed all the way in. Zoom only means you have multiple focal lengths in a single lens.

Also, the zoom factor, i.e. a 4x zoom or 20x zoom, does not say much about the focal length. A 70-200mm lens is a mere 2.8x zoom. By contrast, Canon's 15-85mm is a 5.6x zoom, despite being wider zoomed all the way in than the 70-200mm is zoomed all the way out.

So what you're really looking for is a telephoto lens, possibly with zoom capabilities. You don't say what the guy at the shop was showing you - I'm not aware of DSLR lenses that have a 20x zoom factor. The best I know of is the Nikon 18-300mm (16x zoom) which was only announced recently and is not available for sale yet. Until recently, Tamron's 18-270mm (15x) was the highest zoom factor out there.

Another thing you should consider is that, having zoom capability, is (with a few exceptions) a trade off. If you want good reach for far away animals, you will almost certainly get better results cropping pictures taken with the 70-200mm f/4 L USM than you would from just using a 17-270mm Tammy.

The Canon 70-300mm IS USM is a decent compromise between the two extremes.
 
A second flash, remote flash triggers, new bag, 17-55 f2,8, 70-200 f2,8 mk ii, 40mm STM, 32 rechargable batteries, new battery charger, strap for my 7D and then there's the 24-70 mkii and 5d mk iii that are still on order. *sigh* If you say it fast enough it doesn't sound so bad.

In my defence I did sell my 24-105 and my 70-200 f4 IS. :o

I only have a handful of camera bags to sell. And the plastic fantastic, but it's almost not worth the effort.
 
Also, the zoom factor, i.e. a 4x zoom or 20x zoom, does not say much about the focal length. A 70-200mm lens is a mere 2.8x zoom. By contrast, Canon's 15-85mm is a 5.6x zoom, despite being wider zoomed all the way in than the 70-200mm is zoomed all the way out.
Just to clarify for others how you determined those numbers . . . the 'x' factor is determined by diving the longer focal length by the shorter one. That's how you determine that the 18-55 is a 3.05x zoom or a 70-200 is a 2.85 zoom.

It's a pretty pointless number but it makes marketers happy - particularly in the point and shoot arena.
 
The whole photography thing is what you are wanting to achieve. I have gotten pictures with my Bigma that you will never get with your R75k - R100k lenses (and of course the other way around), but that's what you and I are happy with. You keep trying to promote *your* ideals - other people have different ideals...



I wasn't promoting anything, just saying how expensive lenses can be.

And btw, I don't even own those lenses, I rent them as and when needed. And worse of all I don't even get the shots with those lenses. It was not meant as a post to say people must buy certain lenses.

My longest lens is a 105mm macro. You'll also notice that I suggested she gets a 50mm f/1.8 only for now - until she understands all the ins and outs (she acknowledges that she doesn't understand focal length or f-stops) so I'd rather inform her of what it all means, why it matters, to enable her to make a more informed decision. And this I've been trying to explain in an email to her.

Oh well.....
 
Last edited:
WOW!!!! What a stunning collection!! How much did that BIG lens cost you? If you don't mind me asking pls.
I don't mind - it's not like the info isnt freely available. A hair over R90k.

FWIW - I was actually surprised when I worked out the SA price for it was lower than B&H and Adorama - and that excluded shipping, etc.
 
I think we need some clarification of terms. "Zoom" does not mean the same thing as "telephoto" - bwana's picture has several zoom lenses, including a 16-35, which could be considered a wide angle lens, even zoomed all the way in. Zoom only means you have multiple focal lengths in a single lens.

Also, the zoom factor, i.e. a 4x zoom or 20x zoom, does not say much about the focal length. A 70-200mm lens is a mere 2.8x zoom. By contrast, Canon's 15-85mm is a 5.6x zoom, despite being wider zoomed all the way in than the 70-200mm is zoomed all the way out.

So what you're really looking for is a telephoto lens, possibly with zoom capabilities. You don't say what the guy at the shop was showing you - I'm not aware of DSLR lenses that have a 20x zoom factor. The best I know of is the Nikon 18-300mm (16x zoom) which was only announced recently and is not available for sale yet. Until recently, Tamron's 18-270mm (15x) was the highest zoom factor out there.

Another thing you should consider is that, having zoom capability, is (with a few exceptions) a trade off. If you want good reach for far away animals, you will almost certainly get better results cropping pictures taken with the 70-200mm f/4 L USM than you would from just using a 17-270mm Tammy.

The Canon 70-300mm IS USM is a decent compromise between the two extremes.

That is the one I was shown at the shop :D He said to make it easy for me for now to understand, it can zoom in as much as 15 - 20 optical. I have found second hand of those ones very reasonably priced, as well as other products, that I will go view in the week. It is ok to buy second hand yes? It's almost half the price than in the shop, and still excellent condition.

Thank you also for explaining. I have received an email that explains very detailed, so I am starting to understand a lot of things, except for the f4,5,6 stuff, but that will come with time!! I have some books I need to get through also!!
 
I don't mind - it's not like the info isnt freely available. A hair over R90k.

FWIW - I was actually surprised when I worked out the SA price for it was lower than B&H and Adorama - and that excluded shipping, etc.

Jinne!!! That is a lot :( I think I will have to rent it when I go on my work trips!! But all in good time!!! NOW for the unpacking!! Been waiting all day :D :D
 
I have found second hand of those ones very reasonably priced, as well as other products, that I will go view in the week. It is ok to buy second hand yes? It's almost half the price than in the shop, and still excellent condition.

Generally, lenses tend to be OK 2nd hand, as long as they don't have obvious damage to the front and rear elements. A damaged front element doesn't necessarily affect it much (believe it or not) but as a 2nd hand buyer, it just indicates to me that the owner didn't take good care with it, so I'd be cautious.

If you're buying from a shop, ask for at least a 1 month warranty. If it doesn't give trouble within the first month, it's unlikely to.

You may also look at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II - it is seriously good value for money, and much cheaper too.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X