Fellow animal liberators, I come to you right now—as an exhausted Black man—asking for help working against systemic racism that threatens Black lives. I know personally how motivated you all are, as I am, in pushing for real change. We need to
show that energy right now.
Those of us who are active in the animal rights movement have a reason for being powerful allies. If we truly believe in empathy and compassion for all living beings, we can show it today.
Those involved in the animal rights movement know all too well how frustrating it is for people to scoff at our message, even when we’re armed with evidence of blatant injustice.
Think how infuriating it is when
videos of mother cows crying out for their stolen calves fall on deaf ears. Think of the frustration we feel when individuals try to justify the abuse when workers
punch and mutilate sheep for wool. Or when vile commenters laugh when farmers
slit the throats of conscious animals on farms. I feel it, too.
Recognize our aggravation as Black people when the powers that be try to avoid or twist the narrative around the killing of Black people by racists. Just as we know it’s indefensible to use and abuse animals, the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery and the near countless other Black lives taken because of violent bigotry are completely unjustifiable.
This is especially true when these atrocities are recorded for all the world to see. Both the animal rights movement and the Black Lives Matter movement include activists who know that horrible violence takes place off camera daily. But when people view the footage for themselves, they can no longer declare ignorance, only apathy. That’s why we must stand—and march—together.
...
Fellow animal liberators, we know the power of protesting and demonstrating. Use it now.
As a Black vegan, I don’t tiptoe between two identities—I embrace the solidarity of these two worlds. Many others do, too, as
African Americans are the fastest-growing population of vegans in the country. Living vegan is as much a lifesaver for animals as it is a
political statement against an unjust status quo.
I only ask that my fellow animal rights activists make their voices heard and show solidarity with Black people now, for this is the moment to do so. Everyone has a moral responsibly to stand against hate and unequivocal violence, no matter who the victims may be. Your voice could very well save my life.