Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon oppose Australian decryption law

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon oppose Australian decryption law

Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook have said they will object to a proposed law in Australia that compels them to provide access to private encrypted data when served with a warrant, Reuters reported.

Under the proposed legislation, fines of up to A$10 million (R100 million) for institutions and prison time for individuals will apply for failure to comply a court order to decrypt data for law enforcement.

Nobody Important

Executive Member
I want to see how this plays out. One part of me says this law was thought up by politicians who have no clue how tech works. The other part of me wonders, with a threat of big fines, will we see backdoors opening where we were promised there are no backdoors...

1538563976439.png

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
The AUS govt is one of the puppets of the US government... When the NSA says jump, they ask how high and jump, do a little song, and a dance. This is the NSA, flexing its muscles again after being kicked in the balls by Snowden. I also oppose laws such as these.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I can imagine a big surpise of law agencies (jaw-drop) when they learn how much personal information is collected by these companies.

The same law can be used to disclose encryption methods of a spyware installed on users devices. This is what these companies afraid of. Not that I support such law.