Gumtree Users... Please!

medicnick83

Paramedic
Please allow me to VENT !!! :mad:

I don't often use Gumtree but when I do, I do my level best to provide as much information as possible regarding the item I'm selling because I don't feel like doing double work - I'm one of those "work smarter, not harder" type of guys.

I mean, I take photos, I put in ± how long I've had it, if it comes with X & Y or doesn't - you know, I go all the way and include as much information as possible.

Lately, I've sold or am selling a few items on Gumtree yet when people contact me - they just piss me off so much, I actually don't even want to deal with them or go through the motions of having to sell the item.

Tonight's guy takes the cake (though, I'm sure a few of them do, maybe I'm just EXTRA irritated tonight)

I posted a ad and he contacts me, firstly - the time he contacts me... 00:40 - I mean, come on but okay, fine, I answer him (via Whatsapp)

Does it work?

Did you read the ad?

He replies with yes.

Then you know the answer.

Does it come with accessories.

Read the ad.

Can I see what it looks like?

Read the ad.

At this point, he probably picks up I'm irritated so he asks me "Why so upset" and my reply is simple;

I've taken the time to post a very informative ad - providing every bit of information you need to know regarding the item in question and yet, I'm sure you didn't bother to read it correct?

His answer was "correct"

Now you know why I'm irritated.

Silence for about 10 minutes and then he replies with "I'll come see it tomorrow and probably take it because the price is great!"

5 minutes later he asks "Is the price neg?"

I didn't bother to reply.

The above happens so often, it's not even funny - and it's only the Gumtree users that really get to me - when I advertise stuff on MyBB or Carbonite, I hardly ever have 'extra questions' asked - but Gumtree - OMG... I didn't do it to the above mentioned ad, but I did it to another ad where the first lines of text were "READ THE AD BEFORE CONTACTING ME" but then Gumtree deleted the ad - for what, I have no idea.

VENT FINISHED !!! :twisted:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It's a small price to pay for the increased exposure imo. But yeah, I'm always amazed at the idiotic responses I get to my Gumtree ads.

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
My biggest issue are the low ballers out there. I don't even bother to reply. Item is listed for 15k. Get an offer for R1500.

I list on my ads that WhatsApps will be ignored. Phone calls only.

medicnick83

Paramedic
This morning I get a request - the item is listed as R400 - he only has R200.
My reply was "Let me know once you have the R400, till then, it's open for sale and first come first serve" but even just this reply pissed me off.

Jakes147

Expert Member
The guys who respond very quickly and don't actually know what is in the ad. are most likely Nigerian scammers. They follow a shot gun approach and contact as many people as possible trying to catch out the gullible.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Yeah some people are just unable to open a link to a product page it seems. 90% of the replies are a waste of time :(

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Most "buyers" on Gumtree are just annoying as all hell from my experience.

Offer either 30% of what you're asking, or what to swap for something that is equally useless to you...

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Staff member
I hope your grammar is better in your ads than it is in your "vent"...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I just put "not negotiable" - and if someone tries I just ignore them...

...or if I get barely legible mxit speak (is it still called that?), I also ignore.

spiderkzn

I'm in same situation recently, I ad Mountain bike on Gumtree which it clearly have info and price. someone reach that he is interesting and want pick it up soon and want phone, then I can't answer the phonecall cos I'm Deaf and ask to whatsapp and I add his number on my phone to try whataspp him but he not on. then try sms him and eventually he phonecall me and I immediate use my collegue to assist phone as we did talk through that I expect highly for him to arrange come pick up my bike and payment. I find it strangely he asked how much it cost? Strangely, But it clearly there is price display on Gumtree. as I told the price then few second later he put phone down. WTF he so rude and waste my time that other interest buyer are on waiting list.

KingMikel

I'm in same situation recently, I ad Mountain bike on Gumtree which it clearly have info and price. someone reach that he is interesting and want pick it up soon and want phone, then I can't answer the phonecall cos I'm Deaf and ask to whatsapp and I add his number on my phone to try whataspp him but he not on. then try sms him and eventually he phonecall me and I immediate use my collegue to assist phone as we did talk through that I expect highly for him to arrange come pick up my bike and payment. I find it strangely he asked how much it cost? Strangely, But it clearly there is price display on Gumtree. as I told the price then few second later he put phone down. WTF he so rude and waste my time that other interest buyer are on waiting list.
How to English?

joeyhza

:wtf: