Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

enerdude

Expert Member
But that's hardly a deal, whereas the A70 deal is crazy, not sure if I want to go through the schlep of extracting my money from Takealot if it all goes tits up.
Never seen takealot make 'mistakes' on bundle deals. Also they are not like raru when it comes to refunds. I usually have the money in my bank account within 2 days in cases when the order is cancelled due to no stock left for instance.

phant1m

still waiting on mine. i tihnk monday or so is proposed date for delivery. unless i get it on weekend.

Rob123

R2038 ex vat at pclinkshop

I'm around corner from them so usually collect, but I know gauteng delivery is only R49
I made a mistake ordering this from PCLinkShop. UPS battery charge goes from 100% charged to 63% in 5 seconds when power goes off. It is only powering one PC with monitor off and a 32inch TV but it dies in less than 30 minutes.

PCLinkShop have been pathetic in following up with supplier and answering calls. Never again...

(This was for the Linkqnet 3000VA UPS). Can't even find anyone even selling it any more.

enerdude

Expert Member
I made a mistake ordering this from PCLinkShop. UPS battery charge goes from 100% charged to 63% in 5 seconds when power goes off. It is only powering one PC with monitor off and a 32inch TV but it dies in less than 30 minutes.

PCLinkShop have been pathetic in following up with supplier and answering calls. Never again...

(This was for the Linkqnet 3000VA UPS). Can't even find anyone even selling it any more.
Well that sounds normal depending what is inside your pc. A base pc without any graphic cards and fancy addons can take around 120W, the tv probably another 35W. Dont have the links with me now but you can calculate how long it will last on a online calculator for UPSs

Lupus

Honorary Master

That would probably be normal, especially if it's normal UPS batteries.

Rob123

Well that sounds normal depending what is inside your pc. A base pc without any graphic cards and fancy addons can take around 120W, the tv probably another 35W. Dont have the links with me now but you can calculate how long it will last on a online calculator for UPSs
Well it drops at a slow, consistent rate from 63% to 0% (over 30 minutes) but why does it drop from 100% to 63% immediately? That is what I need to know.

enerdude

Expert Member
Well it drops at a slow, consistent rate from 63% to 0% (over 30 minutes) but why does it drop from 100% to 63% immediately? That is what I need to know.
I assume you measure it via the usb cable and software on the pc? I have something similar on my 2000VA Mecer where it drops like 15% in the first 5 mins but then it is more stable. I am only running a router, ip phone and android tv box from mine though, so wattage is very low. Lasts 4.5 hours.

phly

Expert Member
Which is the better 2.5 - WD or seagate? I have a 2tb WD that has lasted for so long and no issues whatsoever but due to work its now full and my eyes are peeled for a good one preferably a 4TB 2.5.

WAslayer

Expert Member
It's the sudden spike in current draw, when the UPS has to take over, that causes it.. to mitigate it, you need to add the load staggered.. so, when you know loadshedding is about to happen, switch some stuff off, and then switch them on staggered, once the UPS is providing the power..

Rob123

It's the sudden spike in current draw, when the UPS has to take over, that causes it.. to mitigate it, you need to add the load staggered.. so, when you know loadshedding is about to happen, switch some stuff off, and then switch them on staggered, once the UPS is providing the power..
I hear you but I thought it was being powered by the battery all the time with the mains trickle charging it. I may be incorrect.

I would assume that shutting down my PC and letting it restart on UPS power would draw more power than letting it continue on UPS for 5 seconds?

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Which is the better 2.5 - WD or seagate? I have a 2tb WD that has lasted for so long and no issues whatsoever but due to work its now full and my eyes are peeled for a good one preferably a 4TB 2.5.
Can't speak for which is "better" but I've had two Seagate drives fail.

When I contacted Seagate support to claim on the warranty (3 year), they said they were absolutely happy to replace it (if it's really broken), all I would have to do is ship the drive to their head office... in Amsterdam.

The shipping costs far outweigh the cost to just buy a new HDD.

WAslayer

Expert Member
Can't speak for which is "better" but I've had two Seagate drives fail.

When I contacted Seagate support to claim on the warranty (3 year), they said they were absolutely happy to replace it (if it's really broken), all I would have to do is ship the drive to their head office... in Amsterdam.

The shipping costs far outweigh the cost to just buy a new HDD.
You should do the warranty replacement through the retailer the drive was purchased from...

Dan C

Honorary Master
Your batteries are not going to last long if you run them to 0%. UPSs are not meant to run things for a long period of time.