Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

enerdude

Expert Member
Your batteries are not going to last long if you run them to 0%. UPSs are not meant to run things for a long period of time.
True, learnt that the hard way. Spotted some nice replacements for my ups though - these lithium ones. These are the ones you typically need for most 1/2/3 KVA ups. Bought two of them for my 2kva ups for R849 each using the vouchers lol. Delivery will be next week and after testing these babies I will report back. These handle discharhing to 0% much kinder and they will give you more cycles than lead-acid / gel.

Also replacing a lead acid 7ah/8ah with some chinese replacement battery is going to cost you R250+ for a decent quality, so after repeating the process about 3 times you have paid same price as lithium ones in any case and the lithium should still outlast them.

enerdude

Expert Member
Can't speak for which is "better" but I've had two Seagate drives fail.

When I contacted Seagate support to claim on the warranty (3 year), they said they were absolutely happy to replace it (if it's really broken), all I would have to do is ship the drive to their head office... in Amsterdam.

The shipping costs far outweigh the cost to just buy a new HDD.
Our individual experiences might vary and you can't realy draw conclusions from it. Some people like to look at the blackblaze failure rates but even that is not a true reflection as they use enterprise drives whereas we talking about a consumer 5400rpm drive.

But for the record, I have had better results with seagate. Currently have a backup plus 4tb 2.5" ext, 2 x 6tb 3.5" ext and a 8tb 3.5" ext running for more than a year.

enerdude

Expert Member
On a lighter note, maybe those of you buying all these "hardware bargain" for yourself have forgotten about your better half (or maybe even forgotten to treat her for valentine's) - here is your chance at a bargain :cool::sneaky:
You can even apply tryme07 and get it for R325!

Dan C

Honorary Master
On a lighter note, maybe those of you buying all these "hardware bargain" for yourself have forgotten about your better half (or maybe even forgotten to treat her for valentine's) - here is your chance at a bargain :cool::sneaky:
You can even apply tryme07 and get it for R325!
Raru says TRYAGAIN.

christsim

True, learnt that the hard way. Spotted some nice replacements for my ups though - these lithium ones. These are the ones you typically need for most 1/2/3 KVA ups. Bought two of them for my 2kva ups for R849 each using the vouchers lol. Delivery will be next week and after testing these babies I will report back. These handle discharhing to 0% much kinder and they will give you more cycles than lead-acid / gel.

Also replacing a lead acid 7ah/8ah with some chinese replacement battery is going to cost you R250+ for a decent quality, so after repeating the process about 3 times you have paid same price as lithium ones in any case and the lithium should still outlast them.
Just be careful with the lithium. I think you need a special lithium charger for them. I bought one for my gate motor and after 2 months the battery would not last a four hour period of load shedding.

enerdude

Expert Member
Just be careful with the lithium. I think you need a special lithium charger for them. I bought one for my gate motor and after 2 months the battery would not last a four hour period of load shedding.
Thanks, will check with my ups supplier what they recommend.

Edit: did some googling and it seems a lead acid charger present in a "normal" ups wont cut it

Last edited:

rodga

Executive Member
Did you buy that exact one as per the link?

enerdude

Expert Member
Never h

Actually never had problems with them.
Most people don't. Until you have to get a refund for something that was not in stock. Then they first put your money in a 30 day call account before returning it to you lol.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Most people don't. Until you have to get a refund for something that was not in stock. Then they first put your money in a 30 day call account before returning it to you lol.
Sounds like Takealot... oh wait the founder of Raru sold Takealot for billions.

Swa

Honorary Master
Actually never had problems with them. Just looked at my order history and all was good.
Mine too. Seems like those cases where a few people had a bad experience and now people think it's everyone. I had the same thing with Loot and other stores during the mining craze with stock shortages. In the end I always got my money in a few days by following the correct channels.

enerdude

Expert Member
Mine too. Seems like those cases where a few people had a bad experience and now people think it's everyone. I had the same thing with Loot and other stores during the mining craze with stock shortages. In the end I always got my money in a few days by following the correct channels.
Go back in this thread and you will see it is more than just a "few" people.
Besides if I buy something I know I might be returning I would rather buy from takealot. They have a 30 day no questions asked refund policy and even collects it from me for free.

Zuner

Expert Member
I hear you but I thought it was being powered by the battery all the time with the mains trickle charging it. I may be incorrect.

I would assume that shutting down my PC and letting it restart on UPS power would draw more power than letting it continue on UPS for 5 seconds?
Depends on the UPS type, the most common type are offline UPS, meaning they switch to batteries when mains goes off batteries sit idle until then. All these 2kva ups are offline, you really have to go high end for online ups.

As for the battery percentage, a higher load means more amp draw means lower sudden voltage reading which is how the UPS monitors battery percentage. So in that instant it is actually a very inaccurate reading.
Also because of this staggering your load will just bring the voltage(and thus the battery percentage) down again. maybe it'll rise by a few percent but in the end it really doesn't matter as the same load is being drawn from the battery.