Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

waylander

Expert Member
No, these can operate completely standalone - connect via WiFi on your network. They are great if your pair 2 units for stereo speakers. They can also be connected via Bluetooth to any device, but cannot be paired as stereo speakers through Bluetooth.
It took me nearly a year of ownership to realise it had bluetooth. Thank you.

Aquadyne

Expert Member
It took me nearly a year of ownership to realise it had bluetooth. Thank you.
Yes, just a pity that you cannot use them as a standalone phone speaker & microphone through Bluetooth - it lacks the profile. You can though use it as a standalone 2-way phone through WiFi using Duo. The functionality also keeps evolving.

Totempole

Expert Member
View attachment 933550

seems like a okay deal for a OS drive
I bought one a few weeks back for a client. Keeps going on sale.

Looks nothing like the drive that's pictured and isn't actually sealed in the box, but it works fine. Didn't run any benchmarks on it, but it does seem to be old stock from around 2015.

There is space in the box for a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket which was originally supposed to be included with these drives (seen in reviews), but I can only assume they were removed to sell separately.

johnjm

Expert Member

Looks nothing like the drive that's pictured and isn't actually sealed in the box, but it works fine. Didn't run any benchmarks on it, but it does seem to be old stock from around 2015.

There is space in the box for a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket which was originally supposed to be included with these drives (seen in reviews), but I can only assume they were removed to sell separately.
What kind of flash is it?

Totempole

Expert Member
What kind of flash is it?
It's supposed to be TLC NAND with an unspecified amount of SLC cache, but I suspect it's just a cacheless SSD like most other entry-level offerings.

It does have a 3 year warranty though.

DTBA

Expert Member

can you benchmark it for us?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Last edited:

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Makro has the Sinotec 65" FHD TV for R8499, valid until tomorrow.

Wonder if it's worth it or to wait for Black Friday and see if anything better pops up in that price range

Edit: it's only R500 off the list price but it's still the cheapest 65" TV that I've managed to find online.
I'd be careful buying a 4k Smart tv. Make sure it has a newish Android version (v10 or v11 is safest), and make sure it has HDMI2

The last 2 Sinotec (Skyworth) TV's on sale at Makro last week both 50" were both HDMI 1.4 (so no 60hz 4k), and the SmartTV version was Android 5.1

Its not a complete issue if the Android version is obsolete, as you can use a 3rd party box, but no HDMI2 is a no.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I'd be careful buying a 4k Smart tv. Make sure it has a newish Android version (v10 or v11 is safest), and make sure it has HDMI2

The last 2 Sinotec (Skyworth) TV's on sale at Makro last week both 50" were both HDMI 1.4 (so no 60hz 4k), and the SmartTV version was Android 5.1

Its not a complete issue if the Android version is obsolete, as you can use a 3rd party box, but no HDMI2 is a no.
There seems to be very little info available on Sinotec, but I am looking on their website to see if I can see anything.

It seems like this particular version doesn't run Android, and probably a proprietary OS so you would probably need to factor in a TV box as well to get some functionality out of it. I found a manual online but it is very spartan and only lists things like the dimensions, weight, etc.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
There seems to be very little info available on Sinotec, but I am looking on their website to see if I can see anything.

It seems like this particular version doesn't run Android, and probably a proprietary OS so you would probably need to factor in a TV box as well to get some functionality out of it. I found a manual online but it is very spartan and only lists things like the dimensions, weight, etc.
Sinotec is Skyworth (a well know low end Chinese brand).
Sinotec appears to be their dumping ground for older stuff - eg HDMI1.4 / Android 4, Android 5 smart tv's.

I did have a post about sending the younger clone of me to Makro to get specs in another thread, so it has been checked at least by myself.

See #3,654

Segg

Expert Member
Sinotec is Skyworth (a well know low end Chinese brand).
Sinotec appears to be their dumping ground for older stuff - eg HDMI1.4 / Android 4, Android 5 smart tv's.

I did have a post about sending the younger clone of me to Makro to get specs in another thread, so it has been checked at least by myself.

See #3,654
I was always under the impression that Sinotec is grey imports "reboxed" in SA and Skyworth is regular Skyworth :unsure: I.E 2 separate companies in SA