Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

enerdude

Expert Member
Not sure if these are good prices for Romoss Powerbanks from OneDayOnly.

Grabbed the 20000mah one for a friend, not bad at all. Bought a few Romoss power banks for myself in the past, have had great service from them.

bro-da

Grabbed the 20000mah one for a friend, not bad at all. Bought a few Romoss power banks for myself in the past, have had great service from them.
seconded this comment. Still have mine and works like a champ - even passed it on to my Dad.

this is a very decent price

Jake45

Expert Member
Pick n Pay appears to have a few of the R99 Smartpower 10000mAh power banks available if anybody is interested. If you purchase two 500g Quality Street or 300g Nestle Passions chocolates you can use the CHOCLOVER coupon to get free delivery. You might be able to collect in store for no extra charge.

EDIT: If anybody purchases one of these can you confirm whether this model now offers quick charging and type C ports (10000mAh Power Bank with 18W Fast Charging TypeC (Input & Output)). The units that I bought previously do not support quick charging or type C ports.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Does your warning pertain to the fact that losing 5TB of data is going to be quite a heartsore?

I was considering the 4TB from Makro as that was only R700 more than the 2TB from Game, and then only R250 on top of the 4TB price to get a 5TB from Takealot. I went full retard, i know :X3:
Odd sizes haven't been very reliable. Some ranges even having failure rates of 5-10%. The same with those between 500MB, 1TB and 2TB. For reliability I would only consider binary sizes as those have had the best track record. Also portable has a lot of issues sometimes though that can usually be solved by shucking it.

What's the normal going price for 144Hz monitors these days? I don't want to get taken for a ride next week.

I'm guessing about R6500+ for 1440p, and R4500+ for 1080p IPS?
Depends on what you're looking for. TN is cheap relatively speaking. IPS is the best quality but expensive and not a lot of options.

Duke of Hazard

Dell G3 "Gaming" Laptop for R8999 at Game Currently, they're from 2018 I think but marked down from R14999 as Dion Wired stock

i5 Processor unsure of spec, will check if you are interested.
8GB Ram
GFX 1050 4GB Card
1TB mech HDD
Backlit keyboard
Fingerprint Reader
FHD 15.6" Screen.

Plays GTA V fairly well on battery and middle performance, one or two lags but not bad, not really into gaming but for R9k didn't expect a solid gaming PC

Luke7777

Executive Member
Anyone have any recommendation for a portable monitor for travel to use with laptop?

@skimread If you have an iPad , look at Duet for a portable 2nd screen solution. Just make sure the lighting cable is a data cable and not just a charge cable (typically the 3-in-1 types) . I saw your 14-15" preference as well :). What's nice about Duet is that when I'm away from home I always have laptop and iPad , so it's easy to use. iPad is only 9..7" , but it works well

Last edited:

skimread

Honorary Master
@skimread If you have an iPad , look at Duet for a portable 2nd screen solution. Just make sure the lighting cable is a data cable and not just a charge cable (typically the 3-in-1 types) . I saw your 14-15" preference as well :). What's nice about Duet is that when I'm away from home I always have laptop and iPad , so it's easy to use. iPad is only 9..7" , but it works well
Do you clip your ipad onto your screen or put it in a stand?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Dell G3 "Gaming" Laptop for R8999 at Game Currently, they're from 2018 I think but marked down from R14999 as Dion Wired stock

i5 Processor unsure of spec, will check if you are interested.
8GB Ram
GFX 1050 4GB Card
1TB mech HDD
Backlit keyboard
Fingerprint Reader
FHD 15.6" Screen.

Plays GTA V fairly well on battery and middle performance, one or two lags but not bad, not really into gaming but for R9k didn't expect a solid gaming PC
Don't see it at that price?

phant1m

i think its only in store you will see the price. Because this is all old Dion stock marked down.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
R599 for this, it was R899 last week which seems to be the going rate. I'm undecided on whether this is a bargain or not? It's also currently on eBucks.com for R749 excluding delivery.

1606131575146.png

Feed-Forward ANC Reduces External Noise and gives you the best listening experience.

Supports Hands Free Calling with a walk-and-talk function.

Neckband Support for added levels of comfort.

Up to 9 Hours Play Time. Perfect for those longer journeys where longer playtime is important.

Carry Case, Extra Ear Caps and Charging Cable Included. Everything you need from a pair of earphones.

Remove noisy distractions with the Volkano Silenzio Series Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Earphones. ANC technology uses the earphones' built-in microphone to analyze external noise and produce a competing signal that effectively cancels out the incoming sound waves, meaning you only hear what is playing through your earphones. Ideal for a noisy office, studying or for when you want to listen to your favorite music or podcast without interruptions. You can also use your Silenzio earphones to take calls, hands free over Bluetooth.

What's in the box
Protective Carry Case
Extra set of buds
USB Micro charge cable
Instruction Manual

K3NS31

Expert Member
Odd sizes haven't been very reliable. snip...
That was like 10 years ago and even back then I never saw reliable stats to prove this. It was mostly anecdotal.
(FWIW, was based on the fact that you had to add an extra platter for odd-sized drives, increasing complexity and points of possible failure).

K3NS31

Expert Member
R599 for this, it was R899 last week which seems to be the going rate. I'm undecided on whether this is a bargain or not? It's also currently on eBucks.com for R749 excluding delivery.

View attachment 958263
I have the full-sized (over-ear) Volkanos with ANC. They're great for their price, and more importantly, they're as good / better than anything up to about R2000 - R3000 (which is basically the cheapie price range when it comes to Bluetooth with ANC). I specifically tested several JVC and Skullcandy in that price bracket at the time and those were a match for the top end ones and better than the rest.

That being said, that doesn't mean these earbuds will be comparable, but it's a good sign, imho.