Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Swa

Honorary Master
Anybody able to find that Checkers monitor bracket again? Their flyer says Xceed but the picture someone posted says it's SCE. I can't find it on their site or anywhere else.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Anybody able to find that Checkers monitor bracket again? Their flyer says Xceed but the picture someone posted says it's SCE. I can't find it on their site or anywhere else.
The bracket is definitely SCE..

Reactions: Swa

WAslayer

Executive Member
Seen it in store again or was this a once off thing?
It should still be in store.. haven't been in a while.. it wasn't a stock clearance they were trying to do with the initial sale they had.. unless they have now removed it from the shelves..

moondoggie86

Saw it last weekend at Checkers Somerset West. They had a lot of stock. The single arm bracket was 500 and double was 800 if mammary serves.

Was in the bracket isle connecting to the electronics section.

animehero

Expert Member
Saw it last weekend at Checkers Somerset West. They had a lot of stock. The single arm bracket was 500 and double was 800 if mammary serves.

Was in the bracket isle connecting to the electronics section.
Yeah I'm sure I saw some there last time too.
Can confirm tomorrow for you guys

SureThing

What does SCE mean in relation to quality and are these stable arms, not wobbly with every move at the desk? Max size screens it can take and I assume they desk mounted only?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
What does SCE mean in relation to quality and are these stable arms, not wobbly with every move at the desk? Max size screens it can take and I assume they desk mounted only?
SCE is to Checkers what AIM is to Pick n Pay. Not sure about the quality though

WAslayer

Executive Member
I have the double arm one and I was honestly very sceptical but, at the 400 bucks it was worth a risk..

Man, let me tell you, I was shocked at how well the thing is built and how stable it is.. held my two 24" monitors without issue and did not wobble at all, not even in the slightest..

It is desk mount only, either through hole or side mount.. I do not recall max screen size weight it claimed it on the box though, at minimum two 24" though..

johnjm

Expert Member
iPad mini 5 is 7699 at takealot. You guys think I should get it or wait for the new one this year?

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
iPad mini 5 is 7699 at takealot. You guys think I should get it or wait for the new one this year?
macrumors says wait. Thats a good price though. new one launching in march (allegedly)

I loved mine, shame those cnuts stole it last year with the rest of my stuff :(
It did pop up on find my device, but I'm sure they icloud bypassed it...

johnjm

Expert Member
macrumors says wait. Thats a good price though. new one launching in march (allegedly)

I loved mine, shame those cnuts stole it last year with the rest of my stuff :(
It did pop up on find my device, but I'm sure they icloud bypassed it...

Yeah it happened to my folks.... thanks for the link, I see the replacement will probably be at the same price point so I’ll just wait a few months I suppose...

Archie1

Can anyone recommend an i5 laptop? Cousin is looking for one to work from home. Budget is max R10k. Not for intensive tasks - I think she tutors kids online.

I was looking around and prices for i5 laptops have really shot up. Even a desktop would be fine if cheaper.

Exaelea

Can anyone recommend an i5 laptop? Cousin is looking for one to work from home. Budget is max R10k. Not for intensive tasks - I think she tutors kids online.

I was looking around and prices for i5 laptops have really shot up. Even a desktop would be fine if cheaper.
Not intensive and online tutoring? just get an i3 10th gen or go Ryzen 3, more than enough for what she needs. Just needs to have a SSD, mechanical drives should go die in a fire

Desktops wont be cheaper new, the tower alone is usually more than a laptop of equivalent spec

Archie1

Not intensive and online tutoring? just get an i3 10th gen or go Ryzen 3, more than enough for what she needs. Just needs to have a SSD, mechanical drives should go die in a fire
Considered i3 but she's adamant on an i5 for whatever reason. Think we will go with a refurbished laptop from universe direct.

Exaelea

Considered i3 but she's adamant on an i5 for whatever reason. Think we will go with a refurbished laptop from universe direct.
Its a real pitty people think they need a i5 for most common home use like 5-10 years ago, from 8th gen they have really stepped up in terms of what they can do. Ryzen's being even better obviously

If you go refurbished or 2nd hand @Flashgear he has good deals usually or can source you a deal