Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

WAslayer

Executive Member
Considered i3 but she's adamant on an i5 for whatever reason. Think we will go with a refurbished laptop from universe direct.

10.6k if you go 256gb nvme add and 8gb ram ( which you could upgrade later)

Won't cover the OS though but, a few guys here and on carb selling windows license keys for 100bucks or so..

Adoxographist

Can anyone recommend an i5 laptop? Cousin is looking for one to work from home. Budget is max R10k. Not for intensive tasks - I think she tutors kids online.

I was looking around and prices for i5 laptops have really shot up. Even a desktop would be fine if cheaper.

There are some resellers on Carbonite selling them around r7-8 k

enerdude

Expert Member
Anyone bought from snatcher.co.za yet? Did a quick browse and my eye caught this Stainless Steel Self Stirring Mug. I left it in my cart and after an hour got an email about 'did you forget something' with a R20 voucher.

Their shipping to my Gauteng address is R79 for a single item.

edit: usb c to usb 3.0 adapter for R24 - handy for plugging a normal usb stick into your phone

Last edited:

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Anyone bought from snatcher.co.za yet? Did a quick browse and my eye caught this Stainless Steel Self Stirring Mug. I left it in my cart and after an hour got an email about 'did you forget something' with a R20 voucher.

edit: usb c to usb 3.0 adapter for R24 - handy for plugging a normal usb stick into your phone
I've bought from them before, and the stuff arrived in one piece although they sent the wrong item. They replaced it with the correct one free of charge and didn't ask for the wrong one back.

Only 'issue' I had was shipping took a little longer than expected but it was during our level 5 lockdown so was to be expected.

Leisure Larry

I've bought a few times recently. No issues.

Conack

Expert Member

I placed an order from them a year odd ago:

5x 20k MAH power banks - all fakes. Only charges a few minutes.
Exploding Kittens card pack - knock-off printed on poor quality cardboard.
One or two other items, also worthless.

I'd be very careful buying from there. Didn't get a refund.

enerdude

Expert Member

Was it a knockoff of a well known brand? I think one should be fine if you buy well known brands, I for instance only buy romoss power banks as they are good quality and have had a good experience with them. If I look at @PhireSide's experience it seemed they replaced / refunded without asking questions?

I will report back when my order is delivered.

Conack

Expert Member
Was it a knockoff of a well known brand? I think one should be fine if you buy well known brands, I for instance only buy romoss power banks as they are good quality and have had a good experience with them. If I look at @PhireSide's experience it seemed they replaced / refunded without asking questions?

I will report back when my order is delivered.

Was listed as "20,000mah Power Universal Battery Bank". It looks and feels legit, but not one of them lasted more than 5 minutes after charging for 2 days.
Exploding Kittens was also listed as the legit item but random cards were missing, others duplicate and the card quality very poor - like a home made job.

enerdude

Expert Member
Was listed as "20,000mah Power Universal Battery Bank". It looks and feels legit, but not one of them lasted more than 5 minutes after charging for 2 days.
Exploding Kittens was also listed as the legit item but random cards were missing, others duplicate and the card quality very poor - like a home made job.
Yeah I would stick to brand names rather then with them. I for instance ordered the orico usb c to usb 3.0 converter. I know the Orico brand so should be fine but will report back once I have it as I will be able to tell if it is the genuine brand or not.

Immy

@enerdude @Conack
Also bought some items and a "30K mAh" powerbank from Snatcher...

Complained about it only being able to charge my 2800mAh phone slightly more than once...
Got refunded for it, but they didn't collect it.

I eventually opened it to replace the batteries and found 4 of the 8 were marked 1500mAh.
The other 4 were duds filled with sand.

enerdude

Expert Member
@enerdude @Conack
Also bought some items and a "30K mAh" powerbank from Snatcher...

Complained about it only being able to charge my 2800mAh phone slightly more than once...
Got refunded for it, but they didn't collect it.

I eventually opened it to replace the batteries and found 4 of the 8 were marked 1500mAh.
The other 4 were duds filled with sand.
Yeah like I said before I won't buy unknown powerbank brands (even from sites like takealot). If I am unsure of a brand that looks a good deal I would google it for more info or if there is no model nrs try google the picture to get more info.

Leisure Larry

Always stick to brand names with powerbanks. Do not buy em from Snatcher or PnP.