Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Was on the market for larger SATA SSD and got Sandisk Plus 2TB SSD at R3,156 from PC Link. Probably not the best on the market but rated at 4.7/5 by over 56,000 ratings on Amazon.

Beware of buying from PC Link. Utterly useless service. Took them 2 weeks and multiple emails to tell me they are out of stock of an item I bought, and they had to refund me.

bar1

Expert Member
I used one on my Uncle's i5 8th gen NUC which is their main home PC and Plex server. It works and I didn't hear complaints of it dropping but we didn't have much load shedding since I installed it aswell.

I think you just need a male to male DC barrel jack cable though but that's pretty easy to make from broken or unused devices. I can't remember if it came in the box.
thanks....how much uptime can i expect?

Eric747

Beware of buying from PC Link. Utterly useless service. Took them 2 weeks and multiple emails to tell me they are out of stock of an item I bought, and they had to refund me.
Thank you, your warning is a bit late as I already ordered two SSDs... Well, lets see.
Will share any negative/positive experience with PC Link on this forum...

enerdude

Expert Member

Thank you, your warning is a bit late as I already ordered two SSDs... Well, lets see.

I have the advantage to stay 1 km from them and always collect and have one of the sales guys's cell nrs on speed dial.
But yes I know what you mean in general.

They do however have the best price about 90% of the time in case you not in a big hurry it could be worth it.

Reactions: Yuu

Lupus

Honorary Master

enerdude

Expert Member
I got one of those last year when it was R1500, been pretty stable :). But then again so has my 500GB WD Blue and my 2 256GB WD Greens.
I also used to like WD but believe the brand has gone backwards the last few years.

Just some of my experience with WD, sorry about the rant but might help somebody else in the future.

I had a WD my book Duo 16TB that I bought in 2019 from Amazon. It is an external unit with 2 x 8TB WD Red drives in RAID. Any case, so last month one of the drives died and I connected it straight to SATA but it wasn't spinning up anymore. So then the painful attempted RMA process started. I checked the WD site and confirmed the unit as well as the individual faulty drive still had another year of warranty as these come with 3 years.

Long story short, Amazon (as most will know) only replace within a 30-40 day period after purchase and referred me back to WD. After creating tickets on the WD website regarding the RMA process I got told after 2 weeks that 'there is no RMA process in South Africa'

I then demanded to speak to a team leader / supervisor and got told I should try the local distys here in SA (Mustek / Corex) - which both told me they don't do RMA on my specific product. They then told me to contact Pinnacle Micro that does apparently do my product. After the technical manager there relayed my info about the drive to WD (apparently they have to use the same slow and stupid ticketing system as the general public) - after 2 weeks got the same answer : no RMA possible.

So now I clearly had a 'catch 22' - Amazon referring me to WD and WD referring me to Amazon. Eventually I went onto the Amazon website chat and demanded to speak to a team leader and Amazon agreed to refund my money. This was also not ideal cause I bought the unit for R7400 on a special deal on Amazon.co.uk in 2019 whereas the same unit now costs R12000 (mostly due to chia mining).

In the end I used the refund on the .com site as they had the 14TB expansions (which comes with enterprise drives) on special for $289 last week which is already back to $419 since yesterday.

So most of you may reckon that is why you rather buy local and I agree in a sense but I usually only import when the price gap is really big and it is worth it. One also have to look at a company's business practices and I suggest you read these 2 articles (enough said)

Lastly and (funnily enough), WD also does the Sandisk brand which seems to superior to the normal WD range. Reason I say so is my personal experience doing chia plotting on the WD blue nvmes vs the normal sandisk sata ssds - much lower times on the sandisks. But YMMV....

JustinB

Expert Member
I also used to like WD but believe the brand has gone backwards the last few years.

Just some of my experience with WD, sorry about the rant but might help somebody else in the future.

I had a WD my book Duo 16TB that I bought in 2019 from Amazon. It is an external unit with 2 x 8TB WD Red drives in RAID. Any case, so last month one of the drives died and I connected it straight to SATA but it wasn't spinning up anymore. So then the painful attempted RMA process started. I checked the WD site and confirmed the unit as well as the individual faulty drive still had another year of warranty as these come with 3 years.

Long story short, Amazon (as most will know) only replace within a 30-40 day period after purchase and referred me back to WD. After creating tickets on the WD website regarding the RMA process I got told after 2 weeks that 'there is no RMA process in South Africa'

I then demanded to speak to a team leader / supervisor and got told I should try the local distys here in SA (Mustek / Corex) - which both told me they don't do RMA on my specific product. They then told me to contact Pinnacle Micro that does apparently do my product. After the technical manager there relayed my info about the drive to WD (apparently they have to use the same slow and stupid ticketing system as the general public) - after 2 weeks got the same answer : no RMA possible.

So now I clearly had a 'catch 22' - Amazon referring me to WD and WD referring me to Amazon. Eventually I went onto the Amazon website chat and demanded to speak to a team leader and Amazon agreed to refund my money. This was also not ideal cause I bought the unit for R7400 on a special deal on Amazon.co.uk in 2019 whereas the same unit now costs R12000 (mostly due to chia mining).

In the end I used the refund on the .com site as they had the 14TB expansions (which comes with enterprise drives) on special for $289 last week which is already back to $419 since yesterday.

So most of you may reckon that is why you rather buy local and I agree in a sense but I usually only import when the price gap is really big and it is worth it. One also have to look at a company's business practices and I suggest you read these 2 articles (enough said)

Lastly and (funnily enough), WD also does the Sandisk brand which seems to superior to the normal WD range. Reason I say so is my personal experience doing chia plotting on the WD blue nvmes vs the normal sandisk sata ssds - much lower times on the sandisks. But YMMV....

I saw a video on Youtube recently about SSD providers (WD was one of them) that are replacing the SLC cache with lower cost/speed/quality/etc chips, resulting in considerably lower overall performance....

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
I have the advantage to stay 1 km from them and always collect and have one of the sales guys's cell nrs on speed dial.

They do however have the best price about 90% of the time in case you not in a big hurry it could be worth it.
Also local pclink vs int pclink. I've never had any issues with local pclink.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

If I must go mechanical then it's wd gold or wd black imho anything wd else is kak.

Swa

Honorary Master
I saw a video on Youtube recently about SSD providers (WD was one of them) that are replacing the SLC cache with lower cost/speed/quality/etc chips, resulting in considerably lower overall performance....

Eric747

As promised: So I ordered two drives on Tuesday, received them just now.

enerdude

Expert Member

enerdude

Expert Member
Did I read correctly up to $7 per drive compensation?
"...while those who bought either 4TB or 6TB WD Red capacity drives are entitled to $7.00 for each drive purchased. These values may be adjusted on a pro-rata basis depending on the number of claims filed, up to 85% of the value of each drive."

I was wondering why pclinkshop had the 6TB reds (WD60EFAX) recently at R2499. Was sold out in a few days but at that stage I was not even aware of this whole situation. Of course the distys like Pinnacle won't inform resellers like pclinkshop of the real reason as they want to get rid of stock...

• Wow