Hardware Bargains - Open Thine Wallet

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x Desktop Processor R 3,699 on Takealot:
 
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x Desktop Processor R 3,699 on Takealot:

So very tempting! But going to hold out for the newer stuff
 
Newer stuff you'll need another 8k or more
5k more. This is the one to get on a blackfriday deal, perhaps from Amazon (I'm hoping):
You get to keep your old ram and mobo and get a colossal performance increase.

1668290830891.png
 
5k more. This is the one to get on a blackfriday deal, perhaps from Amazon (I'm hoping):
You get to keep your old ram and mobo and get a colossal performance increase.

View attachment 1420709
Ah yeah thought he was looking at 7 series
 
Looking at getting a better fibre router this Black Friday as I'm still using the one my ISP supplied. (TP-link AC750 Archer C20).

Not looking at spending too much and saw Evetech has the following 2 on special (yes, I know, Evetech, buyer beware):
- ASUS AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC86U) @ R 999. (Older model, WiFi 5).
- TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800
@ R 1299 (Newer model, WiFi 6).
Both are Gigabit routers with 4 Lan ports and both seems like ok'ish deals.

That Asus one seems to have been discontinued, but sold for +- R 2500 back in the day. The TP-Link goes for around R 1500 which does not make it much of a special if u add the R 99 delivery fee.

Which would you recommend? Any other recommended routers that I should keep an eye out for?
 
Looking at getting a better fibre router this Black Friday as I'm still using the one my ISP supplied. (TP-link AC750 Archer C20).

Not looking at spending too much and saw Evetech has the following 2 on special (yes, I know, Evetech, buyer beware):
- ASUS AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC86U) @ R 999. (Older model, WiFi 5).
- TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800
@ R 1299 (Newer model, WiFi 6).
Both are Gigabit routers with 4 Lan ports and both seems like ok'ish deals.

That Asus one seems to have been discontinued, but sold for +- R 2500 back in the day. The TP-Link goes for around R 1500 which does not make it much of a special if u add the R 99 delivery fee.

Which would you recommend? Any other recommended routers that I should keep an eye out for?

I'd go for the ASUS....
 
Looking at getting a better fibre router this Black Friday as I'm still using the one my ISP supplied. (TP-link AC750 Archer C20).

Not looking at spending too much and saw Evetech has the following 2 on special (yes, I know, Evetech, buyer beware):
- ASUS AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC86U) @ R 999. (Older model, WiFi 5).
- TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800
@ R 1299 (Newer model, WiFi 6).
Both are Gigabit routers with 4 Lan ports and both seems like ok'ish deals.

That Asus one seems to have been discontinued, but sold for +- R 2500 back in the day. The TP-Link goes for around R 1500 which does not make it much of a special if u add the R 99 delivery fee.

Which would you recommend? Any other recommended routers that I should keep an eye out for?

I put openwrt on my archer C20 and its been pretty solid. Maybe give that a go first?
 
Looking at getting a better fibre router this Black Friday as I'm still using the one my ISP supplied. (TP-link AC750 Archer C20).
.....................

Which would you recommend? Any other recommended routers that I should keep an eye out for?

1668343360139.png

1668343547628.png
Been using ISP supplied router which is the Huawei AX3 [Afrihost R999 + add delivery] and couldn't be happier. It doesn't have big amount of features but to provide internet and upto Wi-Fi 6 , it will tick the basic boxes.

  1. IPv6 support.
  2. Gigabit lan ports.
  3. Support for legacy 802.11n on separate Wi-Fi channel. Yep!
  4. Quick power up time.
  5. Very lightweight
  6. Affordable in it's price bracket.

Before our power got cut for extended periods of time, I've had 52 days of uptime on this device. To me, that is quite stable is important. I do not want a device that needs constant rebooting etc. Used on a 1000/500Mbps line no issue. Now chugging along on a 50/50Mbps line.

I have it extended via LAN 4 to another WiFi 6 router and pure stability. Nothing stops you from extending from the device.

tl:dr Huawei AX3 + UPS = pure stable internet [Afrihost as ISP to sweeten the recipe] :notworthy::thumbsup:.

Feel free to ask any questions, am sure those of us who use it will answer best we can.
 
View attachment 1420953

View attachment 1420957
Been using ISP supplied router which is the Huawei AX3 [Afrihost R999 + add delivery] and couldn't be happier. It doesn't have big amount of features but to provide internet and upto Wi-Fi 6 , it will tick the basic boxes.

  1. IPv6 support.
  2. Gigabit lan ports.
  3. Support for legacy 802.11n on separate Wi-Fi channel. Yep!
  4. Quick power up time.
  5. Very lightweight
  6. Affordable in it's price bracket.

Before our power got cut for extended periods of time, I've had 52 days of uptime on this device. To me, that is quite stable is important. I do not want a device that needs constant rebooting etc. Used on a 1000/500Mbps line no issue. Now chugging along on a 50/50Mbps line.

I have it extended via LAN 4 to another WiFi 6 router and pure stability. Nothing stops you from extending from the device.

tl:dr Huawei AX3 + UPS = pure stable internet [Afrihost as ISP to sweeten the recipe] :notworthy::thumbsup:.

Feel free to ask any questions, am sure those of us who use it will answer best we can.

These are decent and because they get given away with fibre contracts you can often pick them for under R500 2hnd hand near new.
I put openwrt on my archer C20 and its been pretty solid. Maybe give that a go first?

This is worth a shot if it’s well supported by WRT
 
  • Like
Reactions: Yuu
View attachment 1420953

View attachment 1420957
Been using ISP supplied router which is the Huawei AX3 [Afrihost R999 + add delivery] and couldn't be happier. It doesn't have big amount of features but to provide internet and upto Wi-Fi 6 , it will tick the basic boxes.

  1. IPv6 support.
  2. Gigabit lan ports.
  3. Support for legacy 802.11n on separate Wi-Fi channel. Yep!
  4. Quick power up time.
  5. Very lightweight
  6. Affordable in it's price bracket.

Before our power got cut for extended periods of time, I've had 52 days of uptime on this device. To me, that is quite stable is important. I do not want a device that needs constant rebooting etc. Used on a 1000/500Mbps line no issue. Now chugging along on a 50/50Mbps line.

I have it extended via LAN 4 to another WiFi 6 router and pure stability. Nothing stops you from extending from the device.

tl:dr Huawei AX3 + UPS = pure stable internet [Afrihost as ISP to sweeten the recipe] :notworthy::thumbsup:.

Feel free to ask any questions, am sure those of us who use it will answer best we can.
I've had uptime of 100+ days on mine
In the process of swapping it out for dedicated APs though because I need more coverage & something that supports static routes.
 
  • Love
Reactions: Yuu
Looking at getting a better fibre router this Black Friday as I'm still using the one my ISP supplied. (TP-link AC750 Archer C20).

Not looking at spending too much and saw Evetech has the following 2 on special (yes, I know, Evetech, buyer beware):
- ASUS AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC86U) @ R 999. (Older model, WiFi 5).
- TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800
@ R 1299 (Newer model, WiFi 6).
Both are Gigabit routers with 4 Lan ports and both seems like ok'ish deals.

That Asus one seems to have been discontinued, but sold for +- R 2500 back in the day. The TP-Link goes for around R 1500 which does not make it much of a special if u add the R 99 delivery fee.

Which would you recommend? Any other recommended routers that I should keep an eye out for?
 
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x Desktop Processor R 3,699 on Takealot:

Sold out, but also on sale at Wootware.

 

Logitech G PRO X Gaming Headset Black​


R799

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X