Has Maimane failed to lead the DA?

The Free Radical

The DA has more black supporters than ever before, but the party did not do enough over the past five years to change the negative perceptions about being a white party run by a black leader, writes Adriaan Basson.
This should have been the DA's 30% election.
The official opposition has grown its support substantially in every election since 1994. The May 8 national election is the first time since the dawn of democracy that the DA risks stagnating or even declining in support.
As party leader, Tony Leon took the DA to almost 10% of the national vote in 2004. He was succeeded by Helen Zille who achieved tremendous success in Cape Town and the Western Cape, and took the party's national tally to 22.2% in 2014.

There is a real risk that Mmusi Maimane will become the first DA leader not to grow the party's national support. Polling currently puts the party on anything between 15% and 25% nationally.

&

"In trying to appease and attract new black voters, the DA may have inadvertently alienated a chunk of its core white constituency. "Issa mess," as Twitter would say. Although I will only believe it when I see it, some analysts believe the Freedom Front Plus may eat into the DA's Afrikaans support base. This may partly be explained by the lack of a prominent, Afrikaans leader in the DA's ranks. "

More at : https://www.news24.com/Elections/Voices/has-maimane-failed-to-lead-the-da-20190429

hungrymamba

He tries too hard... "Obama of Soweto"... Hahaha. You can not succeed as a pastor and politician at the same time.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
The DA wants to have the white vote. They also want the Black vote.

Its a zero sum game. But to grow they must grow the Black vote.

Knyro

Honorary Master
Zille's tirades on twitter didn't help, and I'm not talking about the colonialism tweets. She'd shoot her mouth off, people would tweet Maimane to call her to order, and he'd just remain silent.

Only contributed to the image of a puppet black leader with white people calling the shots in the background.

Kryptonite

Weak leader, no one likes a pushover. He also went on to say some populist things which lost him the support of his traditional voter base. Pity.......would be wonderful to have a united opposition instead of 10 splinter parties.

yebocan

Executive Member
Correct. - this is the crux of the matter : "In trying to appease and attract new black voters, the DA may have inadvertently alienated a chunk of its core white constituency."

And if they stray the other way....they loss support from a demographic , they require , in order to win a national election....does not give much in moving room..not having an effective strong leader, does not help the cause. Either you forgo the financial backing that one side brings, for growth ...or you stick to the status quo, that will bring electoral decline...and become a perpetual minority party.

yebocan

Executive Member
Zille's tirades on twitter didn't help, and I'm not talking about the colonialism tweets. She'd shoot her mouth off, people would tweet Maimane to call her to order, and he'd just remain silent.

Only contributed to the image of a puppet black leader with white people calling the shots in the background.
hey, took her tirades to wake me up...will always be thankful to her for that....I had bought into their illusion.

konfab

Honorary Master
Despite the sterling work of some MPs like Phumzile van Damme, John Steenhuisen and Glynnis Breytenbach, I have to agree.
You mean Phumzile "I will falsely attribute anonymous Twitter accounts to people who disagree with me "van Damme?

The DA is going to lose votes because they are turning into a better marketed version of the ANC. It has nothing to do with race, and it has everything to do with policy.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Only leader they can get to replace him is the Plus Size lady who left the party some time ago.

DA went all in on Zuma and basically made Zuma and the Guptas the focus of their identity. They really didn't expect them to lose power in the ANC. Once Ramaphosa came in the DA looks to be a party with no platform. Nobody going to vote for that

thechamp

Honorary Master
The DA wants to have the white vote. They also want the Black vote.

Its a zero sum game. But to grow they must grow the Black vote.
What they failed at doing is to convince both sides of their vision, now they are at risk of losing support from both sides.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
What they failed at doing is to convince both sides of their vision, now they are at risk.of losing support from.both sides.
They fully convinced me of their vision for South Africa when they adopt ANC policy.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Ah yes, Phumzile Van Damme is another electoral turnoff for the DA. I forgot about that. She engages in lots of nonsense on Twitter.

Why have the DA called on Leon and Zille? Because they are electoral assets to the DA, despite what some might think on here.

yebocan

Executive Member
Ah yes, Phumzile Van Damme is another electoral turnoff for the DA. I forgot about that. She engages in lots of nonsense on Twitter.

Why have the DA called on Leon and Zille? Because they are electoral assets to the DA, despite what some might think on here.
you highlight, exactly why the DA is screwed. Zille and Leon appeal to the old guard, while Phumzile resonates with the new base...the DA does not have a centre of consensuses/strong leadership to counter either sides ambitions to dominate the party structures. Reports of a potential spilt in the party, does not sound as far fetched anymore. Add to that : https://mg.co.za/article/2018-04-07-mmusi-maimane-is-willing-to-give-a-da-anc-partnership-a-try

hungrymamba

They fully convinced me of their vision for South Africa when they adopt ANC policy.
ANC policy ensures you win votes and elections, DA soon figured that out... anyone who wants to win an election will have to figure that out, too. Stay in dreamland with your 6k vote party... Zero impact...