Has Maimane failed to lead the DA?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Weak leader, no one likes a pushover. He also went on to say some populist things which lost him the support of his traditional voter base. Pity.......would be wonderful to have a united opposition instead of 10 splinter parties.
I honestly don't see the imminent split that everyone is talking about, I don't see the mass exodus of white voters from the DA. I think everyone is well aware that it's better to work with the DA as it is and try to fix it rather that trying to start something new, perhaps the failure of the purple cow party will soon jolt everyone into reality.

BBSA

Honorary Master
I honestly don't see the imminent split that everyone is talking about, I don't see the mass exodus of white voters from the DA. I think everyone is well aware that it's better to work with the DA as it is and try to fix it rather that trying to start something new, perhaps the failure of the purple cow party will soon jolt everyone into reality.
Many disgruntled DA votes are looking for a new home. If the ZACP does not succeed they will go to COPE or the FF+. I do not see a future for the DA as long as they keep on playing identity politics.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Well, the reality is many "white" people probably have no idea who to vote for anymore. And, based on an interview on TV last night, the surveys are showing that " white" people are feeling completely disenfranchised with no political "home" anymore. Presumably, Tony Leon is back on board to try and help address this issue?

Some points as I see them.

(1) Voter apathy is quite high - people feel that their vote is not going to make a difference
(2) Not voting is a vote for the ANC because it reduces the pool of registered voters by default.
(3) Voting for small parties reduces the likelihood of a viable opposition emerging.
(4) "whites" have two choices --- the DA or the FF+ as the only two current parties with any semblance of credibility.

Last edited:

thechamp

Honorary Master
Many disgruntled DA votes are looking for a new home. If the ZACP does not succeed they will go to COPE or the FF+. I do not see a future for the DA as long as they keep on playing identity politics.
It is odd that everyone seems to be suddenly concerned about DA's identity politics, what was it called back then when Maimane came out of nowhere to be the leader? was it not identity politics?

konfab

Honorary Master
It is odd that everyone seems to be suddenly concerned about DA's identity politics, what was it called back then when Maimane came out of nowhere to be the leader? was it not identity politics?
Under Mmusi, they cranked it up to full SJW. That and their sensitivity to being PC went up drastically.

JustAsk

Expert Member
There is a real risk that Mmusi Maimane will become the first DA leader not to grow the party's national support. Polling currently puts the party on anything between 15% and 25% nationally.
The DA don't know their black (and some white) support was not FOR the party but AGAINST the Anc (Zuma). They have themselves to blame for this. Just last month:
* DA sms - De Lille is bad, we fire her, don't vote GOOD, vote for us
* DA sms - Don't vote for smaller parties, its a wasted vote - vote for us
* DA Tv ad - anc did this, they do that, they will do this, they're planning to do that - vote for us

Can you spot the pattern, not once did they ever sell themselves.

"In trying to appease and attract new black voters, the DA may have inadvertently alienated a chunk of its core white constituency."
I guess that demostrates the racism of that core group.

BBSA

Honorary Master
It probably was, and we have learnt.

Stephen

Expert Member
Under Mmusi, they cranked it up to full SJW. That and their sensitivity to being PC went up drastically.
What does that even mean ?

Do white people want a party with leaders that bash bearcans against their heads and say things like "100s bru"

Temujin

Executive Member
As said before, he was great, I personally had high hopes for him... then he went all pc sjw twittard... and that was that

thestaggy

Honorary Master
How in the hell is that racism?

The DA, going back to its PFP, IP and DP roots was a genuine liberal party. There were no racial agendas or policies. The minute DA and Maimane started coming up with the ''race is disadvantage'' BS and committed to embracing BEE instead of rebuking it they stopped being a liberal party.

If those whites were the intolerant bunch you accuse them of being why did the nationalist NP die while the liberal DP grew? Why has the VF+ - a conservative nationalist party at its heart - shown no signs of major growth? In fact, the VF+ has stagnated in the past 4 general elections.

The vast majority of whites in SA don't want to vote for exclusive minority parties, they want to vote for a party void of any racial identity, preferences or biases because we know that this is the only way the country will ever get anywhere. A party of merit and true equality. Not a party with disclaimers and asterisks.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
What does that even mean ?
It means they embraced a world view where evidence and what people say is valued by their genitals and melanin count.
The first Messiah can say the following:
Our indigenous understanding of the rule of law, viz that not kings or chiefs but the institutions of law and democracy are supreme, was strengthened and enhanced by our reference to the British understanding of that concept.

Today we are confident of the institutional underpinnings of our constitutional democracy, also because of the tradition of our relationship with Britain.

When we confidently lay claim to being one of the most stable democratic systems in the world, it also because we have taken so much of your institutional understanding of how democracies work and perpetuate themselves.

If there were one single positive aspect that I had to identify from the history of colonial contact between our two countries, it would be that of the educational benefits our country derived from it.
https://www.politicsweb.co.za/documents/legacy-of-british-colonialism-had-positive-aspects

And you can bet Mmusi et al wouldn't have a problem with it.

Sollie

Expert Member
White = racist.

At least in the junk narrative being spewed. Let's just ignore the fact that Musi & Co jumped onto the racist twitter bandwagon prematurely a few times, never apologizing.

thechamp

Honorary Master
The DA don't know their black (and some white) support was not FOR the party but AGAINST the Anc (Zuma). They have themselves to blame for this. Just last month:
* DA sms - De Lille is bad, we fire her, don't vote GOOD, vote for us
* DA sms - Don't vote for smaller parties, its a wasted vote - vote for us
* DA Tv ad - anc did this, they do that, they will do this, they're planning to do that - vote for us

Can you spot the pattern, not once did they ever sell themselves.

Good points.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
damned if you do, damned if you don't.

South Africa is like the USA with it's stagnated two party system.

I doubt things are going to change much here either.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Any white DA voter must have known that in order for their party to grow, it NEEDS to grow its black vote. In order to do that most resources will have to be used in that demographic. Understanding that, how can a white voter then feel alienated?

And if you have a problem with your party leader, how come is your problem now with your party. You can still NOT like Maimane and still vote DA.

Sometimes you just have to see something for what it is.

R13...

Honorary Master
Well he's not really in control of the party not sure he can held responsible.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Let's just ignore the fact that Musi & Co jumped onto the racist twitter bandwagon prematurely a few times, never apologizing.
I just don't understand this type of reasoning. Aren't you a DA voter because of their policies? How come individual person's twitter nonsense suddenly makes you move away from your strong felt policies?

Zille's twitter nonsense was much more damaging for the party, yet no outrage from those outraged about Maimane now. Whether you agree with Zille's tweets or not, it still was more damaging to the brand.
As a DA supporter shouldn't your concerns be with the growth of the party, yet Zille was defended by that core group.

Last edited:

dlk001

Executive Member
What they failed at doing is to convince both sides of their vision, now they are at risk.of losing support from.both sides.
I think if DA's Cape Town success song was backed by vocals from places like Khayelitsha, Nyanga, Gugulethu, etc, I think it would be easier to grow black votes outside WC because Mmusi would simply be pointing out what other people are saying about their success instead of preaching the ANC.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Any white DA voter must have known that in order for their party to grow, it NEEDS to grow its black vote. In order to do that most resources will have to be used in that demographic. Understanding that, how can a white voter then feel alienated?

And if you have a problem with your party leader, how come is your problem now with your party. You can still NOT like Maimane and still vote DA.

Sometimes you just have to see something for what it is.
:X3: