Has Rain gotten slower for you?

James946

Hey there,

I have been using rain from 2018 and i haven't had too many issues with them, usually i just had speed issues during the day. At night i always had between 30-60mbps daily. As of late i have been getting terrible speeds during both day and night and i have no clue why.
It started when the new 24/7 deal was released so that might have something to do with it, below is a speedtest i just did.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Yeah, been struggling since December 2019.
I'm still a capped Fixed Rain LTE user, paying R1350/m via Afrihost.

It really battles during daytime, like 1mbps if I'm lucky.... At night time it's still good though, 20-30mbps.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No working great here. 10Mbps on the 4g uncapped offering with full HD Youtube, Netflix and 720p Showmax. No complaints.

ngoni615

No working great here. 10Mbps on the 4g uncapped offering with full HD Youtube, Netflix and 720p Showmax. No complaints.
are you using vpn? i have decided to pay more for guaranteed speeds on fibre. 100/100. I will keep rain on the pay as you go tarriff as a backup option. Installation for my fibre will take at most two weeks. i already have fibre installed at my house so they just need to bring the router and configure their stuff

ngoni615

Yeah, been struggling since December 2019.
I'm still a capped Fixed Rain LTE user, paying R1350/m via Afrihost.

It really battles during daytime, like 1mbps if I'm lucky.... At night time it's still good though, 20-30mbps.
why not go fibre? i will be paying 1100 for 100/100mbps fibre. Would rather pay more for guaranteed service. rain is great when it works but this throttling and shaping is annoying.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
why not go fibre? i will be paying 1100 for 100/100mbps fibre. Would rather pay more for guaranteed service. rain is great when it works but this throttling and shaping is annoying.

Yeap.. I've petitioned Fibre companies with many interest form sign ups from the neighbourhood... But they still haven't deployed. I'd get a 100mbps line in a heartbeat if only we had FTTH in the hood.

ngoni615

Yeap.. I've petitioned Fibre companies with many interest form sign ups from the neighbourhood... But they still haven't deployed. I'd get a 100mbps line in a heartbeat if only we had FTTH in the hood.
my rain is very good and the speeds are very good, when it works but the inconsistency, throttling streaming and customer kak pushed me to fibre. I will keep the rain sim as backup and will change to the pay as you go plan and just keep 1gb there only.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
are you using vpn? i have decided to pay more for guaranteed speeds on fibre. 100/100. I will keep rain on the pay as you go tarriff as a backup option. Installation for my fibre will take at most two weeks. i already have fibre installed at my house so they just need to bring the router and configure their stuff

No need for me. Everything streams fine without. Lucky you we're only getting fibre in April here so I still have time to test Rain and see if I'll stay.

chrismine

I have cancelled both RAIN Fixed LTE and RAIN mobile SIM with disgust after being a happy and loyal client for 2 years.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Mostly because of signal strength, for whatever reason the signal has gotten worse. Yesterday I tested the router in various places there's places like the roof where I get over 10mb but anywhere inside I'm luck to get 1mb

Crumbl0x

With external antennas I've never seen speeds decline, but in one of the two places I use rain it's not a city or highly contested area so that can def. play a factor. When in Uni before everyone returns for a semester, I could reach 60mbps day and night, but once everyone arrives it dies down to 1-2mbps and 30mbps in the night, then by which the antenna will get pointed to a tower far away from residences and speed is fully restored.

phly

Expert Member
Yes Rain has gotten slower unfortunately. used to have decent speeds according to speedtests and hardly had any issues until recently. Infact I think it was from this month that I noticed a drastic change and drop in speeds. I was hoping they would be the difference maker but like someone said - it seems they don't have the capacity to handle the influx of new users that come through their aggressive pricing.

Wasabee!

Executive Member
I think it's also everyone working from home with this Corona virus and the 24/7 product they launched must messed up their network capacity.