Help me choose wines

Candystore

I have a smallish function to arrange. The request is for 10 bottles red wine and 8 bottles white. Not plonk, but not breaking the bank either.

If there are any connoisseurs here, what would you recommend? I heard good things about De Grendel, Warwick Estate and Eagle's Nest.

powermzii

Expert Member
What is your budget roughly (per bottle)

Warwick has some good Reds as does Eagle's Nest (their Shiraz is one of the best but its rather pricey)

Also check out Tera Del Capo Sangiovese (R90/bottle), La Motte Merlot (R100/bottle), Simonsig Cape blend (R55/bottle)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Best white I've had recently was Van Loveren Colombar which was surprisingly cheap but amazing.

You want to buy it as fresh as possible (as in a 2018).

powermzii

Expert Member
White gives me a near instant headache so i stay away as much as i can. The more refined the longer it takes for the headache (like you Springfield Life from Stone / Methode Ancienne) but its always a guarantee. Red on the other hand goes down without issue

Xwagga

Fairview sweet red is very nice red (blended with brandy) currently 85 per bottle. Their viognier is also nice.
Fairview LaCapra Muscadel(R45) & LaCapra Chenin Blanc (R45). Bit of a drive out d D'ville but those are nice.

De grendel's Rose, viognier and Shiraz is nice.

Durbanville hills pinotage

Bloemendal shiraz rose

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Also a very nice wine
Yup very big surprise, but you must buy it the fresher the better.

Fortunately with my father in law being a wine maker I've learnt to stop buying the marketing and snobbery and know very well that most expensive isn't necessarily best.

And I've had some of the most expensive **** on the planet.

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
You can never go wrong with Late Harvest. Very easy to carry and you dont need to buy the freshest bottles.

I dont know about red wines sorry.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I have a smallish function to arrange. The request is for 10 bottles red wine and 8 bottles white. Not plonk, but not breaking the bank either.

If there are any connoisseurs here, what would you recommend? I heard good things about De Grendel, Warwick Estate and Eagle's Nest.
Go get a selection from Woolworths, all their wines are good.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Believe it or not, but the Odd Bins from Checkers/Hyperama are actually overstock from well known brands. Dunno how the lable would go down on the table, but you could hide that with something personalised. Absolutely brilliant wines at great prices.

I once had inside info on a specific number, and unfortunately bought too few boxes. Have one bottle left, but it was a R300 bottle wine at a shade over R20.
A6EAD308-EFDC-4D57-A7F5-3A502D5A35EA.jpeg A6EAD308-EFDC-4D57-A7F5-3A502D5A35EA.jpeg

As for the Springfield suggestions, you can not go wrong there. My favourite is their Methode Anciente, but that is way outside of your budget.