Help me choose wines

biometrics

Honorary Master
Yup, that is R50 for a bottle that sells for double to xxx that amount. The more expensive the Odd Bins bottle is, the more expensive its brandes cousin is.:D
Yeah, no. It's worth R50. Been buying it for a while. It's good, not crazy good.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
You can never go wrong with Late Harvest. Very easy to carry and you dont need to buy the freshest bottles.

I dont know about red wines sorry.
Late Harvest should not be mentioned in a thread where the budget is R180/bottle.:laugh:

christsim

Download the Vivino app and look for wines with a rating higher than 4. Can't really go wrong that way.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
People asked about my budget - I would say absolute max = R180/bottle.
Well that is really in the upper echelon of normal wine selection.

Even at a R100 a bottle you won’t find crap so you can buy just about anything that you like the label of.

I wouldn’t spend R180 a bottle for a function, most people won’t appreciate the wine for what it is and just gargle it down because it’s free.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Well that is really in the upper echelon of normal wine selection.

Even at a R100 a bottle you won’t find crap so you can buy just about anything that you like the label of.

I wouldn’t spend R180 a bottle for a function, most people won’t appreciate the wine for what it is and just gargle it down because it’s free.
^^^^^^
This

Yirhu

Spier has very good wines. I like thier reds very much and their bottles start from R60

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
What is your budget roughly (per bottle)

Warwick has some good Reds as does Eagle's Nest (their Shiraz is one of the best but its rather pricey)

Also check out Tera Del Capo Sangiovese (R90/bottle), La Motte Merlot (R100/bottle), Simonsig Cape blend (R55/bottle)
Just came here to say La Motte. Cant remember what type it was (possibly Merlot), but damn had a 2014 the other day and it was very nice.

kolaval

Expert Member
Ive been going through the selection of red from our local PnP.

Curiously I've had R100+ wines which did not taste good. Too sharp on the back of the tonge. Horrible to the point of me chucking the rest away.

And then some cheaper ones that were very nice. I tend to give the java and chocolate labels a mis.

Craig

Honorary Master
You can try to find any of montorosso's wines as well, I've had a few and they never disappoint.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yeah, no. It's worth R50. Been buying it for a while. It's good, not crazy good.
Some of the Odd Bins are good, sometimes very good, but not all of them. Not sure if it's worth the gamble in this situation.

Speaking of Checkers I've picked up numerous wines from the Bordeaux region over the past few weeks from there that have been excellent and very reasonably priced.

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
Some of the Odd Bins are good, sometimes very good, but not all of them. Not sure if it's worth the gamble in this situation.

Speaking of Checkers I've picked up numerous wines from the Bordeaux region over the past few weeks from there that have been excellent and very reasonably priced.
Odd Bins are at best OK. Sometimes you get something nice, but for me knowing there is no label behind it makes it less enjoyable. I drink wine almost every day (red) and even though the Odd Bins are reasonably priced, I would rather buy a brand more or less the same price that I enjoy. Since the beginning of the year though wine prices have increased significantly. You dont really get cheap wines anymore. Anything semi decent is R60+.

Also Odd Bins are basically just wine estates selling off their bulk wine that they use to blend. Mostly it is a marketer getting lets say Fairview Merlot 2017 bulk and mixing it with Du Toitskloof Shiras 70/30 and selling it off to Checkers as Odd Binn Merlot 801.

Belza81

Zandvliet Shiraz definitely for the red! Affordable and easy available and also buying online - direct from cellar www.zandvliet.co.za, Makro, Platform62.co.za, Lavernewines.co.za. Also check out Zandvliet's My Best Friend range which is a very affordable range that's available in a blended red, white and rosé. You can't go wrong with this red! Described by winemaker as a wine that won't scare off the first-time wine drinker.

You can always throw in a few super-cute baby Clemengold Gin 40ml bottles as gifts for guests... Best citrus gin on the market and a smell and taste ... Whenever I smell it, I feel like dabbing it on my wrists and wearing it as a perfume :X3: