Help with a smart TV from Takealot please!

Kat2016

I have about R6000 in Takealot vouchers and I want to use it to buy a smart TV for myself. I can pay in a bit, but don't really want it to cost more than R7000. The size doesn't need to be huge, nothing bigger than 40" I don't think as my space is quite small. The main thing is I want a good quality picture and apps that won't crash or take forever.

I only know that Samsung and LG are good brands, but I see Hisense and Sinotec have some TVs for cheaper ad more options on Takealot. Any thoughts on those brands?

I need help or advice please if anyone has bought a smart TV!

Here are a few options, but the reviews aren't great or they don't seem legit so I am a bit nervous.

http://www.takealot.com/samsung-40-fhd-smart-led-tv/PLID40400240

http://www.takealot.com/hisense-40-fhd-smart-led-tv/PLID42333467

http://www.takealot.com/samsung-40-smart-led-tv/PLID42072558

http://www.takealot.com/samsung-40-full-hd-led-tv/PLID41546207

gfmalan

Expert Member
What is the reason you want a "smart" TV? I bought my first smart TV 3 years ago, and my reasoning/wish was fewer remotes.

I have the LG TV with magic remote, and I love using it compared to the normal iR remotes.

With the software on the TV (NetCast) I have youtube, internet browser, Showmax, Netflix and Plex installed, work great, but like with Amazon now available, no app for my TV yet, then you have to go for external player again.

No Kodi app, so again you need external player.

If I had the choice again, the TVs OS must be Android, then you can install everything you can dream off, or get a stupid TV and an excellent external player/renderer.

Dont be skimpy on CPU power of the renderer, when you transcode you need that.

To come back to the TV, I'll go for some 4k model with Android OS, or stupid 4k model with external device to make it smart.

LG gets my vote.

HiSense stuff isnt bad, gets a good warranty, externally product looks ok, but spec and color wise it's not as refined as the LG or Samsung versions.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
What is the reason you want a "smart" TV? I bought my first smart TV 3 years ago, and my reasoning/wish was fewer remotes.

I have the LG TV with magic remote, and I love using it compared to the normal iR remotes.

With the software on the TV (NetCast) I have youtube, internet browser, Showmax, Netflix and Plex installed, work great, but like with Amazon now available, no app for my TV yet, then you have to go for external player again.

No Kodi app, so again you need external player.

If I had the choice again, the TVs OS must be Android, then you can install everything you can dream off, or get a stupid TV and an excellent external player/renderer.

Dont be skimpy on CPU power of the renderer, when you transcode you need that.

To come back to the TV, I'll go for some 4k model with Android OS, or stupid 4k model with external device to make it smart.

LG gets my vote.

HiSense stuff isnt bad, gets a good warranty, externally product looks ok, but spec and color wise it's not as refined as the LG or Samsung versions.
Just a guess but prolly because all the TV's nowadays are smart TV's...

OP buy the biggest Samsung you can afford.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Make sure you get a smart TV that has or can get the Play Store.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Make sure you get a smart TV that has or can get the Play Store.

Well that means the cheap **** brands and skipping on LG and Samsung.

No, for a TV you want quality first and Smart crap second.

There are only so many apps you need and they are available on all of them. No need for the whole Play Store.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Still see the H6400 for sale a lot somehow and it fits the price point.

Cool - didn't realise 2 year old models were kept around. I think they would probably be over-priced compared to later models from Samsung and LG though...can you post a link? Wanna see how much my TV has depreciated :erm:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
As luck would have it I now can't find anything.

Maybe Black Friday cleared out the last stock.

I would rather have a 2014 Samsung than a new Sinotec or HiSense though.

krycor

Honorary Master
Don't go smaller than 46' as it will allow for re-use if you get a bigger place etc. I think the models that sell a lot are 46, 55 so likely a smart in 40' will sell for closer than expected price to a 46'.

As mentioned above, always check the ear model as I see SA retailers will sell last year's model for this year's price until competition sells the new one. What I did with parents tv was wait till new one was out and then pickup previous year for cheap. Or get it at the beginning of cycle (no discounts).

Smart 3D, Smart etc. depends on how you use your tv. For me everything is via Apple devices and apps so technically I could have gotten away with non-smart but it's more complicated.

Complication? Tv Quality! If you go Samsung, checkout refresh rates on series 4, 5, 6compared to 7, 8, 9. I've seen other people with series 6 and the picture quality is sucky compared to 7/8 series. When I bought my main tv I actually did consider getting a dumb tv but the quality would have sucked. So yah.. I have used 3D twice in 3-4years.

Brand.. I have LG (avg model, 55 smart apparently great) recently and Samsung (7 series/apparently entry premium, cost a lot but I was single and figured buy and keep) and the Samsung wins hands down. See into it what you may but I'd never buy anything with less specs than a series 7 again

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
Cool - didn't realise 2 year old models were kept around. I think they would probably be over-priced compared to later models from Samsung and LG though...can you post a link? Wanna see how much my TV has depreciated :erm:

A TV, if bought keeping in mind that the main purpose is a display.. can keep for a long time. People who depend on Smart features can expect a lifetime of 3-4yrs if that.

If you have an external smart device and bought tv for quality of image, features (3D, tuner, graphic capability, audio driving, ports, wifi/screen share etc) then it's likely to hold till something breaks which could be 5-9yrs (if top range for the year). Brands are don't always sell good quality screens without smart though

Samsung has changed platform so the old ones experienced a drop as the App Store is on limited support as they prepare to do force the transition I reckon. Why smart features have limited life

Last edited:

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Don't go smaller than 46' as it will allow for re-use if you get a bigger place etc. I think the models that sell a lot are 46, 55 so likely a smart in 40' will sell for closer than expected price to a 46'.

As mentioned above, always check the ear model as I see SA retailers will sell last year's model for this year's price until competition sells the new one. What I did with parents tv was wait till new one was out and then pickup previous year for cheap. Or get it at the beginning of cycle (no discounts).

Smart 3D, Smart etc. depends on how you use your tv. For me everything is via Apple devices and apps so technically I could have gotten away with non-smart but it's more complicated.

Complication? Tv Quality! If you go Samsung, checkout refresh rates on series 4, 5, 6compared to 7, 8, 9. I've seen other people with series 6 and the picture quality is sucky compared to 7/8 series. When I bought my main tv I actually did consider getting a dumb tv but the quality would have sucked. So yah.. I have used 3D twice in 3-4years.

Brand.. I have LG (avg model, 55 smart apparently great) recently and Samsung (7 series/apparently entry premium, cost a lot but I was single and figured buy and keep) and the Samsung wins hands down. See into it what you may but I'd never buy anything with less specs than a series 7 again
The only reason for me getting a 3D was the speed of the refresh rate.
And no I wouldn't go any other brand than Samsung.

lord-of-war

Do you guys know if brands like Hisense can run Netflix and Showmax. All TV say they are smart, but the question is how smart?

Kat2016

Thank you all so much for the advice! Still havig a hard time deciding but keeping all this info in mind!

I haven't heard of the chromecast before, that looks like an interesting option so I could perhaps get the best samsung or LG TV I can afford and use the chrome cast with that?

Kat2016

Just a guess but prolly because all the TV's nowadays are smart TV's...

OP buy the biggest Samsung you can afford.

What do you mean all TVs are smart TVs now?
I basically want something I can watch Youtube on as well as streaming like Netflix with less annoying remotes etc....

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Kat2016