Help with Afrihost/Openserve PPPOE over Mikrotik

jacauc

I've been using my Mikrotik RB433UAH for years as a gateway for my 10Mb ADSL connection and by now I have it configured just the way I need it with NAT and Firewall Rules.
The Mikrotik would initiate the PPPOE connection and my up/down speeds we're always 100% (10Mb down and 1Mb up)

I have recently moved over to Openserve 50Mb Fiber through Afrihost. They supplied me with a DLINK router which I really don't want to use over the mikrotik, however, when dialling with the DLINK, I get near perfect up/down speeds.

When dialling with the Mikrotik however, my download speeds don't go beyond 4Mb down and 13Mb up.

Is there a specific setting on the mikrotik that is unique to a fiber line over the Nokia ONT that I need to be aware of?
Any tips on how to configure the Mikrotik PPPOE connection and PPP profile for optimal performance?

jacauc

I had queues and mangling before. I disabled all them all. The MTU is not set, and after connection it's 1480. I've done a ping fragment test and that seems correct at 1452 bytes.

Also interesting that my download speed on Fiber PPPOE connection is less than the PPPOE on ADSL connection, which makes me believe that queues or CPU is not the problem. CPU hovering at around 15-20%

BigBear

Expert Member
Is the mikrotik direct connected to Openserve ont should be Huawei usually..

Have a normal totolink connected to ont and no issues here..

jacauc

no, i tried it via the network switch. The ONT is a nokia. I'll try direct connection

jacauc

14Mb down, 18Mb up when directly connected ONT to RB. I deleted all queues, and deleted all but 9 firewall rules. Fasttracked all rules to test. Still pretty bad. Could it be that the RB is not powerful enough for such a "fast" connection?

Peon

Expert Member
14Mb down, 18Mb up when directly connected ONT to RB. I deleted all queues, and deleted all but 9 firewall rules. Fasttracked all rules to test. Still pretty bad. Could it be that the RB is not powerful enough for such a "fast" connection?
Could be. I upgraded to 100Mb Openserve fibre and had to upgrade the router. The RB750 wasnt powerfull enough. At about 70Mbps it stuttered.

ambo

Expert Member
The RB433 is pretty old and may well be your limiting factor. I have a RB2011 connected to the Nokia ONT and don't have any issues.

quovadis

Expert Member
Shot in the dark and basic checks - is the wan interface configured as 100/full duplex as opposed to auto? Also, the Ethernet cables are 100% ? - might be advantageous to copy/paste your config less credentials.

Donkey_hote

Another shot in the dark! Does the rb433 have a switch chip? I can't find anything on the specification. This may be your limiting factor as all traffic must go through the cpu. The inability of the cpu to handle the higher data rate could be your problem. As I say, just a shot in the dark. Maybe it's time for an upgrade:)

Peon

Expert Member
Another shot in the dark! Does the rb433 have a switch chip? I can't find anything on the specification. This may be your limiting factor as all traffic must go through the cpu. The inability of the cpu to handle the higher data rate could be your problem. As I say, just a shot in the dark. Maybe it's time for an upgrade:)
Agreed.

jacauc

I guess it was the CPU after all. I bit the bullet and bought an RB4011. Exact same config and now it's all running full speed!

jacauc

My previous rb lasted for 11 or 12 years. And it still works. Mikrotik has decent products for very reasonable prices, and I run a ton of services on it. R3K totally worth it