Help with Afrihost/Openserve PPPOE over Mikrotik

Donkey_hote

If you are not very tidy, A WARNING. The RB750gr3 is so small you might spend a lot of time trying to find it:)
Seriously, a great router for a good price in my opinion but Mikrotik do make some great stuff.

jacauc

I'm assuming you are referring to the RB951G-2HnD or RB750Gr3 specifically as they have gigabit ports. Whereas the older 750 and 951 are 10/100 ports only.

Would suck to have faster internet than what your router can handle (wait, what? In South Africa??)

Genisys

Executive Member
I'm assuming you are referring to the RB951G-2HnD or RB750Gr3 specifically as they have gigabit ports. Whereas the older 750 and 951 are 10/100 ports only.

Would suck to have faster internet than what your router can handle (wait, what? In South Africa??)
There was a RB750GL which is capable of routing 400Mbps about (perhaps a little more)

jacauc

... Regardless of routing speed though, you'll be limited to the port speed. Should you ever upgrade to 200Mb fiber, you're limited by rb again.

ZSam

Yeah most Mikrotiks will do that. RB750, RB951 easily.

It's when you get to the 1Gbit speeds where you need to look at a RB3011 and upwards.
Hi

Currently running filter rules, mangle, PPPoE client and server and radius on RB750UP with two 10Mbit lines. Works great.

Which would be better between RB750Gr3 and RB960PGS for the same setup but now running 200/100 OpenServe Fibre? Would any of these routers bottleneck and not allow the use of full 200/100?

The latter has PoE and SFP but smaller CPU and memory. Also, would this be able to connect directly to ONT?

*Fibre being installed in a few days. Yay!

Input would be appreciated before I break the bank!
Thanks.

Donkey_hote

Hi @ZSam, I have an rb962 and an rb750gr3. I only recently bought the gr3 so not much experience with that. I'm not sure how much I can help but the gr3 does not have an sfp port so that may stop you connecting to the ont without something in between. More cost?, more to go wrong, more complication.......... you know the story. Can I suggest you wait a few days until you have your fibre installed and you can see exactly what you get. Once you know that it might help guide you. I don't think there is much to worry about with either choice as I think they will handle 200/100 but I can warn you that the gr3 has a different (new?) switch chip and there has been some confusion how to set it up mostly regarding vlan's . Another slightly off subject warning, and you may already know this, the mikrotik poe is only 24V and will not power some equipment without you upgrading to a higher voltage power supply. I'd be interested to know what you choose and how you get on. Please give us some feedback if you get time. Thanks and enjoy the new fibre, I am seriously jealous:)

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Your FNO will install an ONU that converts fibre to copper. 9/10 times they dont allow you to plug the fibre directly into your SFP router, this is for troubleshooting, and probably most importantly, remote configurations.

@ZSam both of those will work fine. Personally I would go for a MikroTik hAP ac2. It has a great switching chip, and a quad core CPU. The dual band wifi is also a plus.

Donkey_hote

I can't argue with @rubber_otter as that is the model I have and it is a superb router, BUT the price is at least double it may not be suitable for you. Roughly speaking, Gr3 R900, rb 960 R1,300, rb 962 hap ac R2,400. If it's in range, buy it you won't be sorry:) . I think I would wait those extra days to see what you are supplied with, as I said before it might alter your perspective.

jacauc

Your FNO will install an ONU that converts fibre to copper. 9/10 times they dont allow you to plug the fibre directly into your SFP router, this is for troubleshooting, and probably most importantly, remote configurations.
Also note that the fiber installed to your house is a SINGLE core fiber, which won't plug into any traditional SFP module anyway.

Last edited:

Donkey_hote

Not sure how @jacauc knows what your installation will look like. As reported on mybb many times the fibre providers are notorious for not being consistent. Whats cheapest probably driving the decision but could also be what is available at the time(imho). SFPmodules are available in many different formats. Dual fibre and single fibre:).

ZSam

Thanks for all the info peeps! Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Now, would I be able to let the MT do PPPoE login to my ISP?

I've already been given the D-Link DIR-825 as my router but would rather use the MT.

As I have it now, my DSL routers are in bridge mode. I read somewhere the D-Link doesn't have bridge mode :eek:

ZSam

Awesome. I think I realized after posting that it probably just means I'm replacing the D-Link with the MT as it's a WAN router and doesn't use a phone line so no need for the bridge hahaha!