Hermanus riots

genetic

Honorary Master
I have English Tourists coming out in four weeks, I will be taking them around the hood, we the Cape Town hood, which includes Walker Bay, hopefully it quietens down by then.....

Stay strong....
The crisis is in the township. Hermanus is pretty much business as usual.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
The crisis is in the township. Hermanus is pretty much business as usual.

It has spilled over now and again, most notably at the Beach Club which is residential and holiday apartments next door to Zwe, but that won't be allowed to happen anymore with such a heavy police presence. Mount Pleasant also had the odd incursion last week and the R43 closed a few times, but the police contained everything pretty quickly.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Hermanus CPF 22/07/18 update at 17h30 : there remains a strong SAPS presence in Zwelihle following the meeting this afternoon, and no incidents have been reported. We are hopeful that most people will be back at work tomorrow, however there could be isolated areas where the residents might have less freedom of movement. Further communication will be done once we have more information.

akescpt

Honorary Master
Are these people threatening people who want to work locals or bus people?

Wife just said tonight that the little one hadn't been back to hermanus yet. We usually stay at the beach club though. Told her it's a bit dicey at the moment. Pissess me of no end though. One of my favorite places.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Are these people threatening people who want to work locals or bus people?

Wife just said tonight that the little one hadn't been back to hermanus yet. We usually stay at the beach club though. Told her it's a bit dicey at the moment. Pissess me of no end though. One of my favorite places.

All locals apparently. People are confident this is over the worst and situation is normalising.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Kuk going down again tonight. Waste transfer station that was previously vandalised has been petrol bombed and burnt out completely.

Rubber bullets have also been fired.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Reports of rubber bullets not accurate thankfully.

Hermanus CPF 23/07/18 update at 06h30 : Zwelihle was quiet overnight with no groupings reported. The only incident is a fire that was started near Hermanus Recycling. We are optimistic that most people will return to work today, and we appeal to anyone who experiences intimidation to report it to SAPS, they cannot act without complaints. Overstrand Municipality will continue with the clean up of Zwelihle roads and implementing essential services today.

schumi

Honorary Master
Return cop's gun before we leave Zwelihle – Cele

Cape Town - Police Minister Bheki Cele says he will not withdraw the heavy police presence in Zwelihle, Hermanus, until the firearm robbed from an officer is returned.

Cele had visited the area which has seen violent protests that led to the shutting down of four schools and a local clinic.

Residents have been demanding the release of Zwelihle Renewal leader Gcobani Ndzongana - arrested for inciting violence and destruction of property - and more than 60 residents who were arrested after him.

Additional police were on Tuesday deployed in the area and a 24/7 base camp was set up in Swartdam Road.

Cele said all affected parties needed to work together and there was still a long way to go before stability would be fully achieved in the area.

More at: https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/return-cops-gun-before-we-leave-zwelihle-cele-16215024

Spizz

Goat Botherer

There were a lot of rumours and unhappy people yesterday during and after his visit. I heard he gave most attention to the thugs by meeting them and not the elected councilors. He also promised to go to see the guy who was arrested and is in Pollsmoor and APOLOGISE to him. He also apparently blanked the local mayor and chastised him in front of others by thinking he was important enough to share a platform with Cele.

As I say, all rumours, but some from people I know.

genetic

Honorary Master
There were a lot of rumours and unhappy people yesterday during and after his visit. I heard he gave most attention to the thugs by meeting them and not the elected councilors. He also promised to go to see the guy who was arrested and is in Pollsmoor and APOLOGISE to him. He also apparently blanked the local mayor and chastised him in front of others by thinking he was important enough to share a platform with Cele.

As I say, all rumours, but some from people I know.
Cele doesn't take crap, seems unlike him.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
The Mayor delivered a speech to the council last night. This was in the report :mad:

It is however with regret and utter sadness that I have to inform you that the damage to the municipality’s property, following the civil unrest actions amount to an estimated R39 781 590,00 and is made up of the following:

Zwelihle Satellite Police Station - R1 345 126
Zwelihle Library- R5 828 880
Zwelihle Taxi Rank - R1 452 000
Zwelihle Informal Trading Stalls - R446 770
Zwelihle New Housing Development - R1 751 788
Zwelihle/Mount Pleasant Swimming Pool - R1 931 647
Housing Offices - R6 277 255
Hermanus Sewer Plant - R40 000
Fence along Schulphoek Road - R399 833
Transfer Station - R12 808 291
Recycle Plant - R7 5000 000
TOTAL: R39 781 590

https://www.facebook.com/overstrandmunicipality/posts/1977128589005320

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Stupid ****ers burned down a library. WTF did the books do to them? How will this continent ever move forward with people like this?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It needs to be made clear to them that this is 40 million that will not be spent on giving them houses.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I find it hard to believe that the municipality will be able to recover from that amount of loss.

Budza

Executive Member
It needs to be made clear to them that this is 40 million that will not be spent on giving them houses.

Add 40 months to everyone on the housing list's wait time...

Last edited:

schumi

Honorary Master
18 people charged over Hermanus protest to apply for bail

A group of 18 people will apply for bail in the Hermanus Magistrate's Court on Monday after being charged for crimes related to a protest earlier this month.

Zwelihle Renewal Committee member Theron Mqhu faces charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances, attempted murder and public violence. The others face charges relating to public violence.

Mqhu's charges are related to the brutal attack of a law enforcement official who was also robbed of his firearm. Attackers struck the officer on the head with an axe while he was in his police vehicle. The officer had to be hospitalised in critical condition at the time.

His lawyer previously told the court that Mqhu had actually been the one to ensure the firearm was returned safely, after being taken by unknown protesters.

Protests flared up in March over land for backyarders after a group started pegging out plots on municipal land. There were also complaints about alleged irregularities in government housing processes and the unequal expenditure of services between black and white residents.

More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...r-hermanus-protest-to-apply-for-bail-20180730