Higher Cell C price surprise

MrG

Executive Member
Do we now have an option to terminate our contracts because we deem it impossible to afford the extra costs?

What happens to a family on an extremely tight budget that literally cannot afford an extra R10 on their Straight-Up 100?

Praeses

Expert Member
I had the same problem on prepaid. I had a recurring data bundle...saw in Feb it was R19 instead of R15. No notice, no confirmation whether you agree to pay more.

Guess what happens when you try to unsubscribe (by phoning their call center) to a recurring data bundle? You lose ALL data on your account...whether it's from the recurring bundle, once-off bundle or from supacharge etc. all of that just because you don't want them to automatically take money from you anymore.

Once my airtime is done, I'm porting. Been waiting for them to fix their tower for 40 days now...support ticket is stuck in limbo I guess.

BGE

Expert Member
Once the consumer champions... now villains and village idiots... will someone please get Alan Knott-Craig back... before Jose dos Santos destroys all the good work done!

Haha... go google "cellc ceo"... still pops up Alan Knott-Craig in big bold type!

Vegeta

Executive Member
They should have kept the price the same while decreasing the minutes or airtime value or whatever or just charge more per sec.

You can't just up the amount debited from people's accounts on a contract that's just a stupid way to ensure you disgruntle your customer base.

Beachless

Executive Member
This is another pretty scummy move from cellc and I hope they enjoy the repercussions.

lucifir

Expert Member
I have queried this with them and was annoyed when they pointed me to some clauses in the contract that say I agreed to them amending the contract anytime, and got even more annoyed when they say I cannot really cancel without penalties.
Needless to say I am moving away from them, just glad my contract ends next month.
If my contract was not ending soon, I would not have let it go so easily :)

Can't stand these underhanded tactics. Decreasing minutes,sms,data,etc. would have been the way to go, not increase the price you have contracted to!!

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Has another network ever done this mid-contract? It's like they forgot to do the maths up-front when they offered the contracts to customers. I mean what's stopping them from upping the cost by an extra R5 on a monthly basis?

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Can't stand these underhanded tactics. Decreasing minutes,sms,data,etc. would have been the way to go, not increase the price you have contracted to!!
They've already started with their minimum of 25kb per data session. With calls, they just drop the call 3 or 4 times and milk the customers still on per minute billing.

lucifir

Expert Member
They've already started with their minimum of 25kb per data session. With calls, they just drop the call 3 or 4 times and milk the customers still on per minute billing.
had actually forgotten about that, so in essence they have applied a double increase.
Definitely time to move. Guess this will be the nail in the coffin for cell c.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Will let my contract run out - still more than 18 months to go.

Then I will not renew it....

signeffex

Once the consumer champions... now villains and village idiots... will someone please get Alan Knott-Craig back... before Jose dos Santos destroys all the good work done!
You mean before he steals all the company money.

We knew about the price hikes before hand but based on previous experiences and the way the other companies operate,
I HONESTLY thought it was going to apply to NEW sign ups and prepaid only. I was just as shocked to see the bill on 3
of my contracts go up....and I'm an insider...yeah i know there's a clause about it somewhere but I think this is the first time in history that something like this has been done. Dirty Bastards.

Wall

Sports Addict
I was wondering why my account was slightly higher this month. I just assumed I went slightly over and didn't check. I didn't get sms or pop up message.

My contract end 14 May 2015 and I've already set up a reminder to give them notice of cancellation on 10 April 2015.

:mad:

Wall

Sports Addict
I'm absolutely gobsmacked by their decision. Did they not expect a backlash when this implemented?

They've lost me for good. Unethical bastards.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Surely if they do this, you are entitled to break the contract? What if I don't agree to the new prices? I agreed to the old contract knowing the price, now the price has changed?

alternate

Expert Member
Cell C this is the last straw.

You guys really, really suck.
Terrible data throughput.
The constant will this call actually go through lottery and now this.

My family is cancelling three of their contracts that end next month.

Before you cancel, use up all off of the data and minutes, make sure you call another network instead of Cell C.

McT

The Humble Scot!
This increase has to be the most surreptitious I have experienced. I cannot recall a single notification.

But this, I am afraid, is the experience I have become use to from Cell C. In too many way, their service outshines only a thousand year old stagnant pond.