Hisense Fridges

Pitbull

Verboten
Thanks eBucks and House & Home.

In the end we (read wife) decided on this Defy.

Nett volume was 25lt more than a black mirror finish Hisense we looked at and it was also R700 cheaper.

Defy warranty is 5yrs.
What capacity is it?

We bought the Hisense 610L with the mini freezer combo. I'll post pictures tonight.

APoc184

Honorary Master
What capacity is it?

We bought the Hisense 610L with the mini freezer combo. I'll post pictures tonight.
348lt Nett Volume. Think it is a 385lt Gross.
The Hisense was a 420lt gross but nett came in at only 320lt.

We had a small KIC 176lt or something, so this is a massive jump for us.

Pitbull

Verboten
348lt Nett Volume. Think it is a 385lt Gross.
The Hisense was a 420lt gross but nett came in at only 320lt.

We had a small KIC 176lt or something, so this is a massive jump for us.
I'll have to double check my new one then. But we had a small 305L and man, this new one is HUGE.
Forgot to take pictures last night, will try again tonight.

How does a Bosch warranty compare with Hisense?
Don't know. The Hisense one comes with 3 years, you then register it online for an extra year = 4 Years.

Magandroid

Expert Member
A question for those that purchased a Hisense fridge/freezer combination, especially the standard unit (not frost-free or auto-defrost). I would just like to know what your experience has been like so far? My reason for asking is that we bought one in November 2018 and already we have found that the freezer compartment has iced up.
Even the overflow drainage pipe leading from has now fridge is blocked due to ice that has formed there. I have also noticed that the freezer door doesn't seal up as well is our previous fridge and is actually easier to open than the fridge door.
Anyone else have this issue?

David101

A question for those that purchased a Hisense fridge/freezer combination, especially the standard unit (not frost-free or auto-defrost). I would just like to know what your experience has been like so far? My reason for asking is that we bought one in November 2018 and already we have found that the freezer compartment has iced up.
Even the overflow drainage pipe leading from has now fridge is blocked due to ice that has formed there. I have also noticed that the freezer door doesn't seal up as well is our previous fridge and is actually easier to open than the fridge door.
Got mine Dec 2018
Hate the bloody thing and Hicraps so-called service with a vengeance. Eventually told them to go take a dump together with the useless folk at the consumer ombud.
Same on all your issues, freezing, overflow drainage pipe not draining etc.
I am saving up for a Bosch

jadiwolv

If you dont have a frost free model I would suggest a defrost every 6 months. The drainage hole is a easy fix, boil a kettle and let it cool for a bit (not boiling) and pour it down the hole.

Also overpacking your freezer will cause frost build up. They will freeze up, its in the nature of the technology and I would urge anyone, who can afford it, to go for a frost free. Think the Hisense frost free 340L goes for R6999-R7499, wine rack etc etc.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Got mine Dec 2018
Hate the bloody thing and Hicraps so-called service with a vengeance. Eventually told them to go take a dump together with the useless folk at the consumer ombud.
Same on all your issues, freezing, overflow drainage pipe not draining etc.
I am saving up for a Bosch
Oh no, that doesn't sound very good. To think there wasn't anything actually wrong with the Defy we had for over 10 years. With all the sales happening we felt maybe a change would be good and just gave the old one away.

David101

Our 20-year old LG that got moved to the garage as a "drinks" fridge also has ZERO wrong with it!
Like they say.. If it aint broke.....

Magandroid

Expert Member
If you dont have a frost free model I would suggest a defrost every 6 months. The drainage hole is a easy fix, boil a kettle and let it cool for a bit (not boiling) and pour it down the hole.

Also overpacking your freezer will cause frost build up. They will freeze up, its in the nature of the technology and I would urge anyone, who can afford it, to go for a frost free. Think the Hisense frost free 340L goes for R6999-R7499, wine rack etc etc.
Was initially considering the frost-free unit but at the time with the possible extension of loadshedding, we figured loadshedding was going to extend for 6-8 hours, at least the normal freezer would keep the contents colder for longer.
Tried the hot water solution but found that I could only push the wire down about 10cm which didn't allow us to pour in much water. Not sure how far down the ice went and eventually cleared when the freezer completely defrosted afew hours later.
6 months is not a long time between defrosting and the manual states once a year. My old Defy, we defrosted between 2 and 3 years. Also it was easier to remove the ice from the Defy freezer as the back and side was smooth sides, enclosing the gas pipes. Now with all the exposed pipes and grated trays it takes longer so much longer to defrost.
Now I don't like Hisense anymore.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Our 20-year old LG that got moved to the garage as a "drinks" fridge also has ZERO wrong with it!
Like they say.. If it aint broke.....
You're wasting quite a bit of electricity using an old fridge just for drinks.

aktiv

You're wasting quite a bit of electricity using an old fridge just for drinks.
You will be surprised to see the difference in electricity use between 20 + year old fridge and a new A+ rating one
Some have kwh rating of 1 unit a day

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I have a very basic Hisense 220L fridge/freezer combo for 5 years now and haven't had any issues at all with it.

It's not a frost-free freezer so we just defrost it once a year. Doesn't take long because the thing is quite small.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You will be surprised to see the difference in electricity use between 20 + year old fridge and a new A+ rating one
Some have kwh rating of 1 unit a day
Even less now, my big double door fridge/freezer combo is only A rated and it's 1.5 units a day, whereas I've seen some as little as 290 a year.

Magandroid

Expert Member
Just an update from yesterday. I thought I'd send Hisense an email explaining my problem and asked if anyone could assist. This morning I received an email acknowledging my commincation and was asked to complete a repair form so that they can assist me. Didn't actually expect this but let's see where we get to.