Home Automation - Smartkit

Looks like what I want
8f3be3e3cda1fb6f9315c7e29bc809d6.jpg
 
Hi guys, so I have recently become aware of Sonoff and even the notion of anything being controlled via wifi (I have seen it on youtube but did not realise it was available in SA)

What I would like to know is if I can connect this device to my geyser to control when it comes on and goes off? If so, which product from Sonoff should I get and if possible, how would i connect it?

Thanks
I was wanting to control my houses two geysers as this was chowing electricity (used my CBI panel to verify).
Decided against going DIY putting off the shelf Sonoff in line with the geyser (tend to pack up).
Discovered GeyserBot (geyserbot.co.za) which ticks all the boxes for me, and is locally produced (local is lekker).
After month use, saved 100 units of electricity, and provides me the flexibility to see real-time temperature and turn on and off remotely (if I so wish).
So impressed started distributing it here in Port Elizabeth. Photo of a client installation. IMG_20191102_095140.jpg
 
Looks like what I want
8f3be3e3cda1fb6f9315c7e29bc809d6.jpg

Does a very good job but is a little tricky to mount for a “whole room” view if you want it higher up.

If you put it down somewhere mid level like on top of a cupboard or shelf or something it’s excellent and catches any angle.
 
I was wanting to control my houses two geysers as this was chowing electricity (used my CBI panel to verify).
Decided against going DIY putting off the shelf Sonoff in line with the geyser (tend to pack up).
Discovered GeyserBot (geyserbot.co.za) which ticks all the boxes for me, and is locally produced (local is lekker).
After month use, saved 100 units of electricity, and provides me the flexibility to see real-time temperature and turn on and off remotely (if I so wish).
So impressed started distributing it here in Port Elizabeth. Photo of a client installation. View attachment 739279

That is one very big box that surely doesn’t have all that much going on inside.
 
I have a perfect spot about 2m upon a shelf

Yeah that will work perfectly.

The non-pan one seems to have a wider angle lens but could be placebo.

Stupidly though it’s mounting kit doesn’t come with a USB cord long enough to facilitate a really high mount in any normal room.

Got really annoyed because of mine this weekend as I put in a new plug socket with USB near the one in my daughters room just to clean things up.

Turns out their 2.1A rating was a big fat lie.
 
Hi

Does anybody know if the Samsung Smartthings hub v3 works in South Africa. By this I mean you can buy it from Amazon.co.uk so that you get the correct Z-Wave frequency and then set the hub in SA. I have read on 1 site that they block the location this can be setup from.

Has anybody bought this and setup from scratch in SA.
Thanks
 
Yeah that will work perfectly.

The non-pan one seems to have a wider angle lens but could be placebo.

Stupidly though it’s mounting kit doesn’t come with a USB cord long enough to facilitate a really high mount in any normal room.

Got really annoyed because of mine this weekend as I put in a new plug socket with USB near the one in my daughters room just to clean things up.

Turns out their 2.1A rating was a big fat lie.

ag nee man! was just about to order :cautious:

found this

15' usb cable
 
Yeah that will work perfectly.

The non-pan one seems to have a wider angle lens but could be placebo.

Stupidly though it’s mounting kit doesn’t come with a USB cord long enough to facilitate a really high mount in any normal room.

Got really annoyed because of mine this weekend as I put in a new plug socket with USB near the one in my daughters room just to clean things up.

Turns out their 2.1A rating was a big fat lie.
Yeah this is why I'm advocating completely wireless solutions.
 
ag nee man! was just about to order :cautious:

found this

15' usb cable

I would highly recommend the third party amazon ones yes.

They are also all in one cables.

The normal Wyze comes with an extension while the Pan comes with a single much longer cable.

With a plug in the middle of the room the normal cam extension kit made it about 2/3 up the wall which for my use case was fine as a baby monitor.
 
thing is I'm away 8 weeks at a time - 48hrs battery backup not going to help.
The Uniden is what you're really after then: AppCam Solo 2 operates with a rechargeable battery that supports the camera for about 180 days.
 
Yeah this is why I'm advocating completely wireless solutions.

There is no such thing.

Everything still needs a wire.

What I mention is really a minor and easily circumvented installation issue.

Wyze is amazing in every other way.
 
There is no such thing.

Everything still needs a wire.

What I mention is really a minor and easily circumvented installation issue.

Wyze is amazing in every other way.

Well after 180 days, sure. Unless you're using the external solar option?
 
There is no such thing.

Everything still needs a wire.

What I mention is really a minor and easily circumvented installation issue.

Wyze is amazing in every other way.

Uniden Appcam Solo 2, 100% Wire-Free, Place It Anywhere, Full HD 1080P Smart Security Camera, Weatherproof, Remote Viewing, Two-Way Talk, Siren Alert, Rechargeable Battery, Solar Power Compatible

You just have swap batteries every 6 months.
 
Well after 180 days, sure. Unless you're using the external solar option?

No, nothing as fancy as that.

Just pointing out that “completely wireless” is a bullshitty marketing statement and not a reality applies to everything from cameras to speakers while being universally untrue.
 

Uniden Appcam Solo 2, 100% Wire-Free, Place It Anywhere, Full HD 1080P Smart Security Camera, Weatherproof, Remote Viewing, Two-Way Talk, Siren Alert, Rechargeable Battery, Solar Power Compatible

You just have swap batteries every 6 months.

Okay you win with that one.

Still, deeply inconvenient.

6 months is pretty solid though.

But I suspect the app support won’t be anywhere near Wyze.

And the cost is insanity in comparison.

I could almost camera my entire house with Wyze cams for the cost of one of those.
 
Okay you win with that one.

Still, deeply inconvenient.

6 months is pretty solid though.

But I suspect the app support won’t be anywhere near Wyze.

And the cost is insanity in comparison.

I could almost camera my entire house with Wyze cams for the cost of one of those.
Look it's also because of the IR detection and IP65 rating that you would buy the camera.

However it would most likely be on import and it's not really sold in SA.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X