Home Automation - Smartkit

skefda

did you ever get this to work?
I did get the sensor with the SV working perfectly using ESPHome. The sensor showed the lumen count as expected. What ended up happening was that I needed an LED inside the alarm control panel to use but there was'nt one that changed based on Alarm / Disarm. After trying to use the outputs on the board for status, which didn't work, I've put this project on the back burner. There is an LED on the keypad, but I need to figure out how to mount the sensor in such a way that it looks nice and doesnt block access to the keys.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I did get the sensor with the SV working perfectly using ESPHome. The sensor showed the lumen count as expected. What ended up happening was that I needed an LED inside the alarm control panel to use but there was'nt one that changed based on Alarm / Disarm. After trying to use the outputs on the board for status, which didn't work, I've put this project on the back burner. There is an LED on the keypad, but I need to figure out how to mount the sensor in such a way that it looks nice and doesnt block access to the keys.
what panel do you have? maybe try what i am going to do now?

patrick123

Expert Member
thanks for your guidance.

just another question, what is the difference here between the

https://www.communica.co.za/products/kb817-b and https://www.communica.co.za/products/4n35
Only a pleasure.
Apart from the surface mount package, which can be a b*tch to solder, it would basically be the forward voltage and the minimum/nominal amps that would be required to light up the diode that would trigger the reaction, but then you have that dandy link that I supplied.
Simply look of the specs sheet, enter the required led specs, and Bob's your non-binary relative. :)
Any issues, just give me a shout.

Disclaimer, My dad was my goto guy, I'm just a simple hobbyist, so anyone with better knowledge, please assist :)

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Solved the lock issue. Youtube provided a good answer.. all I did was push the broken key futher in with the part that I still had and then turned .. I can't believe it worked. Btw, locks - look like they very easy to break. The two spanner method is frightening.:)

Would appreciate help on the HA/MQTT configuration.

I connected my Sonoff SV and I see it coming up on the Wifi. The Dr ZZs video shows the code that one needs to put in configuration.yaml into HA, etc - but when I enter it, config check complains.

Besides the Mqtt/wifi settings, this is what i used for the SV configuration:
Hostname: SONOFF_FrontGate
Mqttclient: SONOFF_FrontGate
Topic: SONOFF_FrontGate
FriendlyName1: Front-Gate

Code:
in configuration.yaml
cover:
- platform: mqtt
    name: "SONOFF_FrontGate"
    state_topic: "cmnd/gatestate/POWER2"  <<< I used gatestate as that was defined in the console ?
    command_topic: "cmnd/sonoffsv01/POWER"  <<< what does sonoffsv01 refer too
    payload_open: "ON"
    payload_close: "ON"
    payload_stop: "ON"
    state_open: "ON"
    state_closed: "OFF"
    optimistic: false
I put the following in Tasmota console
PulseTime1 1
Switchretain 1
Powerretain 1
switchtopic2 gatestate <He has garagestate so i renamed to gatestate
switchmode1 0
switchmode2 2

Can someone post their config for a SONOFF SV across all the files i.e. configuration.yaml, customize.yaml, groups.yaml so I can use as a reference? Thank you.
over all i am finding his video pretty lacking on the instructions and various comments about setting switchtopic2 for example which he doesn't specify, did you ever come right with this?

I am trying to follow his example to make an alarm integration whereby i can see the alarms state with the switch (on - armed, off - disarmed, on/off in short succession repeatedly would mean alarm) but i feel like i am missing something as i can't get the basics working with his instructions

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
After much fighting in the air with the garage motor, after testing it 100% on the ground it turns out the motherfucking bread board pins were being useless so I just soldered up the whole lot.

View attachment 595532

Tomorrow I will tackle the front gate which should be identical and then the alarm which should be simple enough but I want to see if I can get it more advanced with the PGM output.

Basically this off the top of my head...

Sonoff

Flash to Tasmota and then set configuration to Sonoff SV. Reboot and then set GPIO 14 to "10 Switch 2".

Go go console and do the following...
Code:
Switchretain 1
Powerretain 1
switchtopic2 garagestate
switchmode1 0
switchmode2 2
PulseTime1 5
Home Assistant

I was confused at first by DrZzs' use of the "cover" naming conversion until I figured out it's actually a component specifically for OpenGarage...

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/cover.opengarage/

And that's where the icons and template comes from for the up/stop/down arrows.

So therefore I needed the following...

configuration.yaml

Code:
cover: !include cover.yaml
cover.yaml

Code:
    name: "Garage Door"
    state_topic: "cmnd/garagestate/POWER2"
    command_topic: "cmnd/garage/POWER"
    payload_stop: "ON"
    state_open: "ON"
    state_closed: "OFF"
groups.yaml

Code:
Garage:
    name: Garage
    view: no
    control: hidden
    icon: mdi:garage
    entities:
      - cover.garage_door
customize.yaml

Code:
cover.garage_door:
  device_class: garage
  friendly_name: Garage Door
And that should do the job.

Now to dig into the iOS and Homekit part of it.

guys sorry for all the spamming, working on a few things here.

to do this did you actually need that component?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Opengarage
I think it’s originally based on that but it’s just a generic cover now.

Will try log in on my phone quick and see what remained eventually but it’s likely close to the same.

Code:
    availability_topic: "tele/garage/LWT"
#    payload_stop: "ON"
    state_open: "OPEN"
    state_closed: "CLOSED"
    payload_available: "Online"
    payload_not_available: "Offline"
    retain: false

Steamy Tom

Executive Member

Will try log in on my phone quick and see what remained eventually but it’s likely close to the same.
Thank you very much, I would really appreciate what you did here and with your alarm integration, I'm struggling to peice it all together, once I can see a working example I reckon I will be able to understand.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member

Code:
    availability_topic: "tele/garage/LWT"
#    payload_stop: "ON"
    state_open: "OPEN"
    state_closed: "CLOSED"
    payload_available: "Online"
    payload_not_available: "Offline"
    retain: false
sorry i never saw this edit. So you have this one switch and that is all? how did you present this on your overview screen?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
sorry i never saw this edit. So you have this one switch and that is all? how did you present this on your overview screen?
Shows up like this, I just use the default themes and such. Nothing fancy.

The stop function does nothing.

Last edited:

Neethro

Hey, freely admit that I am a bit late to the party here, but how are you guys solving the No Neutral issue in the light switch wiring. I have found the Capacitor based solution, but I'm wondering how safe this actually is.
I'm using the No Neutral option with a small capacitor installed at the light. No issues whatsoever. Works beautifully. Definitely the easier option. No Neutral switches are only about R30 to (maybe) R50 more expensive than the ones that do require a neutral wire - probably to cover the cost of the additional capacitor.
Nevertheless, I'm happy :)

mtlost

I'm using the No Neutral option with a small capacitor installed at the light. No issues whatsoever. Works beautifully. Definitely the easier option. No Neutral switches are only about R30 to (maybe) R50 more expensive than the ones that do require a neutral wire - probably to cover the cost of the additional capacitor.
Nevertheless, I'm happy :)
Care to share you're setup, maybe some pics?
What globes do you use? LED or CFL?

Where and what units did you buy? (Would like to buy tried and tested if possible)

thanks