Home Automation - Smartkit

Brakanjan

Hi All

Just wanted to know if anyone knows if we have proper good quality wifi/smart circuit breakers in SA yet, that have all the necessary approvals, e.g. SABS, etc.? Ones that would be acceptable to home insurance and in the event of a claim? Almost like these ones from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=CNZJSC&ref=bl_dp_s_web_0). Was just wondering if we have such circuit breakers locally yet so that one does not need to use the usualsonoff switches with relay circuits for bigger current setups. Thanks :)

patrick123

Expert Member
Hi All

Just wanted to know if anyone knows if we have proper good quality wifi/smart circuit breakers in SA yet, that have all the necessary approvals, e.g. SABS, etc.? Ones that would be acceptable to home insurance and in the event of a claim? Almost like these ones from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=CNZJSC&ref=bl_dp_s_web_0). Was just wondering if we have such circuit breakers locally yet so that one does not need to use the usualsonoff switches with relay circuits for bigger current setups. Thanks :)
I think that the limiting factor is the 3.3v drive voltage for the relay. The relays then only allow a 16 amp switching capability. I think this is more for a cost effective and majority use purpose.

It should be viable to exchange the existing relay for something like this to give us up to 40 amps. :)

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13015

spiff

Executive Member
No neutral capacitor hack

paulb

She really likes the TX T3 switches, but I seem to remember a while ago (feels like almost 2 years) somebody mentioned they don't fit flush against the wall and some 3d printer plates where done.
For the T series new and old I use a Cabstrut pedestal cover plate with a 75x50 cut out behind the switches-see pic. For single switches I use the Sonoff mini in the wall box with the CBI dimmer switch as it has a nice action but is not a toggle.

Attachments

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Are there any dimmers that work in a two way configuration?

I'm starting to think next time I paint I'm going to replace the wall box with 4x4s instead of 4x2...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
@Dolby is following up as they haven't supplied WiFi certifications. Eish!CASA says sorry no.

We have tests for the Plug S and RGBW2.
Pity...

Hoping it gets sorted soon... Looking to expand the stuff in the house in the not too distant future when I'm no longer broke.

R4m80

Does anyone use a smart WiFi/GSM alarm system? What system do you have and what is the pro's and cons?

calypso

Expert Member
Are there any dimmers that work in a two way configuration?

I'm starting to think next time I paint I'm going to replace the wall box with 4x4s instead of 4x2...
Some of my switches are not connected to anything and pass MQTT commands. That might work in this case. I converted all my 2 ways to one-ways (wire wise).

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Need some advice regarding electrical plug points, please.

I have 4 ezviz POE smart cameras around my house. I also have a couple of wyzecams and jus ordered more to fill in some blind spots with wyze sense/lights as well.

I want to move the ezviz nvr into the ceiling. The main reason is to keep it safe should there be a break-in, and another reason is I am using the POE ports to power my Wyze cams as well - so location makes sense.

QUESTION: I don't have an additional plug point for the NVR, but thought I can use the point where my geyser connects and just add a double plug and connect the nvr there. Would it be okay to do this or do I need to ask an electrician to make another point for me (ideally don't want as cost too high).

Thanks!

MattRoy

I have 4 ezviz POE smart cameras around my house. I also have a couple of wyzecams and jus ordered more to fill in some blind spots with wyze sense/lights as well.

I want to move the ezviz nvr into the ceiling. The main reason is to keep it safe should there be a break-in, and another reason is I am using the POE ports to power my Wyze cams as well - so location makes sense.

QUESTION: I don't have an additional plug point for the NVR, but thought I can use the point where my geyser connects and just add a double plug and connect the nvr there. Would it be okay to do this or do I need to ask an electrician to make another point for me (ideally don't want as cost too high).

Thanks!
Adding a plug to the geyser circuit would be a code violation iirc.

alqassam

Expert Member

Thanks!
Becareful of dust in the ceiling as well.

Tinuva

The Magician

Thanks!
Yeah like above, that will break the certification because you adding it to a breaker that has more amps than there should be, so the breaker may not trip if there is a fault with the NVR but the Geyser is ok.
It must go on to a 16amp breaker.

Do it right, because otherwise you have to sort lots of **** out to get certification when you sell house one day and at that time you may not want to spend the funds or time.

ps. Electrician would probably tap into another point instead of adding a new breaker to the DB altogether.

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Yeah like above, that will break the certification because you adding it to a breaker that has more amps than there should be, so the breaker may not trip if there is a fault with the NVR but the Geyser is ok.
It must go on to a 16amp breaker.

Do it right, because otherwise you have to sort lots of **** out to get certification when you sell house one day and at that time you may not want to spend the funds or time.

ps. Electrician would probably tap into another point instead of adding a new breaker to the DB altogether.
I figured as much. The NVR doesn't draw a lot of power and thought to add them is the easiest option. They would tap into another light fitting I am sure, but this is again money I don't have/want to spend extra at the moment

paulb

Does anyone use a smart WiFi/GSM alarm system? What system do you have and what is the pro's and cons?
I use a Comfort from Cytech and have full integration to HA. I also drive some of my automation via the Comfort outputs and use Telegram for alerts.

Attachments