Home Automation - Smartkit

Picked up a funny bug with the Sonoff POWs / Tasmota, they' don't seem to rollover power usage to the next day if they're off (loadshedding) at midnight.

Currently, we've been off repeatedly 10pm to 12:30am - and the POWs are just increasing daily usage, instead of resetting to zero.

And as I expected last night it rolled over.

So the last three days were just seen as one.

Monthly stats are still safe.
 
Has anyone come across a wireless monitor (preferably Wi-Fi connectable) that can be placed in a fridge or freezer to keep track of the temperature?

With all the loadshedding, food in the freezers defrost, become no longer safe to consume but then freeze back into their "original" form when the power returns.

So a monitor that tracks temperature over time would be very useful.
 
Has anyone come across a wireless monitor (preferably Wi-Fi connectable) that can be placed in a fridge or freezer to keep track of the temperature?

With all the loadshedding, food in the freezers defrost, become no longer safe to consume but then freeze back into their "original" form when the power returns.

So a monitor that tracks temperature over time would be very useful.
Sonoff TH series
 
Has anyone come across a wireless monitor (preferably Wi-Fi connectable) that can be placed in a fridge or freezer to keep track of the temperature?

With all the loadshedding, food in the freezers defrost, become no longer safe to consume but then freeze back into their "original" form when the power returns.

So a monitor that tracks temperature over time would be very useful.
Make sure that the temp probe can track up to at least -25 degrees else it will be useless.
You might have to drill a hole into your freezer so that the electronics don't get affected.
 
Has anyone come across a wireless monitor (preferably Wi-Fi connectable) that can be placed in a fridge or freezer to keep track of the temperature?

With all the loadshedding, food in the freezers defrost, become no longer safe to consume but then freeze back into their "original" form when the power returns.

So a monitor that tracks temperature over time would be very useful.

As long as you leave them all closed they really should be fine for a good 12 hours without any such worries.

Seems a bit like over-engineering a solution for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

But then what do I know, I often lick raw chicken while thinking of Americans having heart attacks about it.
 
I've mostly used Fibaro for my home automation needs. I have a friend that wants home automation done for his 75sqm apartment and looking for the most cost effective way.

What would you guys suggest for this apartment - @Dolby @phaktza

Lights to be controlled:
Lounge
Kitchen
Bedroom 1
Bedroom 2
En-suite
General bathroom
Patio
RGBW strip behind TV or TV unit

Are the Mini's able to control 2 physical switches or only 1? i.e. If there is a 3 gang switch what would I use?

Will be installing 1 x UniFi AP AC-LR for the WiFi
Google Home or Alexa for voice
1 x Apple TV 4K

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I know that people have used these in fridges/freezers.
I use the Xiaomi aqara sensors and have one inside the fridge.

Been using it for more than a year now.

So far, in a 2.5hour loadshedding slot, with the fridge set to 3 degrees, it usually hover around 3.5-4. When load shedding happen in the morning, loses 2.5 degrees. When it happens in the middle of the day where its 30 degrees outside, loses 3.5-4 degrees during loadshedding and that is without opening the door at all, no one at home.
 
And as I expected last night it rolled over.

So the last three days were just seen as one.

Monthly stats are still safe.

Doesn't work so well with reports though, my geyser and pool show more than my daily usage.
 
I also have a fridge question - can a TH16 be used to control a compressor? I.e. turn on and x degrees, and off at y degrees?

(Fridge is an old /ancient G&C)
 
Doesn't work so well with reports though, my geyser and pool show more than my daily usage.

Yeah but it’s still accurate for those days overall so not a big deal to me.

I could graph it by the hour and go manually work it out if I really needed to.
 
I also have a fridge question - can a TH16 be used to control a compressor? I.e. turn on and x degrees, and off at y degrees?

(Fridge is an old /ancient G&C)
It should work - you could use the DS18B20 sensor, which is waterproof but measures temp only.

Edit: just check that the switch can handle the load when the compressor fires up.
 
It should work - you could use the DS18B20 sensor, which is waterproof but measures temp only.

Edit: just check that the switch can handle the load when the compressor fires up.

Think it will - currently have it connected to a POW - and it hasn't peaked over 200w - the TH16 is 3500w.

Realised the wiring might be a bit complicated as it'll need to connect directly to the compressor, not the mains line.
 
Can you perhaps bypass/bridge the existing thermostat so that the compressor is directly connected to mains?
 
Can you perhaps bypass/bridge the existing thermostat so that the compressor is directly connected to mains?
Going to have to turn it upside down and have a look... Bought it about two weeks ago, was running normal until extended load shedding on Monday, now it stays on without turning off when temp is reached.

c4bc7a42afb60fbd0e06bc026e5f9b74.jpg
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X