How do you manage your passwords?

saturnz

Honorary Master
I've been using the same password for just about everything for the past 20 years, its just evolved as security expected more intricate passwords.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Been looking for a good password manager myself.
Been using LastPass for the month. Not impressed at all. The Android App is frustrating - erratic fill, automatic detection in apps is hit and miss, generally forces a manual intervention and lots of frustration. The Chrome plug-in is, at best, on par with Google's password manager. It isn't a compelling enough option. The Windows Desktop App is downright poor. Suffers from the same issues as the Android App.

EDIT: Oh - it doesn't seem to clear the android clipboard on Copy password.
That's Google's fault and will be fixed in Android O. Crazy to blame the devs when they can only work with what's given to them. Not going to bother with the rest...

saturnz

Honorary Master
Would be my preference if I was still working on a Mac.

Otherwise on the iPhone/iPad alone it's a bit useless to me on PC.

It is when it's locked down by 2-stage authentication and a proper password.
Yeah but the fact that you need a manager must imply a problem in itself.

My password philosophy may not seem bright, but passwords can be easily cracked in any event, the difference being a few moments really.

And 20 years later I've yet to have a breach.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah but the fact that you need a manager must imply a problem in itself.

My password philosophy may not seem bright, but passwords can be easily cracked in any event, the difference being a few moments really.

And 20 years later I've yet to have a breach.
Actually it's very very very far from a "few moments" and a properly generated password versus a thought up one is the difference between it taking years or minutes.

But the biggest risk with passwords is really just the repeated use of the same password and getting compromised at the lowest common denominator.

If your usage patterns are such that the risk of being compromised is reduced then that works too.

Or you've just been lucky.

If however you use one single password across the board and used something like public wifi at the airport I could gain access to all your accounts in mere minutes possibly even seconds...no matter what your password is.