How do you manage your passwords?

sanascyn

Hashinator on the android store. Best I used by far and its completely free. Dont think there is an IOS version of it though

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You don't need to remember hundreds of different passwords.

Just make one very secure password that you remember, and then combine it with easy words.

For example...

Base Password (memorise this one) = bZrPrFfkJY5#UU

then for every site you go to the end part will change...

bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Gmail
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Yahoo
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/MyBB
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Redtube

And you can keep adding extra layers as much as you want...

bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/FNB
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/Nedbank
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/Standard

Etc.
This way if someone hacks one of your passwords, none of the others will be the same.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
/sees leeked password is bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/Standard

/tries bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/FNB
/tries bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Social/FB
/tries bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Gmail

3lOH55A

Expert Member
You don't need to remember hundreds of different passwords.

Just make one very secure password that you remember, and then combine it with easy words.

For example...

Base Password (memorise this one) = bZrPrFfkJY5#UU

then for every site you go to the end part will change...

bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Gmail
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Yahoo
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/MyBB
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Redtube

And you can keep adding extra layers as much as you want...

bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/FNB
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/Nedbank
bZrPrFfkJY5#UU/Bank/Standard

Etc.
This way if someone hacks one of your passwords, none of the others will be the same.
Lel, you can't be serious.

Norrad

I have three passwords that I use depending on the security level I need.

A long ass 15 digit password that I use for anything that I need to be very secure.
A 10 digit one that I use for medium security things.
An 8 digit one that I use for everything else.

I modify one of the characters in each of them once a month (maybe the first character this month or then the second character the next) if it's a letter or number then I increment it, if it's a special character I choose another special character etc.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Have them all written on Post-its and stuck under my keyboard. Solid af security.

Good luck to the poor mother****er that "hacks" into my PC. You will find a very sad bank account and lots of boring 1990's games and photo's of my cat.

Last edited:

Ryansr

Expert Member
I have discovered that I like to use Avast Passwords due to its easy integration with my browsers.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I have three passwords that I use depending on the security level I need.

A long ass 15 digit password that I use for anything that I need to be very secure.
A 10 digit one that I use for medium security things.
An 8 digit one that I use for everything else.

I modify one of the characters in each of them once a month (maybe the first character this month or then the second character the next) if it's a letter or number then I increment it, if it's a special character I choose another special character etc.
Have them all written on Post-its and stuck under my keyboard. Solid af security.

Good luck to the poor mother****er that "hacks" into my PC. You will find a very sad bank account and lots of just boring 1990's games and photo's of my cat.
:erm:

https://bitwarden.com/

Problem solved. Also, sign up for a year of WIRED Magazine (cheap - $10 for a year and $10 extra for international customers) so you can get the free YubiKey 4 for new customers. No more expensive than buying just the key, and WIRED is pretty good. Bitwarden + YubiKey USB/NFC 2FA = utterly exceptional security.

Google used to require that all employees use a YubiKey 4, until they started on their own 2FA USB solution.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Where does bitwarden save the passwords, on a secure server somewhere? Like can I access it from another country on my mobile?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Where does bitwarden save the passwords, on a secure server somewhere? Like can I access it from another country on my mobile?
By default it's cloud-based and accessible on all platforms. You can host it yourself if you so desire. Check their website out for info about its security. The primary features are all free, and if you support the developer it's only $10 a year.

Solarion

Honorary Master
By default it's cloud-based and accessible on all platforms. You can host it yourself if you so desire. Check their website out for info about its security. The primary features are all free, and if you support the developer it's only $10 a year.
It's cool I'll go with the default one. I have many of my client logins that I am obligated to secure. They are all in my head but I'll get them all in there just in case you know, I forget which has happened many times and it's a real pain. I am quite forgetful.

I've signed into it now. Pretty straight forward. Thanks Bryn.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
It's cool I'll go with the default one. I have many of my client logins that I am obligated to secure. They are all in my head but I'll get them all in there just in case you know, I forget which has happened many times and it's a real pain. I am quite forgetful.

I've signed into it now. Pretty straight forward. Thanks Bryn.
Glad to be of assistance. I recommend using 25 character passwords with all options enabled and a bunch of minimum special characters with the password generator. There's a lot of peace of mind in having a unique password like that for every site you use.

If you want 2FA, which is recommended, the Google Authenticator mobile app is the easiest bet. A YubiKey 4 is the gold standard though - ultra secure and super fast. You can leave it on your keys to ensure it's always with you.

Basic info about them:
https://www.yubico.com/start/meet-the-yubikey/

Didn't realise they're so expensive ($40):
https://www.yubico.com/product/yubikey-4-series/

So the WIRED deal is really phenomenal value.

awvince

Expert Member
I have one password, but change it yearly. And it has a combo of upper case, numbers, alphabets and special characters