How do you store your passwords?

cobuskruger

Two ways: I have a formula in my head with which I can generate a complex password for any site. Conversely, I can also calculate the password for a site that I haven't used in a while.

Lately though, I've resorted to just let Chrome store and sync them. LastPass and the like can be quite obtrusive, and I rather trust Google's infrastructure and security more than any tiny company. Oh, and nobody's going to buy Google and start using my stuff for new purposes.

Finally, two factor authentication for everything I care about.

Zeyno

I keep my passwords in my head mostly and when i do sometimes forget website passwords and logins firefox sync helps.

TamerSA

As a software developer it pains me to admit that I use a password encrypted excel sheet on my personal computer for everything except my online banking and e-mail passwords...

I just have too many online game or forum accounts that are unique to keep them all in my head.
This is probably one of the worst ways of keeping them as well, but I'd trust a file sitting on my local PC more than using an online service.

raxis

I currently use aWallet, which is similar to the KeePass/KeePassDroid solution. No subscription fee, no data living on some third-party server, cloud backup of your choice (Google Drive or Dropbox at this point).

I had to start using an encrypted store for logins some years ago, since these days there are simply too many logins with too many varying password requirements. Google Smart Lock is excellent, making things very convenient, but I also have to store logins for family members like aging parents.

TedLasso

Expert Member
LastPass - paid for it for a long time - trust their security and what option you can enable to further secure your file - I have over 350 items in my lastpass database. And each password is unique and complex. Can't live without it.

andrevr

I used to use 1Password (all Apple, all the time ) but was lured to LastPass recently by a combination of honesty and transparency of their process and tech. And it didn't hurt that they made "all devices" free around the same time. Now a premium subscriber (pay for what you want to stay around).

Lastpass is not as slick as 1Password. There are little niggles in UI dotted through the apps and execution flow, where LP stumbles. NOT talking about bugs, just here and there, the way of doing something is awkward, or not obvious, or too many clicks. Hoping those wrinkles will smooth out with time, and good reporting.

dijaba1

Company policy to use lastpass and make sure our security challenge score is above 90%

Klipvis

I have been using KeePass for a long time. If you store your database in the cloud you can access it from any PC or mobile device.
For more critical pass words such as banking and e-mail, I change one or 2 letters/digits in the stored password.
Using a password manager allows you to use really long and complicated passwords.