How do you store your passwords?

Igajim

I use RoboForm - with 256 AES encryption and a master password that is 30 characters long...

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
I use RoboForm - with 256 AES encryption and a master password that is 30 characters long...

At the end of the day the passwords are exposed during login, that's probably the weakest point in the chain.

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
I'm looking at SpiderOak Encryptr. Good or bad?

I'm all for using password managers stored in the cloud, but if it's free you need to ask yourself where the money to pay for servers comes from. Just use something tried and tested like 1Password.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
I'm all for using password managers stored in the cloud, but if it's free you need to ask yourself where the money to pay for servers comes from. Just use something tried and tested like 1Password.
Ok, but what solution would work in a file sharing context?
Also, I'm curious, what do businesses use? I mean, say you have 100 IT employees all of who need to have a way of accessing something. Where would they store such details?

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
Ok, but what solution would work in a file sharing context?
Also, I'm curious, what do businesses use? I mean, say you have 100 IT employees all of who need to have a way of accessing something. Where would they store such details?

For secure file sharing? The question of who your adversary is comes in. Are you protecting your personal information from the general public? Are you protecting "secrets" from your employer? Are you protecting projects from overly competitive colleagues? Are you protecting company secrets from competitors?

Each comes with their own threat model that you need to consider and prepare for. I have seen businesses use 1Password for Teams and it's worked quite well. When it comes to sensitive data, don't cheap out or you will get burnt.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I use the same password with slight variations

*** when I create a test user at work and then have to give someone else access :/

KikzAzz

Expert Member
I use KeePass to store my passwords as well as any other confidential information.

KikzAzz

Expert Member
I use KeePass but the database is stored on OneDrive in the cloud. Best of both worlds. It is used and accessed locally, but can download the database on another platform and access my passwords if required.

hawker

Honorary Master
In my head. Not too sure I'd trust a 3rd party service like LastPass.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
I use KeePass but the database is stored on OneDrive in the cloud. Best of both worlds. It is used and accessed locally, but can download the database on another platform and access my passwords if required.
Yeah, but mega.nz auto syncs and I have two PCs on at the same time on occasion. Have had issues syncing the database properly

Slingshot

Expert Member
You can store the portable version of Keepass as well as the database on Google Drive, and run it on any PC where your Google Drive syncs to. As a bonus, you can use the Keepass Android app to access the same database on Google drive on your Android phone.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
In my head. Not too sure I'd trust a 3rd party service like LastPass.

Same. I don't feel comfortable with it at all, since hackers are aware that they will have a proverbial goldmine if they crack it. I assume it hasn't happened yet, but the day it does...

Vegeta

Executive Member
Brain for important ones. Google sync for crap like forums and junk

Fro

For all the rubbish, I use the same password. It really helps when you have a Facebook or Gmail account just for the random sites. Only a few really important things of mine need different passwords.