How DStv was started in a caravan

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
How DStv was started in a caravan

DStv is a continent-wide phenomenon, with its owner MultiChoice delivering satellite broadcast TV and online entertainment to million of viewers.

When the company began its journey however, things were very different.

Johand

Expert Member
So I own Naspers shares. Question for the community - how fast after the unbundling should I sell my Multichoice shares?

Roband

Banned
Is there no tech news worthwhile publishing other than about DSTV or Please Call Me?

damian24

They're missing the "Massive" metal box before the Delta 9000 - the one that was so easily hacked as I recall.

D

dj2381

Expert Member
How to lose readers 101, spam the front page of your website with Dstv articles, this site would be better off just as a forum.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
awesome, i still have an original Delta 9000 decoder with remote :thumbsup: and the Dual View Decoder LOL

LCBXX

Honorary Master
There is no denying that MNet broke new ground w.r.t. television in South Africa.

I think the monumental failure of the DStv Modem/Keyboard and that Android-based decoder (Altech Node) that downloaded content via satellite led to the state we have today. DStv is struggling to evolve as I suspect it is now too cautious to embrace internet-supplied services as it fears weak adoption due to a too-big technical leap required from its mainstream client-base.

Last edited:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Dstv need to get on the page as some of the 1st world countries if they want to make themselves relevant again they need to start offering more than just satellite TV.

They should do what Sky, Virgin and other major TV companies are doing.

Bundling.

Get into a contract agreement with Vumatel or Openserve and give one combined rate for DSTV, Online tv such as netflix and showman as well as your fibre rental line and router.

If they offered an uncapped 100mb fibre line with Netflix, showmax, DSTV premium, DSTV Now and a Voip phone for something like R1500.00 then it starts to look more appealing to customers rather than forking out just R1000.00 for DSTV.

Just my 2 cents

blowdart18

Apart from all the DSTV bashing, wasn't DSTV itself launched before 1995?
I may be wrong but my father passed away in 1994 and I clearly remember having the likes of cartoons and stuff before this.
Unless the satellite space was being offered by Mnet at the time.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Dstv need to get on the page as some of the 1st world countries if they want to make themselves relevant again they need to start offering more than just satellite TV.

They should do what Sky, Virgin and other major TV companies are doing.

Bundling.

Get into a contract agreement with Vumatel or Openserve and give one combined rate for DSTV, Online tv such as netflix and showman as well as your fibre rental line and router.

If they offered an uncapped 100mb fibre line with Netflix, showmax, DSTV premium, DSTV Now and a Voip phone for something like R1500.00 then it starts to look more appealing to customers rather than forking out just R1000.00 for DSTV.

Just my 2 cents
I suspect the leap to get current installers to skill up with the setup of all these enabling services, at this point, is too great. It involves a lot more than just rocking up with a ladder and some coaxial cable to get all those things working in unison.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Apart from all the DSTV bashing, wasn't DSTV itself launched before 1995?
I may be wrong but my father passed away in 1994 and I clearly remember having the likes of cartoons and stuff before this.
Unless the satellite space was being offered by Mnet at the time.
M-Net was before 1995, DSTV only came about in 1995, the SABC also tried their hand in Satellite TV but it was analogue and died a few years later.