How much cheaper Openserve is than Vumatel

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
How much cheaper Openserve is than Vumatel

Openserve recently announced free fibre speed upgrades for wholesale customers, as well as price cuts across a number of products.

A number of local ISPs have confirmed that these speed upgrades and price cuts will be passed on to customers, which means many Openserve customers may find themselves paying less or the same for a connection that is double the speed of their current package.

RVFmal

Expert Member
For as long as there is little overlap in terms of infrastructure and VT maintain a 'monopoly' in the areas they installed, don't expect VT to be chomping at the bit to be reducing their prices.

TPM

Vumatel is losing out to RAIN as their fibre prices are ridiculously high in Goodwood. Telkom mobile is also cost effective but data is limited.

They should go for VOLUMES in the area as there are many senior citizens on a limited budget.
Rather offer lower speed or capped at low prices.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
For as long as there is little overlap in terms of infrastructure and VT maintain a 'monopoly' in the areas they installed, don't expect VT to be chomping at the bit to be reducing their prices.
If there are still Telkom poles up in your area then it's highly likely Openserve will eventually roll out aerial fibre.

Its way cheaper than trenched fibre, as much as X10 cheaper to roll out

Hackson

Well Vuma need to justify the premium the charge now. Especially since I can't get Openserve in a rather prime area.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
And in our area (Brackenhurst / Brackendowns) the OpenServe network is much more stable than the Vumatel network.
Vumatel acquired the network from SADV who bought it from the installing contracter Motheo Construction.
But the network was badly installed and constantly falls over. So OpenServe also has the stability edge.

hj007

Expert Member
Can I switch from Vumatel to openserve? If not, VT can just keep their price higher. Although I also don't understand why Openserve dropped their prices if you can't switch?

RandomGeek

Expert Member
In many (most?) places you only have one provider providing the physical fibre, leading to a case of a localised monopolies

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Can I switch from Vumatel to openserve? If not, VT can just keep their price higher. Although I also don't understand why Openserve dropped their prices if you can't switch?

Don't fully understand your question but will try to answer it.

Yes, you can switch from Vumatel to Openserve, if Openserve fibre is available in your area.

Raphael123

Expert Member
Can mybb do a comparison with Openserve and the other backbone fibre providers like Metreofibre for example. Needless to say the competiton to drive down pricing is in play and other providers need to come to the party!

Budza

Executive Member
Can mybb do a comparison with Openserve and the other backbone fibre providers like Metreofibre for example. Needless to say the competiton to drive down pricing is in play and other providers need to come to the party!

Pick one ISP (ISP of the year? Cool Ideas I think) and compare all FNO prices to get an idea of the spread.
@Jamie McKane :)

roccothekid

It’s a little to late TELKOM (Openserve) your inability to provide service and infrastructure in areas has resulted in your company being a minor supplier as appears to Vumatel.
Stick to corruption rather, y’all seem to be up there with Eskom in that type of operation!

lkswan747

Expert Member
Considering that Vumatel is the only infrastructure available in many areas, I believe that they will milk us subscribers just as Helkom did in the heydays of ADSL. I personally, am not holding my breath for a decrease in pricing from Vumatel. :crying:

Vorastra

Executive Member
If there are still Telkom poles up in your area then it's highly likely Openserve will eventually roll out aerial fibre.

Its way cheaper than trenched fibre, as much as X10 cheaper to roll out
TIL Openserve does aerial. I thought that was exclusive to Vuma.

sammi01

Openserve was the first fibre provider in our area. Was with them for about 2 years before moving to Vumatel. Had no issues but decided to take advamtage of install specials at the time.
Cancelled Vuma earlier this week. Moving back to Openserve.

livw88

I've been using Vumatel for the past 3 years and as they are the only fibre network available in my area/estate, it seems they are cashing in on all their "free" trenching they did years ago. So I either pay the new rates or I have to cancel the service completely. Reminds me of the relationship between a drug dealer and his junkies.

Vorastra

Executive Member
I've been using Vumatel for the past 3 years and as they are the only fibre network available in my area/estate, it seems they are cashing in on all their "free" trenching they did years ago. So I either pay the new rates or I have to cancel the service completely. Reminds me of the relationship between a drug dealer and his junkies.
It's been interesting watching sentiment, regarding Vuma, change.
A few years ago they were the fibre-saviours for a lot of areas, note they seem to be disliked more and more.

randomcat

Expert Member
These roll-outs would have been faster but municipalities are getting greedy with the wayleaves. The fibre companies are creating jobs, just let the do their thing. This will also help prices drop because areas will get more than 1 fibre provider due to low installation costs.